Fly Tying
JSzymczyk

one for 2020 - Musky

typically ridiculous story... was trying for some smallmouths in a local creek, and caught 2 which were literally 3 inches long.    Water is very low and very clear around here, we are in near-drought conditions.   Water temps down in the high fifties already though.   I was fishing a#6 white bucktail with a pearl mylar body and a red tail of hackle barbules.   Unweighted.  It's maybe two inches long, probably less.  6lb mono tippet on my 5 weight.   Was swinging it through a deep-ish run, and there you go.  The fly just stopped,  I set the hook and just like all the old stories, for a few seconds thought I was snagged.  Then this thing rocketed out of the water, I about shit my pants,  and it was touch-and-go for what seemed like a very long time.  Every time it ran, jumped, turned, gave a head shake,  I thought that would be the end of it.  It was hooked perfectly in the corner of the jaw and somehow the tippet stayed away from teeth and gill plates.  My fishing buddy was helping by telling me where to step and walk backwards trying to get to some clear area.   twice it had me right to the end of my fly line but never into the backing.   Trying to keep it out of weed clumps and sticks was the trick, and somehow pulled it off.  Happy that we got a couple pics and the fish revived well and quickly,  and swam off strong.   Crazy.  There is no way I should have landed this fish-  perhaps a little bit of skill and a whole lot of luck.   Marked the length on my rod with the help of my buddy- when I got home measured it at 43" but I feel like one to two inches should be taken off for error-  so I'll go with somewhere between 41 and 42.   So far that's the best fish story I have for 2020.  By the way the hook was an old Mustad 36680 4xl Limerick bend, no fancy jewelry store expensive lazer shapened unobtanium alloy stuff. 

musky-fly.jpg

I went SMB stream fishing with my 5 wt today and only caught sunnies. Nice fish, nice story and a great day. 

love it, great story/photo/post. we pay our dues with a few "aw snag....ZZZZzzzippp, holy shp! SNAP, $%5$4! before we have days like that. congrats on a very nice catch.

Not ridiculous at all.  Honestly.  Of course, without the picture, it would be totally unbelievable ... but not ridiculous.

Great story, great picture and congratulations on a NICE fish!