Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

Dagnabit.. too big.

First one since season opened. Not on a fly, I have to get a couple for the dinner table before I start throwing a fly rod for them.

It's a good sign though. Fall is here.

post-59266-0-79278700-1476531145_thumb.jpg

Pulled out a butt ugly popper from my "forgotten box". I was looking for a peacock, but... what do you know...?

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

He sure wanted that popper Bim, that was no slashing pass at it !

I know very well that it is legal to keep snook, but just keep in mind that when there population numbers drop, YOU are at fault. I'm not saying I never keep fish, quite the opposite, but I only keep if they are not a very fragile fishery, like snook. I take mangrove snapper, mackerel etc. But I would never take a snook

Just keep in mind that every fish you kill is that much less that I will have, that your kids and my kids, and the next generations will have. And nice fish btw, she was a fatty

The slot limit rules have revived the Snook populations and they are no longer in any danger of depletion. Sports anglers who buy licenses, follow the rules and keep the allowed numbers of fish are NOT the reason fish populations decline. Quite the contrary, law abiding anglers are partially responsible for population rebounds of all kinds of fish. License fees are used to fund conservation efforts.

There is NO reason a few legally harvested (sorry JS) fish can't be enjoyed on the table.

Yeah I figured, I'm doing my part and I encourage you to do yours. The day I start seeing them in fish markets will be a sad day indeed

Just making an observation, and I don't know a lot about salt water fish so bear with me, but if one did come across Snook in a fish market wouldn't that be a good sign that the population is growing?

Would be a sad day indeed. I don't think it will ever come to that.

I understand your concern flats, but I don't think my 5-10 per season I keep will have any impact on future generations.

I don't see it as a fragile fishery either. Yes, the population took a hit 6 years ago but not to the extent of gloom and doom for the species.

I'd be in trouble with the wife and kids if I let every slot fish go. They taste too good.: v )

Just making an observation, and I don't know a lot about salt water fish so bear with me, but if one did come across Snook in a fish market wouldn't that be a good sign that the population is growing?

It would seems so, but they are too valuable of a sport fish for that to happen. Same reason you don't see smallmouth or largemouth bass and panfish at fish markets. Also they are only found in the US from central Florida south, I think.. not sure if they have them in the Texas coast, don't think so, but their limited US distribution definitely would not be able to supply a commercial US market.