Fly Tying
Mike West

Best place to buy preformed grip..?

I need a preformed grip with flor or AAA cork for an REC uplocking

reel seat for a 7' 9" 3/4wt glass rod...thinking like 6"-6.5" long.

Needs a recessed pocket too.

Who has some of the best grips pre made?

Had one but a mouse got to it and I don't remember where I purchased it.

T.I.A

I'm looking for advice from guys that have first hand knowledge.(bought from them and was happy with the product)

I'm aware of probably every website that sells them...but I don't believe everything a vendor tells as far as quality.

I'm looking for advice from guys that have first hand knowledge.(bought from them and was happy with the product)

I'm aware of probably every website that sells them...but I don't believe everything a vendor tells as far as quality.

Well I thought I was pretty happy with what I've gotten from these places but yeah, keep looking. Steeldrifter and Goduster might have something you will really like and if not then they will probably steer you to Karen.

Try Goldenwitch Technologies. They cater mostly to bamboo rod builders, but have some awesome hi end componants. I generally build my own, its not hard, but I do have a lathe,

I would ask Steve

Steve? No idea who you are talking about.

282 posts and you don't know who Steve is. Like the Global moderator for the forum and one of the most ambitious guys on the site besides. And like Meeshka says, check out Goldenwitch. They cater to bamboo builders especially and deal in upper level quality products. I've used a couple of their grips and was happy with them. Keep in mind though that their prices reflect that dedication to quality and is definitely going to be more costly than many other outlets.

https://www.goldenwitch.com/product-category/rodmaking/components/cork-and-grips/pre-formed-cork-grips/

The biggest issue with natural cork these days is that the grade of natural cork has been going downhill fast over the past decade. Mainly because a lot of the high dollar wine bottling companies are given first crack at the really pure grade cork before anyone else. Also the other problem is that there is no standard for grading cork in the industry. A manufacture can say his cork is "flor grade" yet that's just up for interpretation to be honest because one mans flor grade could be another mans select grade. Add into the mix that almost all preformed grips come with filler in them which will fall out after a few uses and it's tough to get a really nice looking pit free natural cork grip these days. That's why I primarily make my own out of burl style corks. Looks better and lasts longer.

I would probably tend to agree to look at REC's grips, but even then it's somewhat of a crap shoot as to what you will actually get. About the only way to get a really nice grip is going to be to turn it yourself by buying 50-100 rings and then cherry picking the best 14 rings and making it out of those. Other than than probably REC would be the best chance at something decent.

Steve