Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
L. B. Fly Tyer

Need a new vise

What vise should I get ?

• Needs to be $70-$100
  • Needs to be a rotary (doesn't have to be a true rotary)
  • Needs to hold Hooks from 20 To 4/0
  • Needs to have a base included
  • Needs to have a lifetime warranty
  • Needs to have a Lever lock system ( example Apex vise)
  • Needs to be new
  • Needs to have good reviews
  • Needs to work for a commercial tier, 10 flies a day 5 days a week

As always Tie On!

J Stockhard has the Atlas on sale for $129 right now, fits most of your requirments other than the price range

Rodney

LOL Commercial tier does, like, 10 flies an HOUR ... if they're hard flies to tie. I've heard a 1000 flies a week is not unusual.

Everything you want in a vise ... including that it be under $100.00, AND have a lifetime warranty?

You're funny, I'll give you that.

The "Good Luck" vise is the only one I can recommend.

good luck finding something that fits all those requirements for under a hundred bucks. Danvise? 10 flies a day as a commercial tyer??????? What exactly do you tie?

That Atlas for 129 is as close as you're going to get to messing all your requirements, I personally don't understand owning a 21 dollar bobbin and expecting to get the perfect vise for under 100, I haven't spent 21 dollars on my 3 bobbins. I'm pretty happy with my Atlas for 150 though I would like to try out the Montana mongoose as well.

Ya' know, I read this yesterday and I'm still trying to figure a commercial tier making any money on 50 flies a week. Someone had a link awhile back where guys wanted $20 and up for their flies. If you could get that you could make a living and get in a lot of fishing.

As for the vise question I was really happy with the Atlas Anvil. Holds hooks, tips up for small flies, down horizontal for rotating your flies around while you work on them, American made, lifetime warranty, comes with base and clamp, and can be had for not much over $100 if you shop around.

Needs to be new? There's your $70-$100 already! Needs to have a lifetime warranty? There's another $70-$100! All vises have good & bad reviews by someone! I think you need $100-$170 for all that you want!

You seen the Wolff Apex ? I think that can be had for around $90 ( less on sale) and ticks most of your boxes at least. Pretty simple design. Very unlikely you will find a lifetime warranty on a $90 vise. But I've used the Apex and thought it was a nice vise to use and well made.

Tying 10 flies a day I doubt it matters much what vise you buy, I do that on my Indian made vise some days and have had it so far for 20 years..

Thank you for your advice and I don't have enough time to tie flies the whole day I just want to make a little profit around $300 a year for fun and not for a full time job. Did I use the term commercial wrong?

Thank you for your advice and I don't have enough time to tie flies the whole day I just want to make a little profit around $300 a year for fun and not for a full time job. Did I use the term commercial wrong?

Commercial tyers tie for the fly industry, sell to shops etc.. If you fill a few orders and turn a buck or two or three in your case, I don't know if that meets the criteria of "commercial" or not . If so , it would be pretty low volume. Another part of tying commercially is you have tax numbers and claim profit , in short, your activity is a business .