Fly Tying
WWKimba

Venison Swap - Swap is Full

"I shot me a nice deer, and I hung it on the den wall in my house.  My neighbor comes over and he says, "Did you shoot that thing?" I said, "Nope. He ran through the wall and got stuck"." - Bill Engvall

Venison is the meat from any of the members of the deer family.  This includes elk, moose, caribou, as well as deer - all members of the cervid family.  I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A FREE MEAL!!  Here's the rules of this swap - all fly patterns have to include hair, mane, tail or other materials from one (or more) of the cervid family of animals.  Other tying materials are OK too, as long as the cervid family is included in the fly's make-up. I can think of one or two patterns that fall into this category, how about you??!

Registration will run until November 7th or until we have 12 members (whichever comes first) and flies are due in to me by Monday, December 5th - please plan on the holiday mail delays.  As with all my swaps, this one is open to all level tyers and a fly-tying gift will be given to all swappers.

Swaps are a great way to develop your tying skills and I am looking forward to seeing some new faces in the swap - the old faces are good (I've stuck with mine!🥴) - but some new faces would also be welcome.  If you are either new to tying AND/OR new to swaps just PM (personal message) me OR, if you are new to this site and cannot PM yet, just reply to this swap thread and I'll start a PM with you.  I've been hosting swaps for over 11 years now and have worked to help develop new tyers for as long as I can remember (at my age that may NOT be saying much!😉) so let me know and I can use this swap as a long-distance fly-tying class for you.

As always, have fun!

Kim

1 - psychoprince

2 - fishingbobnelson - Adams Trude - received

3 - Bryon Anderson - Irresistible Wulff - received

4 - John1986

5 - Woodenlegs - received

6 - niveker - Brown Haystack -received

7 - DarrellP - Tompson River Caddis Plus - received

8 - Squeezy -GFA Hopper

9 - Trouttramp - Madam X - received

10 - vicrider - received

11 - Chasing_Tails - Thunder Creek - recieved

12 - Stellahound1 - DHE received

I'd say that I was surprised, but I'm NOT that good a liar!  You are most welcome, my friend!

Timely, I just thawed out some ground venison, making space for Monday's start of the season.  

I'm in, probably a deer hair emerger, maybe a comparadun, or maybe something else. 

Actually, I'll go right to the original and tie a Haystack.  

You are all in.  And I've seen more than one deer wave goodbye to me!  We have an albino herd around Moravia, but I never did get one.

Kim

Well, here's the deal. I recently finished a swap like this on FB and realized how bad I was at spinning. I'm going to try again. My family here in OK is all hunters and almost always get their deer so I will have plenty of hair to choose from. This year I'm going to look up where to find the best hair for spinning and give it another try. I'll also get a few tails for streamers too.

When I lived up north there were several lakes that were stocked yearly with trout, mainly bows, and they lived over in the cold, clear waters up there. I'd often go out in the evenings and on the advice of one of the other fly guys up there I throw an original Gapen Muddler in the evening when the surface came alive with rings. I don't know if they thought it was a moth or a caddis or just something to eat but treating it kept it on top through several fish and was a part of my big three up there for trout. Small Mickey Finns, Royal Coachman streamers, and Gapen's Muddlers. All used deer hair so I'm shooting for the Muddler but if I fail it will be one of the others.