Fly Tying
DFoster

Record Largemouth-

On 5/4/2023 at 2:54 PM, vicrider said:

That ought to fire up the anti-livescope people.

Not necessarily, when it comes to record class LM there's a great deal of visual recon involved in the pursuit.  Be it clearwater observation of the big spawners or electronic monitoring from the boat, they often pick and choose the target fish.  Some call it "camping" when waiting and plying wears at a large, but not-yet-hungry fish lurking around.  

Not a knock on any of it, just wouldn't float my boat (even if I had one).

It was less than 8 pounds, if I read the story correctly.  Not a world record (total size), just a line class record and personal best for this particular angler.  I'm not taking anything away from her just because they were using electronics.  As knotjoe stated above, electronics and sight fishing have been part of the largemouth fishing world for about half a century.  Livescope is just the latest in that evolution.

Not the type of fishing I would enjoy, with spin or fly gear, but congrats to her.  She sounds pretty fired up.   

55 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

I must be getting old, because I have never even heard of Livescope before.

Same here- What is "Livescope"?

54 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

Hmmm.... Kind'a takes all the fun out of it imo. I guess to each his own though.

It depends on whether the fun in the "hunting" or the "catching."

However, it does feel a little bit like "cheating" to me.

20 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Hmmm.... Kind'a takes all the fun out of it imo. I guess to each his own though.

19 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

It depends on whether the fun in the "hunting" or the "catching."

However, it does feel a little bit like "cheating" to me.

When I spin fish for bass from my Kayak I never use a fish finder much less a "live scope".   I kind of enjoy looking at a pond and making an educated guess as to where the bass should be based on what I can observe. Maybe I'm in the "fun is in the hunting" group?   I'll admit it's not the most productive way to find them but It's rewarding when you get it right.  For the same reason I'm not into site fishing when I'm wading for trout.  There's almost a zen/meditation thing that happens from having to focus on the entire drift because the strike could come at any moment.   

I know one guy who has asked me out on his boat who has livescope. He says he has learned to tell the type of fish and approx. weight while trolling in one of our lakes that has bass, walleye, catfish, hybrids and stripers. He also can sit on a brushpile and selectively show his jig to the biggest fish in the group. Can't make'em bite but knows which ones they are. I need to get out with him soon.