Fly Tying
Brodrash

Your favorite fly boxes

First off apologies to the more veteran forum members as im sure this has been asked before, but I could not find it using the search function. Probably because almost every topic contains the word "Fly" and many more contain the word "box".

Anyhow what is everyone's preference when it comes to boxes? I usually just buy the cheapos ( lost creek is the brand I believe). They are a bit clunky, but they are semi-waterproof and I don't feel as bad when I leave my hole fly pack on the mountaindry.png

Anything small (these are usually cheap) that will fit in my pocket, I have never lost one.

I've got about 20 now I think, and have yet to find the "perfect" fly box because I tie & fish with so many different types of flies.

I like this style a lot:

100_5576_zpshd0lzxt4.jpg

100_5570_zpsibdler2x.jpg

Those are "cheap" waterproof boxes I bought from an Ebay seller. I have several of them in various sizes. They hold a lot of flies, but are best for smaller sizes, like most folks use for trout or panfish.

I won't pay the prices for the bigger boxes or the "name brand" so the majority of my bigger flies, bass or saltwater size are in Plano or Flambeau type boxes. Even many of the so called streamer boxes are not big enough for me. I do have a couple of older style Plano boxes that I use when fishing from a boat. They hold a lot of flies, more than I really need, but I like having the added choices.

My boat boxes:

100_4294.jpg

100_4293.jpg

Plano/Flambeau type, I have many of them in various sizes.

100_4287.jpg

Has anyone on here tried the fishpond sushi roll for streamers? Kind of interested in one but would like to hear a first hand experience.

Tidewater, Nice selection! I usually buy the first two you posted. They are "vanilla" but they get the job done for a good price ! Im getting interested in pike now though and a few pike flies may fill one of those boxes.

Vicente, I just googled the sushi roll and I am curios to here a review as well. I would also like to know if anyone has used the Tacky Tube and what they thought of it!

Sportsman guild has nock off cliff beast box for 18$ at this time. They are great boxs for big flys have a few I have picked up as low as 15$ hard to beat at that price. Look around there are deals to be had

Almost-empty peanut butter jar. Drill a hole in the lid for a lanyard.

JS, starting to th...th... think you are about the most practical poster on this site. Reminds me of my Uncle, also CPO... and Dad, USMC... South Pacific, WW2... bringing emergency nutrition or fire-starter, with the fish food. Brilliant. Plus, LMAO

#homage to supremo.pragmatist

Must admit I like C&F boxes but buy them second hand to save money.

For bigger flies, salt water and salmon tubes I like my plano boxes.

C&F boxes. Still best on the market. The knock-offs and other cheap boxes are OK for stuff I do not use frequently, but the C&F boxes are my primary fly boxes and while a bit scuffed up and dirty, they have held up quite well after years of very hard use. For the most part, I find the waterproof boxes to be too heavy for what they hold, although they are handy if you have them in your lowest vest pockets if you tend to wade too deep. YMMV.

I just recently bought 4 of these from the Cabelas website's "Bargain Cave" for $9 each. Up until this fall, I have always favored the lightest and cheapest I could find, which were typically the all-foam Morrell boxes (or knock-offs thereof), but I took a couple of unexpected swims this past season, and that convinced me to start replacing all my boxes with waterproof ones. These are nice--not too heavy, sturdy construction, and I like that the tops are see-through.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/bargain-cave/fly-fishing/flies-fly-fishing-accessories|/pc/105591780/c/105763680/sc/105765480/cabela-s-double-sided-deluxe-fly-box/2216029.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fflies-fly-fishing-accessories%2F_%2FN-1102799%2B4294389047%2FNe-4294389047%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105765480%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

I am not a name brand sort of guy and honestly I feel 95% of Orvis stuff is overpriced, but I do like these and have switched most my boxes to these over the past 5 years. Main reason is because they are just so nice and light and don't add any weight to my vest. And price is very reasonable surprisingly http://www.orvis.com/p/orvis-lightweight-floating-fly-boxes/37gt