Fly Tying

It is the same in parts northeast a lot of people less water or I should say easy to excess water. not uncommon for a popular run to get crowded. I have witnessed fights over fishing spots at the Cape Cod Canal. Yelling and screaming on Farmington, Housatonic, and Battenkill Rivers, watched one fisherman throwing rocks at a canoeing non-fishing couple. The Salmon River in Pulaski is similar at the peak runs. I have a little 7' 4wt that I go chase blue lines on the map with my trusty fish dog or drop the canoe in a pond or lake and troll the edges. A lot of water is available if you are willing to walk a little and fish during the week.

P6180159.JPG

12 hours ago, cphubert said:

It is the same in parts northeast a lot of people less water or I should say easy to excess water. not uncommon for a popular run to get crowded. I have witnessed fights over fishing spots at the Cape Cod Canal. Yelling and screaming on Farmington, Housatonic, and Battenkill Rivers, watched one fisherman throwing rocks at a canoeing non-fishing couple. The Salmon River in Pulaski is similar at the peak runs. I have a little 7' 4wt that I go chase blue lines on the map with my trusty fish dog or drop the canoe in a pond or lake and troll the edges. A lot of water is available if you are willing to walk a little and fish during the week.

I fish the Northeast (Massachusetts) and generally speaking our best trout waters are crowded, not shoulder to shoulder but it's not uncommon to have another guy fly fishing 30' away.   From what I've seen most of us try not to encroach on each others space.   We know when we're heading to the prime spots to expect company.  Even so I don't have any trouble finding secluded water to fish if I don't want to deal with the crowd.  I just fish the water between the known locations.  Fish swim and I've caught some nice ones in area's where they're not supposed to be-

When I choose to fish a crowded part of the river it has been my experience that most people are respectful of each other and really seem to do their best to give each other room.  Last September I was fishing a run on the Swift river with 5  or 6 others and we were spaced  30' to 40'.  One guy was catching big browns from his section.  After he pulled out a 3rd big fish the temptation to crowd him was there but nobody moved.  On that day he had the best spot.  The rest of us still caught fish and all present behaved like gentlemen.   Fortunately the 1% that act like the world owes them something are easy to spot and avoid before they ruin a good day. 

21 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

IMO distance you can cast shouldn't even come into the equation. We get outdoors to find peace & solitude away from others. So it doesn't matter so much how much room is needed for casting, it's more the respectfulness of not encroaching into someone's space in which they are trying to enjoy their peace is the way I look at it.

I'm totally into the solitude thing Steeldrifter. If I had my druthers I'd not fish where others are. I'd stay down in Gunnison. 😁. That being said sometimes we have to fish near others.  That 100' might afford me my "solitude" space where the 20 sure won't. Anyhow, I find that if you're polite, I agree with the respectfulness thing,  others will be too and that can make or break the day. 

6 hours ago, DFoster said:

Last September I was fishing a run on the Swift river with 5  or 6 others and we were spaced  30' to 40'. 

Scroll down to Yellowstone and read about the Barnes hole. https://www.henrysforkanglers.com/fishing-info/fishing-reports/fishing-report130  It's actually more fun than it sounds. Truly a social event. Everyone shares everything, lunch,coffee, snacks, flies, advice. You don't need a net or a vest. If/when you hook up one of the guys waiting to get into the conga line will do net duty if you want (not for whitefish). Hook a fish and lose it, you have to get out of the line. of course if you walk half a mile up or downstream you're alone

The reason there are no hard, fast rules is because there are so many variables. We need to be able to adjust accordingly.

This is the Russian River during the Sockeye run. The standards here are far different than almost anywhere else in Alaska or pretty much anywhere else in the world.

.1ac7be_1d05e6ee2f3645ca89242d839370f8f0~

44 minutes ago, Sandan said:

I'm totally into the solitude thing Steeldrifter. If I had my druthers I'd not fish where others are. I'd stay down in Gunnison. 😁. That being said sometimes we have to fish near others.  That 100' might afford me my "solitude" space where the 20 sure won't. Anyhow, I find that if you're polite, I agree with the respectfulness thing,  others will be too and that can make or break the day. 

I've done that myself, we have spots here where it's like that if you want to fish. Spot on the Au Sable when the steelhead come in use to be about 75 guys in a stretch that was no more than 100 yards long at best. It's where fish would hold and stage and it was elbow to elbow. I fished that for many years dealing with the crowds. I just don't care for that type of fishing these days though. Dunno if I just enjoy the peace more now, or if I'm getting old.....I like to think its the first one of those things 😆

4 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

I've done that myself, we have spots here where it's like that if you want to fish. Spot on the Au Sable when the steelhead come in use to be about 75 guys in a stretch that was no more than 100 yards long at best. It's where fish would hold and stage and it was elbow to elbow. I fished that for many years dealing with the crowds. I just don't care for that type of fishing these days though. Dunno if I just enjoy the peace more now, or if I'm getting old.....I like to think its the first one of those things 😆

It's the first. No way we're getting old!

