Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Au Sable daily updates

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#91 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:29 AM

My first trout ever -- a nice 16" brown -- came out from under a sweeper to eat a Mickey Finn on the Au Sable ....65 years ago.

Rocco

#92 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:02 AM

Nice.  That brookie ate a big streamer. 

#93 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,885 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:29 PM

Yeah it's always funny when a trout eats a streamer half its body size laugh.png

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#94 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,885 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:15 PM

ivNAxB.jpg

Nothing big at all but decided to spend the last evening on the river in a relaxing way and rather than pulling streamers just cast some dry flies and played with some pretty little trout.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#95 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,885 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:46 PM

Well I am back home from the trip.  It was a great trip.
This trip was more than just about fishing. It was a chance for me to be alone with my thoughts and try to come to terms with losing my Sister Tracy this spring. It's amazing how you can really deal with your thoughts when alone on a river or in the woods without another person in sight. For the past few months since losing her I have been thinking about how terrible I have it for losing my Dad at only 52 yrs old, and now losing my Sister at only 51 yrs old. And I have been thinking how much I wish I could go back and relive the time we had together so I could make the most of it.
But I realized something while being alone the past few weeks. Even if I could go back and relive times with her and Dad, I couldn't make the time together any better than it already was. Because we were as tight and loving as a family can possibly be. So there would be no way to make our time together any better, because we already DID make the most of it when it happened.
So I have come to realize, I'm not unlucky for losing them so early in their lives. I'm actually an extremely lucky man to have been able to share such love with them to the fullest every time we were together. And I am very lucky to still have a wonderful Mother, great brother in law, and my Niece & Nephew. Whom I am glad to still call Family and look forward to many more years together with them all.
I still and always will have a huge hole in my heart where Tracy should be, but she will always be with me in one way or another till I myself am gone.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#96 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,761 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:57 PM

It's a nice story of restitution, Steve.   Glad you found your "happy place".

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#97 GC59

GC59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:42 PM

Nice place,nice water,nice fish,great trip,thanks for sharing.

#98 Lesg

Lesg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:42 PM

Well said Steve !

#99 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:23 AM

Perfect trip all the way around, pretty much what you were looking for !  Welcome home !

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#100 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:01 AM

Good for you Steve,

Rivers have magic powers to heal and make us whole again.  In our time out of memory we knew that and those lucky enough have rediscovered it. 

Rocco 

#101 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:26 AM

Thanks for taking us on your journey.  Both of them actually.  Great pictures and stories about the trip and great perspective about loss.

#102 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:21 AM

Mission accomplished
cb27

#103 The Mad Duck

The Mad Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:21 AM

You know? As long as your memories of them stay with you..They really aren't gone

We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About

#104 Swampfoxforeman

Swampfoxforeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:50 PM

God Bless man sometimes we have to lose something to know what we had. We need to look at the positives and not the negatives for if we do we lose sight of whats important. I just got a call 5mins ago saying my aunt just passed away from Lou Gehrig's disease.