Fly Tying
DarrellP

things I want to learn

marrying slip wings

Tying a classic dry hackle.  I tend to use parachutes.

Making a composite loop.

Pre formed dubbing brushes.

What are you guys working on?

4 minutes ago, DarrellP said:

I Will be starting my first fly with pre formed dubbing brushes tomorrow. This is the video that I will be following. This will be my first time using the brushes and the micro spines. 

13 minutes ago, DarrellP said:

marrying slip wings

Making a composite loop.

I'm working on marrying slip wings.

35 minutes ago, DarrellP said:

marrying slip wings

Making a composite loop.

Ambitious indeed. Good luck my friend, and have fun. I know you can do whatever you want to do.

I'm going to stay in my comfort zone for a while. 🤪

It seems that brushes and composite loops are all the rage in the PNW Steelhead scene.]intruders can be as hard or simple as you want, it seems.

I did a series of swaps a few years ago called a “Skill Builder” Swap. We had a list of things to work on starting with nymphs, then wet flies, then Catskills style dries etc. I also had a guy in Europe who was a professional grade tyer to do a critic of each fly submitted so each guy would know what he needed to work on. Maybe you could try getting some guys to come up with a list of swaps where you all work off a joint list similar to yours. Maybe trade off on who is going to be the Swapmeister of each swap. Just food for thought

BB

For married slip wings, check out Don Bastian's Tying Classic Wet Flies and Advanced Classic Wet Flys DVD.  Better than anything that I have seen on YouTube.  Especially the Advanced DVD where he shows a brilliant way to marry the wings without slips all over your bench and not having to worry about which are right and which are left. 

Dave Brandt did a Catskill Dry Fly DVD which is pretty good.  Featherbender Barry Ord Clarke has number of traditional wrap dry flys.  They are beautiful, but it seems like such a waste to discard half the hackle fibers (by stripping one side) on good quality feathers.  But, they are pretty to us tyers/fishermen.    Good Luck!

Thanks, Bob H

17 hours ago, breambuster said:

I did a series of swaps a few years ago called a “Skill Builder” Swap. We had a list of things to work on starting with nymphs, then wet flies, then Catskills style dries etc. I also had a guy in Europe who was a professional grade tyer to do a critic of each fly submitted so each guy would know what he needed to work on. Maybe you could try getting some guys to come up with a list of swaps where you all work off a joint list similar to yours. Maybe trade off on who is going to be the Swapmeister of each swap. Just food for thought

BB

bream you and I must have some great minds!  I did a swap a few (OK many now!) on FAOL on a Techniques swap - same idea as yours - I included woven bodies and woven hackle on mine and actually had two brave souls try their hand at them!  Lot's of fun!

Kim

BTW - Your gift flies for keeping my secret are in vicriders hands as we speak!

At this point in my life, trying to remember the things I've forgotten about fly tying.  There's always the possibility of creating the perfect mop fly.

marrying slip wings for sure. I've been and will continue working on that. Also tying in a GP crest topping.