Fly Tying
Moshup

Hackle inflation !!!

Like many of you who have posted I’m pretty set with my hackle inv but I still may lust over 

a particular variant but at the current prices I need get get ahold of that vice.  I have many chicken

coops in my neighborhood so I might take to making a midnight raid or two and blame it on

the fox.

b

255B0118-AB30-4319-9E60-C2A597805B79.jpeg

It's caught up with some vise manufacturers as well.  For years a Peak rotary vise was $149, then it went up last year to 155 and now stands at 185, for the exact same vise with no real improvements that I can see.

17 hours ago, flytire said:

she probably wont be able to afford the air conditioning bill either. probably didnt think that through

$3.39 for gas today and thats coming down in price 👍

if you want to play you gotta pay. i have enough hackle to last another 40 years of tying. gotta use up the stock from the 1980s

Even in the south AC is a luxury but in the North you can't live without heat. The weather guessers are saying single digits over the next few days.

Yes our fuel cost have dropped a little recently but it's still $1.13 more than a year ago and most economic forecast are predicting $4+ per gallon for gasoline by spring. 

13 hours ago, Jaydub said:

Global warming should reduce her need for heating fuel. 

Odd but when I was in grade school in the 50s, we were told the earth was cooling. There has been the idea of a negative population growth across the globe but that will kill the consumer economy.

I remember that earth is cooling belief back then, followed by in the 1970's we are heading for another ice age.

I'm a believer, but sometimes when I listen to some today's talking heads I begin to wonder.

1 hour ago, skeet3t said:

Odd but when I was in grade school in the 50s, we were told the earth was cooling. There has been the idea of a negative population growth across the globe but that will kill the consumer economy.

That is not quite true.

The problem is population growth where the means to support the population without environmental damage is non existent. Example is the slashing and burning of the Amazon forest, overpopulation in certain nations of Africa, overpopulation in India, etc.

Meanwhile, other countries like the USA have a birth rate that is below the rate of replacement = 2.1 per female. Japan is even worse. So industrialized countries that can support and need population growth to support the workforce have low birth rates.

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/JPN/japan/fertility-rate

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/fertility-rate#:~:text=The fertility rate for U.S.,a 0.11% increase from 2020.

16 hours ago, Moshup said:

Like many of you who have posted I’m pretty set with my hackle inv but I still may lust over 

a particular variant but at the current prices I need get get ahold of that vice.  I have many chicken

coops in my neighborhood so I might take to making a midnight raid or two and blame it on

the fox.

b

Beautiful photo Moshup- I'm also pretty well set with hackle and at the rate I tie a full cape will probably last my lifetime.   I'm glad I bought when I did given what they are selling for this year.  Dry fly mini packs that sold for $14 at Cabela's a year ago are now $19.  That's a pretty serious jump in just 12 months.

My brother in law lives 500' behind me and has chickens.  While walking my dog I see Fox and Coyotes pretty regularly looking for an easy meal- 😲  He has at least 2 that I've asked to "pluck" assuming they avoid becoming four legged food.

I agree the price for feathers these days is ridiculous. I'm like most here, i will never go through all the hackle i have, for some reason i still find myself drooling---wanting more, its a sickness.

Fly shops these days set their own price on hackle, especially certain variants, some times 4 times what its worth. I don't blame them, their not blind and see how some take advantage and why they shouldn't, i blame the big auction site.

More important, that is why we have to help out young tiers just starting out.

SilverCreek, that is what we were told. Of course, things have changed and not for the better. Over 80% of all lifeforms that have existed on earth are extinct. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

18 hours ago, Moshup said:

so I might take to making a midnight raid or two and blame it on the fox

LOL - No need for such drastic measures, I think it was Harry Darby who would pluck feathers off his favorite birds and let them grow back.  

That's correct. I spent way too much time at the Darbee's place, and that is exactly what they did.
When the bird was no longer a viable producer for feathers it became food.🍽️🍷

Not bad if done right. I had lunch on more than one occasion while sitting in their kitchen nibbling on saltines with jellied chicken and sipping scotch with Harry. Maybe it was the whiskey that made the old bird more palatable 😂😂😂

1 minute ago, skeet3t said:

SilverCreek, that is what we were told. Of course, things have changed and not for the better. Over 80% of all lifeforms that have existed on earth are extinct. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

I understand what you are saying, about being told certain things. But being told something is not proof that it is true. I think you will agree with that.

Humans change their environment to benefit humans. Furthermore humans decide what lifeforms are "good" and which ones are "bad". For example, polio is bad so we have eradicated it. I think that is a good thing. So some eradications are good.

The problem with other extinctions is that we don't know and cannot ever know whether something that becomes extinct because of human action could have been beneficial in the future.

I am old enough to remember when Professor Paul Ehrlich wrote "The Population Bomb" which warned of impending global mass starvation. He was one of my professors at Stanford and what he missed was the ability of farmers to and scientists to increase crop yields per acre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Population_Bomb

Defenders will say that his prediction will EVENTUALLY come to pass. But is that not like saying the our sun will eventually burn itself out. Many predictions like Erlich's state the obvious and defenders keep pushing back the goal posts.

What is valuable to me are warnings with practical SOLUTIONS. It does me no good to tell me that fossil fuels causes global warming when the weather prediction is temps below aero and the choice is between using my furnace or freezing to death!