Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Some encouragement

We would love to see some new tiers posting on "Flies from the vise" so here's a deal.

If you have a fly you'd like to tie but don't have all the materials for it, let me know what you need and I will send you the materials (if I have it, I have a lot of materials). The only catch is, you have to post the finished fly in "Flies from the vise"

Just say "I'd like to tie a                but need              " If size is a requirement, as in a hackle, let me know that. PM me your address and I will send you what you need for at least a few flies (again, if I have it).

This offer is for everybody except you exotic classic fly guys, because I don't have any "Belted Blue Curmudgeon" feathers.

7 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

We would love to see some new tiers posting on "Flies from the vise" so here's a deal.

If you have a fly you'd like to tie but don't have all the materials for it, let me know what you need and I will send you the materials (if I have it, I have a lot of materials). The only catch is, you have to post the finished fly in "Flies from the vise"

Just say "I'd like to tie a                but need              " If size is a requirement, as in a hackle, let me know that. PM me your address and I will send you what you need for at least a few flies (again, if I have it).

This offer is for everybody except you exotic classic fly guys, because I don't have any "Belted Blue Curmudgeon" feathers.

That is one heck of a generous offer, Mark! I hope others take you up on it and venture out of comfort zones! I certainly don't need any materials, but you post gave me the nudge to jump into the Flies from the Vise! 

That being said, if you were to open up the coffers of exotics, I would love to tie a pheasant tail nymph variation with some Quetzal! 😜

Darn, cause I was looking for an extra fancy "Belted Blue Curmudgeon" tail feather. Very generous offer Mark.

Very nice offer, Mark, you're a sweetheart of a guy. 

I'd love to take some of your tying material off your hands, but truth be told (for me, anyway) , it's not a lack of material but the hectic waning days of summer that are just too too busy for me to sit at the tying desk.  I really do appreciate those who do continually post their ties, as I can tie vicariously through them.      

Nice offer Mark!  My problem's not of material (ask anyone in my swaps!) but of a camera that works.  Had a wonderful Cannon years back that took fantastic close-ups with very fine detail.  Was flying back from Florida and I guess some baggage handler needed a last minute aniversary gift.  My newest can't get up close and now it doesn't like to share it's pictures with anyone.  I guess I could use my limited watercolor skills!

Kim

19 minutes ago, WWKimba said:

Nice offer Mark!  My problem's not of material (ask anyone in my swaps!) but of a camera that works.  Had a wonderful Cannon years back that took fantastic close-ups with very fine detail.  Was flying back from Florida and I guess some baggage handler needed a last minute aniversary gift.  My newest can't get up close and now it doesn't like to share it's pictures with anyone.  I guess I could use my limited watercolor skills!

Kim

OK, send me all your flies and I'll take pictures for you. No return address necessary.😄🤣

I'd do that BUT maybe i'd better tell you what broke my other camera! 😁

Does your new camera have a macro setting? You might consider diopters. You can get a set of four on Amazon or eBay- +1, +2, +4, +10.  I have two cameras, Canon T7 and a Canon SX530 HS. Both have diopters for magnification. Actually the 530 takes better macro photos with a +10 diopter than the T7 with the 18-55mm macro lens and stacked diopters.

4 hours ago, WWKimba said:

Kim

I know my pictures do not compare to some but it’s a Fly tying site not a photography site so I’m not concerned in the lest with my pictures making the cover.  I just use my iPhone 7 camera which I find shows my poor tying skills sufficiently. 

On 9/1/2021 at 8:20 PM, Poopdeck said:

I know my pictures do not compare to some but it’s a Fly tying site not a photography site so I’m not concerned in the lest with my pictures making the cover.  I just use my iPhone 7 camera which I find shows my poor tying skills sufficiently. 

Well said-  My iphone photos also show all sorts of mistakes in what I thought were pretty good flies while they were in the vise.  Maybe Apple has back door software that photo shops in mistakes onto the pictures of my flies overnight?  Yes that must be it.  Apparently Apple hates fly tyers.

1 hour ago, WWKimba said:

ALL my flies look fantastic -- that is until I put my glasses on!

Kim

I've  known some girls like that, too. Keep tying and things will improve. Thing over 25 years, I've found that fish aren't as picky as we think.