Fly Tying

You guys probably don't buy flies since you can tie them but i'm just a kid so I can't do much to support my fly tying habit. What improvements could I make to my Etsy page to get more potential buyers. Here's the page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFlyTieGuy?ref=seller-platform-mcnav

You're not "Just as kid" That makes it sound like not a good thing. You're a young tier that ties really good flies. You should promote yourself that way instead of "Just a kid"

As your inventory builds your site will be more attractive so, build your inventory. I think you should tie, and list, specific flies by name instead of "Assorted flies". You can still sell an assortment but list the flies in the assortment.

I think the photos are a little dim, I'd brighten them up some.

Nice flies, keep it up. Keep it fun and don't try to get rich.

i think 12 dollars for 4 flies is a little steep 

tie some better quality flies if your gonna charge that price

sorry if i'm frank....

Hey dude nice flies! Here are a few things I did when I started selling flies, 

1. Talk to people at school. Make sure they know they are not only for fly fishing. 

2. Get a organizing box and go to the most populated body of water and sell them there. (Might be different due to covid) 

3. Family members love them :)

As Mark said, lead with the positive. 

If you go negative, it just casts a downer shadow over everything. I hate selling, but know enough about it that you have GOT to stay upbeat and positive, no matter what. 

Find a way to turn any potential negative that you see into a positive selling point. Instead of "just a kid", you are a "fly tyer with a passion for the sport starting at an earlier age than most". See how much better that sounds?

I also agree though that $12 for four flies is steep. You better be offering something exceptional if you are marketing at that price level. 

Best of luck with your venture!

Bass Pro Shop (White River Fly Shop) has 20 fly sets for 20 to 37 dollars.  That's $1.00 to $1.84 a piece.  To compete with that, you have to do one of two things.

1. Tie better flies, or
  2. Charge less money per fly.

As a "newbie" both to tying and to selling ... you'll likely have to settle for selling them very cheap.  Don't try to make money at first, just break even.  If you're not losing money, you're gaining experience for free.  After you've got a customer base, you can start raising prices and become profitable.

The "profitable" part might be some time in coming.

I tie commercially and like others here have been tying a long time. I have to agree with flytire, your flies are not that good. They're certainly flies that would catch fish, but selling is more about the appearance. They look like flies that have been tied by someone who is developing their tying skills, but has not perfected them. They need to be "pretty" for selling. A shop owner that I supplied with flies told me that many years ago. He said that "pretty sells"! 

Your proportions are not far off, but they're also not consistent, as some flies are overdressed and your "finish" is lacking. There's bit of stray materials around the heads and that is one such detail that folks will look at. I suspect too that because of your age, you're not in a position to purchase better materials, so you're trying to make use of what you have available. I like that, but most people will tell you that the quality of the materials will affect the end result. I've learned to use lesser quality materials for some tying, but part of that is knowing how & on what types of flies, and I don't think you're at that point. 

The first thing you need to do, is improve the appearance of the flies by improving your tying skills and of course the only way to do that is practice. I also agree that you'll need to promote yourself as a tyer, and your age has nothing to do with that, but you will need to be positive! I've known some excellent tyers who were quite young. 

I'm not being critical of you either, so don't take it personally. I applaud your desire to make some money doing something you enjoy. I wish I had started at a much earlier age with a business tying flies. I had been tying for 23 years when I first tried tying commercially, but I also had a lot of other obligations at that point in my life. I made many mistakes with that first effort and I found out that some of my flies were not the best that I could do. No one ever really ties perfect flies, as you should always be improving.

I'm now retired and have a second such tying business and I make lures also. Took me over 50 years to get here.

As has been said here, you're competing in a market place that has very good flies at some very low prices. I don't tie a lot of trout flies for that reason, as I can't compete with the prices of flies that are tied offshore. I had a fellow the other day contact me from Kenya who is a commercial tyer. He sells many of his flies at $3.80 per dozen. You're competing with him. There's a market for better quality, domestic flies, but you're not at that skill level yet. 

I also agree with what has been said about labeling flies. If you're tying patterns that do not have a name, then give them a name, ( don't use a known name)  and be sure to indicate the hook size(s). Fly anglers want to know what the name of the pattern will be and size(s) they're buying. 

I would suggest, that you start over, and start with simple flies, such as perhaps foam panfish flies, and see how they sell. But, keep them neat & clean.  I used to tie a very simple panfish fly that was just a chenille body, with a set of round rubber legs, two legs on each side, and I tied them in various body colors on a size 10 hook. I sold a lot of them. I tied other similar flies too and would be glad to send you some photo's. 

