Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Au Sable 2022 trip daily updates

First two days on the river have been a bit slow. Weather is supposed to cloud up and showers this week so should get the fishing going in a better direction during the daytime streamer bite. Fished the past 2 days with my buddy Richard. I lost a real nice trout yesterday and he lost a good smallmouth. Only fished for an hour or so this morning before Richard left but picked up a couple bows. Now I am alone just me & the fish and deer for the next 2 weeks. Hope to get some rising trout and a hatch again tonight.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Hiked up to the warmwater section of the river behind the motel and pulled streamers on the spey rod for some smallmouth. Back at the motel resting up a bit till I head back out for the evening rise to get into some trout hopefully tonight.

5.jpg

4.jpg

I always fish better alone. At least my fishing stories say I fish better alone.  Enjoy.

Off to a good start. Warm water and cold water in one river. Best of both worlds.  BTW, who is the skinny guy in the photo?

LOT of rain on the river today. Figured there would be a good streamer bite with the cold wet weather, but after a few hours of no action I slogged my wet self back to the dry motel for a bit. River definitely needed this rain. Might head back out later this evening to give it another try perhaps.

6.jpg

Success!!😁 Went back out this evening because this weather being cool and wet is just perfect streamer weather. Started working a 6" jointed rainbow pattern I tie and this huge brown just absolutely crushed it. Not only was it a hell of a fight, but with the water being high and clouded I didn't see a log as I was netting him and ended up tripping and going for a swim. Soaked me to the bone, I think it ruined my brand new camera I just bought for the trip, but thankfully had my old camera in my gear bag so got a pic. It was such a great trout I am not even upset if the new camera is ruined. The fish was worth it 😎

7.jpg

Steve,

Take the batteries out of the camera and pack the camera in a bag full of rice. Leave it in the bag of rice for at least a week. It may be salvageable.

NICE fish BTW. Sounds like things are really starting to turn on there

Nice strong looking brown trout, Steve.

Excellent trip so far, except for the camera, hopefully you'll be able to salvage it.  

Good fish!  The rice will remove enough to, hopefully, get it working. Then just let it sit and dry. Outside with a bit of sun and breeze won't hurt.