Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Hellgramites

9 hours ago, Hardyrod1974 said:

Mark,

Any chance for a few intermediate photos as you tie the next one?

I'd like to do some up and some extra photos would sure be helpful.

Nice work !

Rich

Sure, When I get the pattern down good, I'll post a SBS. Thanks Mark

2 hours ago, SalarMan said:

Crazy good Mark. I know a couple of smallmouth streams where those bad boys would be deadly!!

I tied them for Havasu. They should be good for largemouth and big sunfish as well as trout up here, but yes, I'm pretty cranked up about fishing small mouth with them. Thanks.

On 11/14/2023 at 4:17 PM, Mark Knapp said:

My fat fingers had trouble, even with a crocheting needle. Even my needle is too fat for them, I really need to get a smaller needle. Thanks

I get it. I use one of those latch/rug hook tools. Wooden Bent Handled Latch Hook Tool for Latch Hook Canvas and Rug Making

1 hour ago, Sandan said:

I get it. I use one of those latch/rug hook tools. Wooden Bent Handled Latch Hook Tool for Latch Hook Canvas and Rug Making

I like that. I've been using tweezers to tie knots. They work quite well. Thanks for that. I'm writing an SBS for them right now.

I gave up on helg patterns a while ago . Those are very realistic Mark.I was obsessed with them.As a kid we would flip rocks or seine net them.A live one below a float would not make it 10 feet on a drift in the creeks and small rivers.Sucks that i can np longer access most of that water.People behaving badly on private access got it most of it posted and fenced off.I did get a nice smallmouth in Lake Michigan on Wednes day on a Goby looking tube jig.They get big in the lake and are pretty abundant but not the same as creek smallies on flies.A buddy of mine has tentative plans for Havasu this winter too.I am jealous.

1 hour ago, nathan said:

Amazing fly!..How much movement do you get from the bead chain body?..Nate

Well, thanks for the kudos. Well need to wait for a report on the movement. All my water is frozen and I won't know till I try them in April. I can bend them into a "U" by hand right now. Water and whipping them around will help when I use them. I'll flex them a bit when I use them too. We'll see....