While that is going on, work on improving your skills with other types of flies. If you can make sales, you can improve on your materials choices. 

If you have social media, Facebook, Instagram, etc, you can promote yourself & your flies on there by joining fly fishing groups and posting good photo's of your work. That is some of the best advertising you can get, but again you need to improve what you're tying and trying to sell. However, there's a correct way to do this too, as you can't become an annoying spammer and expect to sell much or make many friends either. I get most of my business by trying to help others and by posting photo's of what I make. 

Now, I will warn you, if you are in the US, you are required to pay an excise tax on all flies that you make and offer for sale. The tax is a manufacturers tax and the IRS considers anyone making & selling flies as a manufacturer. So, you would need to get an excise tax license and pay the taxes. That means you'll also need a Federal Employer Identification Number, which you need you get the Excise Tax license. You may also need to have a business license and possibly pay sales taxes too. There is much more to selling flies, than simply tying & selling them. If you are not in the US, then you can sell without the excise tax issue, but otherwise, eventually the IRS will contact you to find out what you're doing and if you're operating legally. 

Many folks will say just keep selling small amounts of flies and you won't have problems, but by advertising to sell ( Etsy) you are now a manufacturer, even if you don't sell a single fly. That would mean you owe no taxes, but you might still have some legal problems for not having the proper licenses to operate as a business. 

As I mentioned, I can show you some flies that I did well with, are easy to tie, and might help you get a business developed. 

As I read it your question is more about tying flies to make a little extra scratch so you offset the cost of your hobby. I didn't read into that you want to turn your hobby into a life long business pursuit.There's is plenty to do to support your fly tying HOBBY. Cut grass, rake leaves, shovel snow, detail cars, sell lemonade. All will make far more money in far less time while you develop your fly tying business.

Everybody who fly fishes seem to want to live vicariously through younger people and encourgages them to do what they love to do. This is why they read life long business opportunity in a how to make extra scratch question. At 12 you haven't lived long enough to know everything that you will love. I  hate to be the realist but earning money doing what you love is just so much touchy feely BS. Yes you can earn money selling flies but it will be so little that it simply is not worth your time and effort, even as a 12 year old. I battled this advice (not tying flies but the doing what you love to do part) given by others with my own kids. The purpose of a business is to make money quickly, lots of money. It's not so you can endlessly toil away "doing what you love" day in and day out for the rest of your life while living under the property line and operating out of your parents basement. You can detail one car and earn what would take you a week of fly tying. 

In case you are thinking of a life long business opportunity, I think the benefits of what your doing is in learning to put together a business model, marketing and organizing a successful business so I encourage you to continue. This is where the love actually comes into play. Perhaps it would be wiser and more profitable to find that guy in Kenya, have him supply you the flies and then you resell them. You have huge potential so think huge. The lessons you learn now can and will grow if massaged properly to where you can and will be able to start and operate a successful profitable business (not involving fly tying) leaving you plenty of time and money to pursue your Hobbies. 

As a kid looking to earn extra scratch, I'd look into developing a car detailing business. Lots of money for a kid learning to be successful with twice the Benifits. Its a big bold world out there so have big bold dreams and leave the fly tying as a hobby. 

21 hours ago, troutmaster08 said:

You guys probably don't buy flies since you can tie them but i'm just a kid so I can't do much to support my fly tying habit. What improvements could I make to my Etsy page to get more potential buyers. Here's the page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFlyTieGuy?ref=seller-platform-mcnav

I have to agree that the quality of your fly tying has to improve in order for them to sell.

In some respects, it is a chicken or egg problem - you know - did the chicken or the egg come first? What I mean by that is to tie good flies, you need quality materials, especially hackle and hackel is expensive. But you need to sell flies to buy the hackle. You see the problem?

The second issue is that popular flies sell. A size 14 parachute Adams is the most popular dry fly sold in the USA. The problem is that because of that, every fly seller has to have a supply of size 14 parachute Adams. They have to be of decent quality because that is what many fly buyers will buy those as a test purchase for the quality the shop sells.

You need to decide whether you want to compete against that type of market.

Is there a specific local fly pattern that is popular locally but is not sold by most fly tyers? If so, that is where I would start. Become good at several of those kinds of patterns and you can build up a base of customers.