I have done combat fishing also, racine wi. root river, weekdays were a little better but that was quite a few years ago,

didn't care to much for tangled lines.

16 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

The reason there are no hard, fast rules is because there are so many variables. We need to be able to adjust accordingly.

This is the Russian River during the Sockeye run. The standards here are far different than almost anywhere else in Alaska or pretty much anywhere else in the world.

.1ac7be_1d05e6ee2f3645ca89242d839370f8f0~

Hey Mark I'm the guy on the far far right.   If you can't see me it's because I'm 3,000 miles to the East happily chasing 8" Brookies.  They're not Sockeye but what they lack in size they make up for with solitude LOL! 

I'm like you D, I stay out of places like that. Those guys and gals have no expectations of any kind of personal space. They have fun though. Every once in a while we hear of a kerfuffle. The places I like to go I could float for a week and not see another person.

On 8/4/2020 at 11:05 AM, DFoster said:

I fish the Northeast (Massachusetts) and generally speaking our best trout waters are crowded, not shoulder to shoulder but it's not uncommon to have another guy fly fishing 30' away.   From what I've seen most of us try not to encroach on each others space.   We know when we're heading to the prime spots to expect company.  Even so I don't have any trouble finding secluded water to fish if I don't want to deal with the crowd.  I just fish the water between the known locations.  Fish swim and I've caught some nice ones in area's where they're not supposed to be-

When I choose to fish a crowded part of the river it has been my experience that most people are respectful of each other and really seem to do their best to give each other room.  Last September I was fishing a run on the Swift river with 5  or 6 others and we were spaced  30' to 40'.  One guy was catching big browns from his section.  After he pulled out a 3rd big fish the temptation to crowd him was there but nobody moved.  On that day he had the best spot.  The rest of us still caught fish and all present behaved like gentlemen.   Fortunately the 1% that act like the world owes them something are easy to spot and avoid before they ruin a good day. 

Similar scenario for the more popular spots here in Maine. The few minor breeches in etiquette I've encountered are vastly overshadowed by numerous instances of  mutual respect and civility as you described, both subtle and profound. Maybe it's because we're all Red Sox fans? 🙂

Just a few weeks ago, a good buddy and I traveled to a pretty well known spot. Surprisingly, no one else was at what most consider the best stretch of water. Another fellow showed up a few minutes later and we were glad he did. We respected distance, had a lot of fun chatting with this guy, and all shared in one another's fun when we caught trout (and there were many that day). It enhanced the experience. It was great fishing with this new friend and if he hadn't have shown up, the day would have missed something. 

As  I learned in Scouts - "Leave only footprints, take only pictures and memories."

1 hour ago, WWKimba said:

As  I learned in Scouts - "Leave only footprints, take only pictures and memories."

👍

21 hours ago, jamieofthenorth said:

Similar scenario for the more popular spots here in Maine. The few minor breeches in etiquette I've encountered are vastly overshadowed by numerous instances of  mutual respect and civility as you described, both subtle and profound. Maybe it's because we're all Red Sox fans? 🙂

Just a few weeks ago, a good buddy and I traveled to a pretty well known spot. Surprisingly, no one else was at what most consider the best stretch of water. Another fellow showed up a few minutes later and we were glad he did. We respected distance, had a lot of fun chatting with this guy, and all shared in one another's fun when we caught trout (and there were many that day). It enhanced the experience. It was great fishing with this new friend and if he hadn't have shown up, the day would have missed something. 

Some people are very approachable on the water, maybe even most, I am.  Some people only get out very rarely or may have had to drive long way to be there so I understand if they don't want to waste river time talking.  But I really enjoy talking to and learning from other anglers if their willing.  If you have the humility to take advice you can learn much.  The Swift River in our state is notoriously difficult to catch on because the fish are so heavily pressured.  Tom Brady trout- they've seen everything.   A few years back I used a couple of vacation days and at 55 years old I was the "youngster" on the water.  This river mid week is generally fished by very retired guys.   I spent a fair amount of time learning from them over those days and I've had success on that river ever since.  One gentlemen sticks in my mind.  He was in his late 70's or early 80's and I'm sorry to say I can't remember his name.  One morning we ended up walking in together.  While talking he said "I fish this river 300 days per year, do you want some advice"?  I consider myself an accomplished fly fisher but when somebody say's to me they fish a river that often and then asks if I want advice I say "yes sir" and then I listen.

We all know there are people out there who think the world owes them something and sadly sometimes they show up with a rod and reel in hand.   When they decide it's time to fish they'll step into the river 10' up stream of your position because it's a good place to cross and hey otherwise they would have to go to all the trouble of walking another 100' down the river to get across.  I try to give them the benefit of the doubt and think maybe they are new to the sport and don't know any better?   The reality is it's more likely that this is the same person that everyone has to drive around while they park in the fire lane in front of Walmart so their wife can go shop for an hour or two.   The same person that leaves trash on the ground 20' from a trash can.  The same person who will fish without a license, trespass posted land to get to the water then sue the land owner when they fall down.   I'm thankful that they are the exception.