Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SalarMan

Sure Is Quiet

WOW...nothing new here since September 10th. I know I haven't been doing any serious tying of late due to a major project going on here at the house. That is now winding down and I will get back over the vise as soon as I can after the crew doing the work is outta here!! That combined with the fact we are looking at possibly moving in the spring...or sooner...sure has taken a big bite out of my time.

Anybody else doing any tying?

Cheers,
George

I would be terribly embarrassed.  I would love to sit with someone who knows what they are doing and watch.   Once they start having in person fly tying expos I will try to sit in on some classes.

Nothing for this category, but I am developing/adapting a few patterns for Oregon coast winter steel...hoping like never before for a big return so I can test these patterns in a target rich environment!

Still doing the work from home thing and I use the same desk for work and tying.   Fly tying used to be the break from work, but these days I need a break from that desk and I haven't been tying much. 

I have been practicing my casting more though and my casting skills have improved over the past year.  So, my time hasn't been completely wasted.   :)

Please please please, don't take this the wrong way.

I don't understand "classic flies".  I get that they take a lot of time and skill to tie.  But they just look ... silly ... to me.

It'd be like taking the time and skill to make an internal combustion engine out of wood.  It would look neat, but it's completely useless.  

Making wading boot studs from diamonds.  Shiny, but you'd never actually go wading in them.

I'm not disparaging those of you who tie and like them.  I'm just voicing my own opinion of them.

Though I don't tie them YET, I find the classic Atlantic salmon flies to be works of art. Just like paintings and sculptures, when these flies are well tied with amazing material placement, proportions, etc. they are simply magic...

Many are fished and catch fish to this day. There aren't too many in the U.S. who fish them, but in western Europe (Scotland, Ireland, Scandinavia, etc.) people tie and fish the classic patterns exclusively. To watch one being tied by a talented tier is captivating...

In the U.S. and especially in the west tiers in the late 1800s and early 1900s could not readily order and receive the exotic materials that European tiers had access to. Imagine ordering golden pheasant crests from Europe to Oregon, might take 6 months! They had to "live off of the land" so to speak. Pheasant, bucktail, turkey, deer hair, elk hair, chicken feathers, rabbit, and squirrel were on the tying menu. Where, in Europe, they hadn't thought of those materials. Bustard, golden pheasant, macaw, heron, seal, sheep's wool, chinese silk, jungle cock, and goose were on their menu.

I bet if we took some of our flies to Europe they might look at ours cross eyed too! 

On 9/24/2021 at 8:07 AM, flytire said:

yup i'm tying but not the style/quality required for this forum category

i'd only be embarrassed anyway

OH my gosh, I've never seen you tie anything you should be embarrassed about. I don't think this forum would be any different. Your attention to detail is perfectly suited to these flies, I would love to see something from you here.

3 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

OH my gosh, I've never seen you tie anything you should be embarrassed about. I don't think this forum would be any different. Your attention to detail is perfectly suited to these flies, I would love to see something from you here.

That's kinda what I thought, but I didn't want to poke the 'squatch.  

Now that I've reread the comments I'll reply to a few of those thoughts...

Never be "embarrassed" by what you tie. I remember thinking I could never post my work on a old now defunct site. Then one day I said what the hell and put something out there. The rest is as they say history. I received friendly, constructive critique of the fly and tips on what needed work and compliments on what was good. If you really wish to tie the classics then go ahead and post some of your stuff and ask for help. You might be surprised at the responses.

Mikechell - I think you miss the major point regarding the tying of the classic salmon flies. Yes it is an interesting and challenging exercise in fly tying, but much more than that is the relatively small group worldwide who pursue these flies also do so to preserve and continue an important part of the wonderful history of fly fishing and fly tying. They are not by any means silly or not of any value. I have taken Atlantic Salmon on a Durham Ranger, Butcher, Green Highlander, Jock Scott...well you get the point...I hope.

Finally, I've heard the term "a work of art" applied to the classics many times but I subscribe to John Veniard's belief that tying any fly is a craft...not art. It can be  learned by anyone. Some will tie better than others, but that's human nature. I have said many times...if you can tie a basic wet fly you can tie a classic salmon fly. There are simply more parts requiring more planning to achieve the end result.

Give it a go guys...and enjoy the journey!!!

Apropos, I just started a Dusty Miller variation yesterday. Variation meaning that I don't have all the "correct" materials and will have to substitute some.  It takes a lot to embarrass me so I'll post it when I'm done.

" I received friendly, constructive critique of the fly and tips on what needed work and compliments on what was good. If you really wish to tie the classics then go ahead and post some of your stuff and ask for help. You might be surprised at the responses...Give it a go guys...and enjoy the journey!!!" SalarMan

That is exactly what has happened here. The help has been amazing and truly appreciated.

I haven't put in a hook in the vise in a month due to home renovations.

I still check the forum from time to time and enjoy what I see.