I think Mark here gave great, constructive advice. The local, young entrepreneur angle is a solid selling point. I just hope you don't take some of the blunt comments on here as overly harsh or mean, though the posters likely mean well. Keep at it and have fun with it.  

On 7/21/2020 at 1:20 PM, Mark Knapp said:

You're not "Just as kid" That makes it sound like not a good thing. You're a young tier that ties really good flies. You should promote yourself that way instead of "Just a kid"

As your inventory builds your site will be more attractive so, build your inventory. I think you should tie, and list, specific flies by name instead of "Assorted flies". You can still sell an assortment but list the flies in the assortment.

I think the photos are a little dim, I'd brighten them up some.

Nice flies, keep it up. Keep it fun and don't try to get rich.

When I started tying to sell as a kid all I tied was bucktail teasers and jigs, two simple patterns, not even flies per say. I still had complaints about hair pulling out and sub standard work. I learned a lot about thread control and nice neat heads to overcome that. I used to card them and leave them in few local stores at a price point below what the shops and tackle dealers sold them. It was a learning curve (store owners needed to make some money per fly also and I learned about wholesale - retail and loss due to theft, I was devastated the first time someone stole the whole card of 2 dozen teasers)  I had no overhead to cover except material expenses. You can start a business but you better have quality flies at your price point I can buy (retail) a dozen flies for $12 to $15, well tied imports. You need to improve your patterns and have a consistent group of patterns or move to the custom fly market but you still need to improve, as we all do, tying and participating on the forum will only help you. The first thing I look at when inspect someone's work is the head of the fly it has to be neat not crowding the eye with no excess material hanging around it. You are tying to catch fishermen not fish - your flies need to be consistent. If I order a dozen they all better look the same and next time I order them they need to be the same as my last order.

Have fun and learn you are young and have a long way to go. I only wish you the best and hope you are a great success. Yes people still can make money tying flies but it is a different market today and you are more connected to direct sales via the internet than I ever could have been when I started. 

practice,  everyone on this forum is tying to improve their work, regardless of their intension to sell or not.

some members of this forum tie commercially or have in the past or do custom work. others develop fly patterns for large merchants and are paid royalties. there are ways to make money  with fly tying.

do not be discouraged, as other have said it is easier to make money cutting lawns, detailing cars, or just getting a job. but if tying flies is your calling for some extra cash then do the best job you can and provide the best product you can. be forewarned a bad products reputation travels faster than a good one, people will leave negative comments faster than positive ones. you may feel a like this forum is being harsh on you but they are only trying to help. 

look forward to watching your tying progress and wishing you the best of intensions. 

5 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

As a kid looking to earn extra scratch, I'd look into developing a car detailing business. Lots of money for a kid learning to be successful with twice the Benifits. 

I've often said that in today's world, a young person would be wise to think about getting into a business that requires hands-on doing, and can't be provided by Amazon, eBay, or China. 

Mike Rowe touts going to trade schools rather than traditional colleges as a better fit for lots of people. You come out with much less debt, and an immediately marketable skill that pays better than entry level (and often much more advanced) "college degree" jobs, that you can often parlay into your own business after a few years. I have to agree. 

And it correlates here as well. Amazon can't provide mechanic work on my truck, or electrical work on a new house, or plumbing repair work (all of that type of work will never go away), but I can buy flies cheap from dozens of places with just a few clicks of a mouse.

Zaden, my comments were not intended to be harsh, just to give you my perspective of the reality of tying commercially. Yes, there are other jobs, or businesses that will have a lot higher return than making tackle. My business is what I enjoy doing, but I'm also retired and don't need the income from the business. Big difference between needing to make money, and doing this for the enjoyment. 

What's been said here should give you a lot to think about, but you are still at an age, that you may not know what direction you want to take in life. I know many guys who want to be professional anglers, and very few of them are making enough money from it to live or to barely make enough to pay the fee's to get into tournaments. They work "real' jobs too.

Awhile ago, here on this site was a young man who became a regular here. He was a bit older than you, and had just started tying flies. His name is Pat Cohen, and he has made a very successful business from tying. Pat may just be the very best at tying with spun hairs, such as using deerhair. However, Pat was also an extremely talented tattoo artist before he started tying flies, so he was able to use that artistic ability to his advantage. Check out Pat's website, https://rusuperfly.com/, and look at his flies.

Anything is possible if you want it bad enough, but the fact still remains that very few succeed in this business.