Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

D2No8o7.jpgDock light fishing wasn't too bad, caught another one around this size maybe a couple inches bigger, on a white shrimp pattern

i know I'm a bit bloody,both fish bled but didn't get gill hook, and both swam off perfectly fine like nothing was wrong

Well not my target species today but managed this channel on a woolly bugger that was supposed to be hunting for largemouth. Lots of fun and a pretty good fighter. Hooked another that got off.

P9160040_zpsojte47m9.jpg

Well not my target species today but managed this channel on a woolly bugger that was supposed to be hunting for largemouth. Lots of fun and a pretty good fighter. Hooked another that got off.

P9160040_zpsojte47m9.jpg

Nice

I often thought catfish were rather sluggish slow moving fish. Now I realize these fish can be quite aggressive and fast. I was stripping and pausing at a brisk pace along a weed bed when I noticed a wake behind the fly then it took.

People often think that all catfish are just scavengers that feed off the bottom. This is an old wives' tale from way back, due to the fact that catfish feed near the bottom 99% of the time.

Fact is, most larger catfish are predatory. There's, definitely, not enough to scavenge on to keep large catfish healthy. If there's insufficient food at the bottom, they move up into the water column and start chasing bait fish.

I know a number of catfish anglers in Texas. Many of them use jug-lines. The largest catfish are, almost always, caught on live bait fish.

I use to fish a lake in east Texas and a section of the lake Cormorants(Water Turkeys) would roost in the trees, when we ran our boat in there they would all take off.....about 10 mins. later bowling ball splashes every where. I thought they were bass but could never catch anything.

Talked to a park ranger about it and he told me they were catfish hitting the feathers & poop the birds left behind when taking off.

Off to the vise to tie a "Poop" fly, little bit of white deer hair spun on a hook with some white marabou mixed in with it. Cast it out under a tree and just let it sit(can't move it or they don't hit it) Pretty soon I was catching 2lb-10lb catfish top water on my new poop fly. It was a blast.

I've caught quite a few channel cats on streamers in the past bass fishing..even caught some on spinner baits before.

Well now this is starting to make total sense. Recently the water flow has been purposefully slowed for water management. Perhaps the bottom feed has been affected and now the cats are feeding in locations and water columns we had not seen them in previously in the mid summer months. This particular area of river I was fishing today is well known bass habitat and maybe now the cats are moving in to compete for a tightening food supply. That would explain the double cat hookup today. I'd sure like to get into some bigger ones so I'll be more observant in the future.

Mike ... the cats aren't actually eating the bird poop. Well, not regularly, anyway.

But the poop feeds a thick population of algae and microscopic fauna. Thread Fin and Gizzard Shad feed on that population. Catfish monopolize those areas and feed on the shad. Running a shad mimicking fly through the area should produce well.

Yeah they were actually hitting the poop....white plob floating on the "boom" cat comes up and hits it. I fished all kinds of patterns for bass never caught nothing

Poop fly..haha. I love it. I've seen carp eating holly berries that fall out of the tree when birds take off. I should probably try a berry fly. Could be lots of fun.

An flw division tournament is in town and I drew a crowd this afternoon watching me fly fishing. I live a couple blocks from Roland Martin's marina and was fishing a canal near the weigh in stands that happened to be where the anglers meeting was. I was pulling 12-15 inch bass out left and right, with a few mayans and bluegill mixed in. I was too proud to take pictures of the bass with everyone watching so I snuck one before I left.

I kept waiting on Roland or Scott to come ask me to be on a show. Maybe another time.😊

post-59266-0-41523300-1474075648_thumb.jpg