Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Announcement of some changes

Just to keep you all informed. We will be & already have started making a few changes here and there on the site. I have started getting rid of some of the links and redirects which have been leading to dead ends for a long time now. Also will be condensing a few forums such as cold water/warm water/saltwater/realistic into just the tying bench soon. When we started the site two decades ago we had specific forums for each because we had a mod for each forum, plus back in the heyday of forums we had enough activity where it warranted having a specific forum for each, back in the day we had 200+ posts per day across the site. Times change and some people moved away from forums and onto social media, so activity really doesn't require so many specific forums for tying now to where we have it broke up into various sections. So soon it will just all be under the tying bench so it's more active and doesn't add length to the site without a lot of activity.

We are also kicking around ideas about adding a couple new forums for more general outdoor stuff to give people a place to talk about other things such as hunting or other outdoor activities. Site will still be a tying site first & foremost, but adding a few other things for you guys to offer more "outdoor" related conversations and maybe bring some new activity/people into the site & the tying world that way as well.

you guys run a good ship, what ever the captain wants  ok.  one problem i have is with the pages  .for example feb flies1234 10.  there is no way to look at page 5-9  the up or down arrows dont work  if i look at page 4 then i have to go back to the forum and click on 3 to see it     suggestions?

31 minutes ago, richmce said:

you guys run a good ship, what ever the captain wants  ok.  one problem i have is with the pages  .for example feb flies1234 10.  there is no way to look at page 5-9  the up or down arrows dont work  if i look at page 4 then i have to go back to the forum and click on 3 to see it     suggestions?

Something we've been dealing with. Some days it works for me and some days it doesn't.

10 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Something we've been dealing with. Some days it works for me and some days it doesn't.

Same here-  I'm also still getting that "Resource Limit Reached" screen on occasion (whatever that means).

Appreciate all of your work for our forum.  Very good ideas.  

One suggestion would be an archery forum.

Please don't allow politics or religious posts.

This is a fine site and it sounds like you are only improving it! 👍👍  Thank you for your hard work!

Kim

4 hours ago, DarrellP said:

Appreciate all of your work for our forum.  Very good ideas.  

One suggestion would be an archery forum.

Please don't allow politics or religious posts.

That's an idea we are thinking about. Perhaps a hunting forum with archery & firearms discussions. Because I'm gonna guess that at a good amount of fly anglers most likely are into firearms & bows as well. So thinking a forum for those discussions might be a pretty active forum.

You will never have to worry about politics & religion on this site. While I think they are two extremely important topics, and I have strong views on both, nothing can cause arguments quicker than discussions online about those. Those discussions are best left to in person talks and not online so we will never have that here.

Sounds good. The forum has been a good platform, having good folks who are respectful of others. Thanks for the suggestion; I support the idea plus look forward to contributing to the new forum sections. Teaching a grandson to hunt and fish.

I'm working on some things right now so if you guys see some things stop working or move all the sudden that's me ;) Working on "re-ordering" things as well. That way the tying and real active forums are at the top, then the stuff that doesn't get much activity is down lower on the main forum page when I'm done. That way you guys don't have to scroll down a ton to get to any of the real active forums.

All I can say guys is you are doing a super job...and the changes that seem to be coming can only improve what is happening here.

Thank you all for your hard work!!!

Alright done for the day working on the site, have to get to some real work now (rods). Have rearranged a number of things, cleaned up a lot of old useless things that were dead-ends and lead to the old defunct TFF site and such. Condensed a number of things to help shorten the sites main page a good deal. And added two new forums for you guys. If you look down by the Lodge just under it now you will see two new forums. One for hunting/firearms/archery discussions. And below that another new one for any other outdoor related activities. Figure you guys might like that one, if it doesn't get a lot of action we'll ditch it later but we'll see how it goes.

doesnt the "lodge" forum cover off topic subjects such as hunting, firearms, archery, outdoors etc?

how about a rod building forum instead of posting in the tying bench forum

can you open the "timely tips" category so we can add more fly tying tips?

Most people don't use the lodge for those topics, not sure if it doesn't come across to them how it was meant to be used years ago, but it will be just for things that don't fit anywhere else now and may even be deleted down the road. I never post my rods in the tying bench. The "tying forums" is just a header because we need to name parent categories. Plus I keep my rod pics up where the activity is so guests see them, because after 20yrs of doing this job without pay, gotta at least make it worth my  efforts here keeping this place afloat ;)  I may even get rid of the multiple parent categories and just have one group of forums under one parent category to make things more uniform at some point. I should be able to open the timely tips. I didn't even know it was closed. Not sure when that was done but gimme a min and I'll look into it now for ya.