Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DWSmith

A noticeable change since retirement.

As I've stated here, too many times I'm sure, I retired in late January.  A significant change I've noticed in myself is the improved ability to concentrate.  I'm actually able to read books again and enjoy them.

These aren't just light reading but they're not too heavy either for example a couple of Stephen Hawking books I never completed in the past.

I had recognized for years that the company I was working for was an ADHD corporation with a massive group of unfocused, disorganized managers that couldn't manage their ways out of wet paper bags and it was taking a toll on me.  I'm so glad to be out of that dump.

Anyone else notice significant changes in themselves after they retired?

I never took good care of myself when I worked full time. Total turn-around after even just semi-retirement.

Concur with both, 

Lack of personal care and stress while working definitely contributed to the cardiac issues that surfaced later.  Taking the time for exercise and better diet have helped a lot, not to mention improved psychological health.  Fly Tying and Fishing are also very beneficial.   

I still don't understand how I found time to go to work - I'm way too busy to fit that in now! . . . However, I do miss guiding sometimes . . .   

Regards,

i retired from designing submarines in 2015

i no longer have to be in the parking garage early enough to find a parking spot before everybody else finds one

i dont have to teach young no experience know it all draftsmen

i dont have to meet any deadlines to get submarine drawings released on time

i dont have to fight the idiots on the highway getting to work or getting home

the mileage on my care is greatly reduced

i had a good supervisor but at times she could be a.......(fill in the blank)

i no longer have to worry about my secret security clearance (i forgot all of the secrets anyway)

I retired twice, first from the Navy then from a DOD contractor three years ago (covid timing was perfect with my FRA). I worked part time after that for four months to keep from going stir-crazy and adjust a little. My family seems to think I have nothing to do and always seems to find projects for me to keep me out of trouble. I am now well adjusted, do not miss work at all, and wonder how I ever found time to work 40 - 60 hours a week and will have to learn to tell family no and hire someone:rolleyes:

I enjoy my coffee and breakfast out on the deck now, feeding birds, reading and taking time to enjoy things I did not have time for following the rat race. Fishing in a spring rain with the red wing blackbirds singing like my childhood memories. I pray for good health to be able to enjoy simple pleasures and to keep tying and casting.

My only retirement came in 1995 when I was lucky enough to get an early retirement offer  and jumped at it.  Inside of a month or two in "retirement" I went back to school,  received my captain's license, and became a full time fishing guide - then began learning how little I knew (and that's been an on-going process...).  The next time I retire they'll have to drag me kicking and screaming away from the waters I love... I've become convinced that "retirement" isn't something I'm interested in at all... 

Within six months of retiring - I felt five years younger... and so it goes.  I'm 75 now and still guiding whenever I have anglers - day or night if possible.  How much longer I'll be able to do that  - I have no idea... but it's what I've chosen to do...  Here's one of my "office photos" -and no, that's not a 'gator... 

bPui8rF.jpg

The American saltwater crocodile is a fish eater, mostly... so we tend to ignore them at the ramp... This photo is down at Flamingo in Everglades National Park... 

I retired from my last "real" job in 1984, when I was 24 years old. Since I have not received a pension or SS since then I realize I just quit the job. Since then, I've done whatever I wanted, and have no regrets. Never been in trouble, never needed drugs, never smoked or drank. The only one I answer to is my wife Angel.

I filled all that spare time with guiding big game hunters and fishermen, trapping and commercial fishing, making custom knives and tying flies.

It sounds like I'm gloating, I'll shut-up now.

My official retirement date is still 3 years off.  I am SOOOO looking forward to being free from the work side of my life.

However, I have ALWAYS been able to separate my work and home lives.  The only thing I don't do often enough because of work is "work out".  I know I'm more out of shape than I'd like to be.  Not bad, just not as good as I'd like.  I'm looking forward to being able to spend some time everyday stretching and walk/running.  Other than that, I have many hobbies that occupy my home hours.  Those hobbies will keep me pleasantly busy for as many years as I am alive and able to do them.

I can understand your question, DWSmith.  I don't, however, think I'll have such a transition when I do finally retire.  I'm pretty much R.O.A.D. as it is.

