Fly Tying
coulee fishing

what hooks do you use?

Mustad, DaiRiki, and eagle Claw. I also tie alot of flies on Aberdeen hooks. They look like a 2 or 3X long hook.

Crappie

99% of the time I tie on Daiichi. I like the durability and the micro-barbs. Much better than the big gnarly mustad barbs.

I agree--the big barbs on the Mustad are one reason I switched to Tiemco (though I use some Daiichi in sizes/styles Tiemco doesn't offer)

(I recently bought some Varivas hooks from an English supplier. I'm curious to see how they tie and fish.)

Yes, the premium hooks are expensive, but at the relatively low volume I tie, hook cost represents a pretty small percentage of tying costs.

I use Tiemco, Gamakatsu, Varivas, Eagle Claw, and occasional Partridge depending on the type of fly I'm tying. The only Mustad I use on a regular basis is the 3777. It's the only mustad that I've come across that's sharp out of the box.

My tying is now almost exclusively soft hackles and nymphs. The traditional hook for both was one with a Limerick bend, so I use the Daiichi style 1480 in sizes 14 to 20. I makes a beautiful soft hackle.

David

All of them...

I have Mustad, TMC, Bass Pro, Dai-riki, Cabelas, Eagle Claw, Partridge, Gamakatsu, and Daiichi in that order of quantity

Mostly mustad, and a few tiemcos. I have been happy with mustads, and they are priced pretty nice. I'll vary if I'm looking for a particular shape, gap or so forth.

I use Mustad & TMC....I usually buy the Mustad 100ct from J Stockard..they seem to have the best prices.

I also use mostly Mustad hooks, usually the standard hooks, not the signature series. I have a few odds and ends of other brands. Usually if I am at a shop and want some particular style that isn't stocked in Mustad or whatever. I can't seem to afford 6-7-8 dollars for 25 hooks. I've not had any memorable problems with Mustads in the 25 years or so I've been tying them on. I have no probs mashing those "big gnarly" barbs down. I've only ever seen the high dollar hooks break in vises too... From panfish to king salmon, I do not remember having a hook "fail".

Dairiki and daiichi. Both are quality hooks. I have no problem with mustads or any hook really TMC hooks are over priced but good.

Been using Mustad since I started tying, lately been using Diachi, switched to Saber half the price and good quality. No problems in 2 yrs.

I've been using Mustad hooks for as long as I've been tying, which is approaching 30 years. Are they perfect? No. But they're as close to perfect as I need. I am comfortable with the styles and numbering system. I've felt no need to change.

I use Mustad, Montana Fly and Togen. Tried those Sabers last year and thought they were pretty decent to tie on. Don't know what the deal is, but they never left the house and they are oxidizing already. Glad I only bought 800 of them. :ripped: