Fly Tying
Pabrookie94

Stimulator

Tied my first stimulator today. Other than the dubbing colors how did I do? Please don't just tell me to fish it provide some critiquing for me please and thank you!

post-55157-0-84462300-1423707615_thumb.jpg

I'd say use just a little fuller wing, other than that it's great! Nice amount of dubbing, right size, and neatly wrapped hackle, clean, not crowded thread head. Beautiful tie my friend! :)

I can't say much about the fly. I do like the evenness of your palmering ... very nicely wrapped.

Your fly does, however, nicely blend in with the cardboard box in the background. If you're fishing it in cardboard colored water, you probably won't get many hits.

I would suggest that you use about half the hair you have for the tail, and two to three times as much for the wing. The rest looks pretty good. The fly will look better if you stack both the wing and the tail, but the fish don't seem to care. I agree with Mike, think about the background when taking pictures.

Hopefully, your using a camera not a phone to take pictures. With a camera, you can us the Macro setting to focus in close. Then edit the photo to crop out everything but the fly. Makes it easier to see.

I clip the top of the brown hackle before tying in the wing. Not a critique, more of a comment. I find it lets me set the wing in a bit more easily. Nicely done!

I've tied lots of stimmies and that's better than most of mine. Fuller wing is not a bad idea. Also, a lot of people like to see the hair stacked for more even tips and a little longer tail. Stacking hair is not necessary to the fish but it does make wing and tail look better.

You did well, very well for a first go at a new pattern. I would suggest the use of a comb, and hair stacker. You can get fancy with a comb and have a set up like mine, with the comb in a holder in a second vice clamp on the edge of your table, but that is probably too much for now. A plastic nit (head louse) comb from a drug store will do the job for pennies. Comb out your deer hair before trying to stack it. Utyer has a point about using less hair in the tail. I would use less.

An observation only. You look to have counter wound the hackle. (I am presuming you are right handed, as a left hander would have the fly eye to the left). That isn't "wrong" but it may not be the best way. Presuming the body beneath the hackle is wound in the usual manor, the hackle stem is then going the same way as the fibres in the body. If one breaks it can unravel all the way back to the tail or forward to the head. Had you wound the hackle in the usual way it could only unravel to the next turn. Also when you tie off the hackle the direction of the thread is opposing the hackle stem. When you tie it in the thread is pushing the stem back the way it came. If the hackle was wound the other way it would be dragged on in the same direction causing it to tighten. Doing it the way you have can introduce a tiny amount of slack into the hackle stem. This "play" can result in the hackle working loose.

Also look at the hackle, just forward of the tail. Notice how on the first half turn or so the barbs slope forward? This is caused by the hackle trying to roll around, and lie flat on the hook shank. A hackle really does not want to bend around a hook shank with its barbs sticking out to form a nicely wound hackle.It wants to lie flat with the barbs to either side. There are ways and means to get the hackle to stand out as we want it to. Recently I posted a SbS of a Royal Coachman hair wing dry. In it I detail my method for doing this. There are other ways. I happen to like my method, not just because it works, but because I know why it works. If you would like to try it, you will find it fully explained here.

Cheers,

C.

Thank you all for the critique! I just got my hair stacker in the mail today so I will be stacking it from now on. I also do have some brighter colored dubbing on the way. I just got the hooks for them and wanted to try a go at one(cabin fever). Thanks all again! Hope to see some of you on the water !

This a nice first effort I have tied alot of stimmies they are my go to fly on my home river I would go heavier on the wing as suggested I also add red to mine this is an attractor pattern and red is good red dubbing in front of the wing or red wire ribbed through the body nice fly

Michael