I like retirement so much I’ve retired twice so far and I’m thinking about retiring for the 3rd time. My problem is I like my job as much as I like fishing so I’m planning on working another year, maybe more maybe less. Work and I are getting old so I am on the month to month plan but I like where I’m working, I like the people I work for and I like those I work with and always have.  I happen to work for and with some of my closest friends. No matter where I worked I always took the approach that I was on a team and I always want to be on the winning team so I did everything to make sure my team wins. Bitching and complaining bummed me out so I didn’t do it nor would I listen to it since it only hurt the team and bummed me out. Misery does in fact love company so I steered clear of it. I understand that I am different but working keeps me mentally sharp, content and happy, I think. 

I’ve always kept myself in reasonably good shape. I don’t lift weights or run anymore but I walk, ride a peloton and exercise with really  light dumbbells. When I do retire my plan is to fish, join the local senior center, take some adult learning night classes, volunteer  somewhere, perhaps at a local historical site or state park, and maybe help out an upstart business if there’s one that needs help. Isn’t that what old people do? 

I've always loved to write code so the high points in my career are when doing software development.

When companies started ditching their contractors (I was one) I hired on with a good paying company in the area doing a job a wasn't crazy about but earning good pay.  I thought I'd put in a year or two and transfer into a software development group.  Nope!  My manager wouldn't let me go.

I had a good team lead and managers get moved around so much I just stuck it out.

Twenty years later I was still in the same dead end position, still making good money, the manager was long gone, and my team lead had been let go.  Bummer.

I really had planned to work until I toppled over.  As I said above in my first post the management was confused, disorganized, and as a group appeared to have ADHD.  Time to go.

If I had been at a mentally stable company doing the type of work I loved doing in the past I'd still be working.

When I retired many people had things they wanted me to do. The all told me the projects were great things. 

I asked if they were working on it. All said not, so my answer was that it was not that important.  

I jog about 4  miles 6 days a week. Fish the other morning. Tie flies for myself and 4 friends.  Help at the Food Pantry about 6 hours a week.

Also have a garden.  Help with the sound system at church.    REad about 5 books a week.

Rick 

PS Retirement means a new set so you can go faster. 

9 hours ago, DWSmith said:

I had a good team lead and managers get moved around so much I just stuck it out.

Twenty years later I was still in the same dead end position, still making good money, the manager was long gone, and my team lead had been let go.  Bummer.

And here is the position I find myself in. Everybody I started with are either dead, disabled, retired or about to retire. 37 years later, I am suddenly the old guy. Don’t get me wrong the younger guys are great to work with but because of our age gaps and the different stages of life they are largely just co-workers. Great people but I have children older than them and it’s just different. Perhaps it’s time. Maybe another month or two. 

I agree with all of you. Last 30 years of my career ( if you want to call it that) I was self-employed working 60 hours a week. Moved to the mountains of North Carolina into a move in ready house. Yeah, right. You all know how that goes. Now work when I want to, except when someone needs something fixed, or grandkids need us, etc. My wife and I volunteer with a local dog rescue which is fulfilling. I would recommend to anyone to retire early enough to enjoy it!!

Unlike many I was happy in my jobs I had leading the way to retirement. I worked on the North Shore of Lake Superior shipping the iron ore pellets on boat on Lake Superior. Worked crazy hours in shift work but every third week had 5 days off and spent a lot of time in the Boundary Waters until I got a cruiser for Lake Superior and my 6-Pack Coast Guard license. Literally lived on the water summer and winter and loved my job operating cranes, shovels, and other heavy equipment. Didn't work in the mine itself since that was up on the Iron Range and they shipped ore to us to process.

When the plant shut down I went back to school at 42 and took 2 years of Civil Engineering Tech courses. Went to work for the State of MN and after a few years of various jobs I went to CADD working on the highways for design work. Did both major changes and development of north end of metro on the freeways and lots of other design jobs. For me every day on the programs that did the work on the computers was like playing video games on 2 big screen monitors. Worked with a great bunch of guys and gals and most of the engineers in charge were women who kept the ball rolling but ALMOST never acted like bosses. 

Now being happy in my jobs did not mean I didn't take full advantage of a buyout program at the State for medical coverage and moved away from the snow belt and sure miss Lake Superior and the inland lakes and rivers full of bass, walleye and trout. Things were great until I shattered a femur just before the Covid crisis and now things are still good but I just can't get out and do stuff like I used to with two good legs. Being 80 on a walker and oxygen tends to slow a person down but I'm still planning a trip to the White River this fall so I can fish with Woodenlegs and get him to carry my gear on Dry Run Creek, a creek running from the hatchery to Norfork River plum full of big fish and only a special handicap pass gets you on it. Never know when it might be a last major trip and don't want to miss it.