Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Such a rough couple years

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way"- That is from one of my favorite authors and lecturers Alan Watts. It's one of my favorite sayings and it's how I pretty much live my life. Having lost my Dad so young, and my Sister even younger, I came to fully understand the meaning of that saying. It's really been a very tough couple years. Having lost my Sister Tracy last spring, as well as becoming estranged from a family member whom I loved dearly with all my heart, but had no choice due to her life choices, and now tonight finding out I am about to lose one of my closest friends any time now.

Being the introvert personality type I am, I don't have tons of friends (by choice) that are just casual friends, but rather I have a small circle of friends that are very close to me, and they become like family. My friend Richard is one of those whom is like family. We've been great friends for over 25 yrs I'm thankful the last time we were together a month or so ago we had such a good time watching a movie in my theater room, enjoying a movie (Ford vs Ferrari) eating popcorn and good friendship. Both of us are "car guys" and we spent many nights up on Woodward, going to car shows and cruises together, and just having a great time. I'm really going to miss that.

With so much loss these past years, at times I wonder how much more I can handle. But there's no choice, have to just accept what life gives you, enjoy the years you had with family & friends, and live each day to it's fullest because you simply don't know what tomorrow will bring.

I completely understand Steve. Life can be overbearing sometimes, but as your quote alludes to,there is still a lot of fun stuff left to pursue. Losing a person close to you always sucks,but they wouldn't want you sitting around feeling sorry for them,or, yourself. That thought keeps me plodding along when times suck

Steve,

In the last couple of years I have lost one of those very close friends from childhood and a sister in law, both to cancer, both at 50. Another close friend who was diagnosed at the same time is now terminal, at 52.

It sure makes you re-think things. Time is short and much better spent doing the type of things you would do with them rather than just feeling sorry that they are no longer with us.

I'm sorry for your loss.

The reality of getting older is that you're going to lose more and more people who are close to you.  I don't know how the people who reach 100 stand the loneliness.

13 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:
With so much loss these past years, at times I wonder how much more I can handle. But there's no choice, have to just accept what life gives you, enjoy the years you had with family & friends, and live each day to it's fullest because you simply don't know what tomorrow will bring.

First off, my condolences.  Beyond that, it is what it is and 50 kinda sucks for many.  No matter where on the planet, it seems the happiness curve always has that ironic smile.  See below...

Happiness-U-Curve.jpg.06b0d85af80604039835dd9a82b7e116.jpg

From what I can tell, this is a real thing with humans in general.

I'm sorry Steve, these days and at our age it seems all we do is loose more friends and family. I miss the days of family wedding invitations and baby announcements event though I was never able to attend most of them. I was the "kid" in my circle of friends , fishing & hunting camp partners, and sadly watched them go one at a time. I am also a introvert and tell people not to confuse solitude and loneliness. I like of remember them while sitting next to a campfire, drinking coffee, cooking a meal, canning peaches (was my sisters favorite), wading part of a river, or tying with some of the materials they gave me. I can still hear them laughing "If your going to fish with me you need to cast better than that" , taking turns wearing a skunk skin cap until you caught fish, cooking and cleaning assignments at camp. You are right my friend, my life is better for having known them, and I live each day gratefully. 

Me too Chris, I miss actually getting good news. I am not one to compare movies to real life, but there's a line in one of the Indiana Jones movies that rings so true imo. Harrison Ford tells a friend when talking about losing his Dad and Marcus, and says "we've reached the point in life where life stops giving, and starts taking away". Sadly I feel I have reached that point in my life.

My sincerest condolences, Steve.  

As has been stated, as we get older, so do others.  We lose those who leave early.  It hurts, and there's no words that can dull the pain.

But there are so many things I want to do.  So many projects I want to do.  So much fun still in my future that I have no desire to be one of the departed.  I mourn the losses, and move on with my life.  I think we owe it to the memory of those who are gone, to wrench every bit of "life" from every waking minute we have.

2 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Windstorm here all day.

It just showed up here, screaming winds and sideways rain waiting to loose power myself.

On 11/15/2020 at 6:40 PM, Steeldrifter said:

Windstorm here all day. Friggin power went out, on my generator now. Someone come put me out of my misery please. Unreal.

Is the power back on?