Fly Tying
meyer2792

Bodkin Care and Vise advice

So when using the bodkin with glue how do you care for it.

As in do you let the glue dry and scrap it clean or do you try to wipe it clean before it dries?

Also, under this thread I would like to ask which is a good vise for the price? I would like to upgrade to one that rotates because as I notices as I been becoming a better tier a rotating vise would make things a lot easier.

Wipe off any wet excess head cement with a small piece of paper towel

Or

Scrape off any dried head cement with whatever you have

Drill a hole in an empty film canister and stuff it with wire scrubby. When your booking gets caked up with dried head cement just stab it into the scrubbing to scrape off the cement

If it's in your price point the I recommend a renzetti traveller (yes I'm biased) :)

Drill a hole in an empty film canister and stuff it with wire scrubby. When your booking gets caked up with dried head cement just stab it into the scrubbing to scrape off the cement

This method is fantastic, have used it a long time. Even store the needle in the film canister. Then it is stationary and easy to find.

Henrik

i try to clean cement off my bodkin immediately after application, using whatever is handy but some dried stuff always ends up accumulating. I keep a package of steel wool and clean the dried glue off with a pinch of that - it works quite well.

If you're looking to upgrade to a "true rotary" vise, I would steer you toward the Peak vise. Flytire's recommendation of the Renzetti Traveler is a good one, too; I only plug the Peak because I own one, whereas I've never tied on a Traveler. The Peak is a bit less expensive (around $150), and it is a very good, sturdy, dependable, headache-free tool.

If you want to stay under $100, the Danvise would be your best bet. I tied on one of those for several years and liked it okay, but I wasn't a huge fan of the Delrin (plastic) construction.

Hook & Hackle (and some other retailers I'm sure) sell a true rotary for less than $100, but I've never tried one and don't know anyone who has, so I can't speak to their quality.

I clean off dried head cement on my bodkin with sand paper.

As far as a true rotary vise goes, I've been very happy with my danvise which I've tied thousands of flies on over the past several years with no issues. It's also priced right at $89.

Don't bother asking which vise...everyone just recommends the one they have.

Seriously, Type in "vise" in the search box at the top of the page and read the 70+ pages there.

Don't bother asking which vise...everyone just recommends the one they have.

Seriously, Type in "vise" in the search box at the top of the page and read the 70+ pages there.

I disagree. I own a Thompson Model A, really cheap copy of a Thompson (given to me), Danvise and a Peak. I'd recommend a Regal. I love the quick hook changes and it feels incredibly solid. I just cannot afford one at the moment. I will not buy a knock-off (personal thing). I love my Peak and for the money, it does everything I need it to, but I will own a Regal eventually.

I have the pleasure of a wife who doesn't care what I do in my "den". I clean my bodkin by sticking it in the side of my chair cushion. About once a month, I pick off the little globs of dried glue or paint from the side of the cushion.

If it's in your price point the I recommend a renzetti traveller (yes I'm biased) smile.png

I agree with both suggestions. I am not sure what a wire scrubby is, but I think it could mean steel wool but not the ones pre-impregnated with soap. Get the kind that hardware stores have for removing rust.

Also right now I am stuck between the Peak and Renzitti Traveler. The traveler seems to be the better choice becauae it looks like the is more room between the claws and arm. I tie some warm water flies that the longer distance would be helpful. Also, anyone know which one has a a wider gap between the sizes of hooks the regular claws will hold.

You may be able to find a film canister if you can find somewhere that still processes film! Any small container will do. Its a very old trick that dates back to when film was the norm. You could even make a posh wooden one if you want.

I find that the best way to clean the gunk off my needle is a flame. That is because I use a sewing machine needle to make my dubbing needles. The wire wool trick doesn't clear them completely.

Cheers,

C.

Thirty five MM film canisters are getting harder and harder to find in the digital camera age. Unless you shoot 35 MM film, you could try a camera shop. A "real" camera shop not the camera department at the local Big Box. They just may have empty canisters they could give you.

An easier way, is to just use an old pill bottle. Fill it with 3/0 steel wool, and then use a hot needle to poke a few holes in the top. That's what I use, and I have several holes in the top of mine, so it serves as the storage device for my needles as well as the cleaning station. Get in the habit of placing your needle into the canister or bottle and you clean it off, and you always know where it is.

I have the pleasure of a wife who doesn't care what I do in my "den". I clean my bodkin by sticking it in the side of my chair cushion. About once a month, I pick off the little globs of dried glue or paint from the side of the cushion.

LOL...Now that's a good wife buddy! You better keep her...LOL

Thirty five MM film canisters are getting harder and harder to find in the digital camera age. Unless you shoot 35 MM film, you could try a camera shop. A "real" camera shop not the camera department at the local Big Box. They just may have empty canisters they could give you.

An easier way, is to just use an old pill bottle. Fill it with 3/0 steel wool, and then use a hot needle to poke a few holes in the top. That's what I use, and I have several holes in the top of mine, so it serves as the storage device for my needles as well as the cleaning station. Get in the habit of placing your needle into the canister or bottle and you clean it off, and you always know where it is.

I'll have to make one of those using a pill bottle. I got a few of those...