Fly Tying
Highdesert

Best Tyer Ever?

5 hours ago, RickZieger said:

I will toss in Son Toa as a great tyer.

Son Tao rocks the vise for sure

I suspect that some of the best fly tyers are the commercial fly tyers in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Chaing Mai is the hub of the fly tying industry in Asia and many of the flies you buy are tied there.

Almost all of them are women. They work out of their homes and they make more money than their husbands.

They tie over a hundred flies a day, thousands in a month. And tens of thousands in a year; year after year.

Gary Borger was hired by a company to teach new patterns to these tyers and he said that they were some of the best fly tyers he has ever seen. He said one lady specialized tying Royal Wulffs which is a difficult fly to tie.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/2003/04/20/fly-fishing-industry-catches-on-in-thailand/f88f8f8c-76aa-4240-9f97-42b8de3f362b/

3 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

I suspect that some of the best fly tyers are the commercial fly tyers in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Chaing Mai is the hub of the fly tying industry in Asia and many of the flies you buy are tied there.

Almost all of them are women. They work out of their homes and they make more money than their husbands.

They tie over a hundred flies a day, thousands in a month. And tens of thousands in a year; year after year.

Gary Borger was hired by a company to teach new patterns to these tyers and he said that they were some of the best fly tyers he has ever seen. He said one lady specialized tying Royal Wulffs which is a difficult fly to tie.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/2003/04/20/fly-fishing-industry-catches-on-in-thailand/f88f8f8c-76aa-4240-9f97-42b8de3f362b/

This is a really nice article.  It’s nice to hear the industry helping elevate the quality of life by giving a good wage.

12 hours ago, Gene L said:

How about Meghan Boyd?  Salmon flies.

I'll second Meghan- 

9 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

There's something to be said for a commercial tier that can sit and tie a hundred of the same fly and have them all be consistent .  I usually get bored with a pattern by the 4th one or so-

12 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

Yup. I alluded to that here. 

On 1/9/2024 at 8:20 AM, Jaydub said:

The best fly tier ever is a woman from southeast Asia, who has never written an article or filmed a Youtube video. 

Being able to quickly tie somebody else's pattern just makes you a good production tier. If they were among the best, let alone the best, they wouldn't need somebody else to teach them how to do it. 

From the article it looks like they're paying those Chaing Mai tyers a piecemeal rate of under a nickel per fly...   I'll double-dare their generous boss to comp his star Chaing Mai tyer to demo at Sowbug this spring. I'll even chip in for the motel, cigarettes and whiskey, and one dinner.

its a 20 year old article

is it even relevant today and who really cares

is this master tyer even alive

Did someone say they're buying cigarettes and whiskey?  I'm in whatever it is!

I think the Thai flies are OK, but the ones I've seen are not top of the heap.  Materials are not as good for the most part as they are here. I wouldn't say they're the GOAT fly tiers. 

Davie McPhail for sure. Great all-around tyer. He's the type of person that can look at a fly, decipher it and translate it to the vise. 

I nominate Royce Damm - honored by his fellow fly tyers and fly fishers as one of the best ever.

https://www.flyfishersinternational.org/Portals/0/FlyTyingGroup/FTGDocuments/Buszek/1994_RoyceDam.pdf

https://www.flyfishersinternational.org/About-Us/Awards/Fly-Tying-Awards

I have 3 of Royce's Shadow boxes. The following photos reveal the depth and breadth of his skill, not only in traditional trout flies but in full dress salmon flies and hair bass bugs. I know of no other fly tier who is accomplished as he is over the entire spectrum of fly tying.

The first is a shadow box I ordered from Royce with the USPS special issue commemorative stamps of flies. This was series of 5 stamps with a Royal Wulff, Jock Scott, Stu Apte Tarpon Fly, Lefty's Deceiver, and Muddler Minnow. The entire plate is shown then close ups of the Jock Scott and the Royal Wulff.

35557334702_065799d737_z.jpg

35594963131_8234fbe44b_z.jpg

35594962941_d752deeecc_z.jpg

The photos below are of a deer hair bug. Notice the alternating green and yellow bands of deer hair that he has tied and how tight the hair is.

35594962761_7bb6b9436c_z.jpg

The photos below are of a stonefly nymph plate and a close up of one of the nymphs.

35557334752_d4263dcf28_z.jpg

35557334632_c61d2f607c_z.jpg

Buz Buszek Memorial Fly Tying Award

BuzBuszek3.pngThe International Federation of Fly Fishers’ Buz Buszek Fly Tying Award is the most prestigious award in the world of fly tying. 

1970 - Jacqueline Knight

1971 - A.I. Alexander 1972 - Dave Whitlock
1973 - George Grant 1974 - Ken Bay 1975 - E. H. "Polly" Rosborough
1976 - John Schollenberger 1977 - Andre Puyans  1978 - George Harvey
1979 - Everett Drake 1980 - Boyd Aigner 1981 -Doug Prince
1982 - Darwin Atkin 1983 - Art Flick 1984 - Frank Johnson
1985 - Bill Blackstone 1986 - Billy Munn 1987 - Dick Nelson
1988 - Bing Lempke 1989 - Jimmy Nix 1990 - Kent Bulfinch
1991 - Wayne Luallen 1992 - Stanley Walters 1993 - Chuck Echer
1994 - Royce E. Dam 1995 - Marvin Nolte 1996 - John "Ned" Long
1997 - Judy Lehmberg 1998 - Jeff "Bear" Andrews 1999 - Al Beatty
2000 - Bob Jacklin 2001 - Bruce Staples 2002 - Helen Shaw Kessler