Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Just FYI to all

I just want to let you all know, after 25yrs or so...and yep, it has been that long. From day one of helping Will start this site. Its been fun, been work over the years, but I and "we " have done it out of love. Anyway...

I made a decision tonight.  I ran this by Norm earlier to made sure he was okay with it....

have been thinking about this for quite a while now. I think I have came to the decision that I have been here a bit too long. Seriously, I just don't really enjoy the site like I use to for the past 20+ yrs. And maybe that's the reason, I have been here 20+ yrs.

I am old fashioned and I don't use the internet like most do, I don't use cell phones, gave them up 20 yrs ago, and online I don't have more than maybe 4-6 websites I enjoy. Even though I have been here since day 1 with Will, I just don't really enjoy coming here like I use to. My rod posts don't get much interaction, my "projects" I post in the lodge don't get much interaction, and good forbid I post in the gun section lol.

Anyway. I love you guys, and I still love this site. Over 20+ yrs ...maybe even 25 yrs now? It's hard not to love the site. But I am to the point where I don't really "enjoy" it as much as I use too over the years.

So I am for the most part, letting you guys know I am stepping aside. Norm has been doing a great job since I brought him on board, and he seems like he handles things just like I would myself, eveything he runs by me ahead of time I think, yup, that's how I would handle it. So I have no prob saying.....Norm is now in charge.

I will not be here much, I will still be around from time to time, but I am for the most part, officially handing things over to Norm.

Thanks guys. It's been 25+ yrs, I feel old lol....you are all the best. Love you all.

Steve I wish the best for you (tight lines and tight groups). Will and you have put together a place on the internet that I enjoy, and I can count on one hand the sites and blogs that I visit. Not one for social media or connectivity electronic or otherwise but I do feel a sense of friendship on this site that I don't get anywhere else. Please don't disappear from here or not at least until I get a few more rods 😁.

I have been here since 2009 and lurking a while prior to that, the site has changed some for the good and some I don't know. At times I feel (and know) we are not as active as the site used to be, the good-natured fun (ball busting) is gone but people today are thin skinned and get their feelings hurt and leave. Worse yet was the example of the classic site that turned from good natured to typical on-line harassment and attacks on tying style or ability. Asham because we lost a lot of great material in the archives and access to a lot of talent willing to help new tiers in that discipline. 

My hope is for new tiers and younger people to start getting involved in this hobby and sport but at 69 I feel like one of the younger dinosaurs. I do see younger people starting to experience things outdoors more vs virtual reality probably the only good thing to come from covid.

Norm is a great choice to hand the reins. flytire is a very accomplished tier and very computer orientated additionally he is helpful to new members on the forum. BZ Norm and thank you for stepping up.

Sad news on a Monday morning Steve, I wish you the best and hope you stay in touch.  Your posts added a nice variety to the site, though I may not have always commented on them.  

For what it’s worth Steve I always thought you did a great job with the site.  20+ years is a long time to stay committed to what I’m sure can at times be a thankless position, so thank you for all the work you’ve done here.  A love of fly fishing and fly tying is the common bond that brought us all here in the first place, the site might regain some of its allure once you get away from “job” side of it for a while.  Best wishes!

1 hour ago, RickZieger said:

do i get a raise?

I think it should be doubled, but if it zero now it stays there. 

Rick 

glad I dont work for you 👎

I'll still stop in from time to time, and I'll post pics of my yearly Au Sable trip and such. Prob dump a bunch of rod pics every once in a while in one post rather than weekely postings. Just honestly trying to step away from spending so much time on the computer is a big part of it. I don't use cell phones like most people, I'm old fashion that way, so I have to sit down at the PC to get online and I am just trying to make it where I don't have to do that as much so I can spend more time away from the screen.

So I'll still pop in here & there, but just not anywhere near as much as normal. Thanks guys.

Sorry to see you go Steve...you will be missed.

I must add that I am a guy whose cell phone lays in the car in case I truly need it when on the road. I am sitting at my computer writing this and like you that gets old. I find my self visiting this and one other site less and less. It tends to get a bit boring and doesn't hold my interest like it did originally. I will still pop in and see what's happening, but not much more than that.

Good luck, stay safe and healthy!!

George

Thank you for all you've done for us Steve. I can't imagine the amount of time and energy running this site for all these years must have taken, I just know it must have been a lot. You've done a tremendous job.  I'm glad you will still be around and posting from time to time - the place wouldn't be the same without you. :) 

I won't repeat what's been said, it's been said well and right. I'll just add my own, that I'm very grateful for you and Will and everyone else who's stepped up to make and continue this site. Thank you Steve, and congrats(?) and thank you Norm.

Love you, man. Maybe now you'll be able to  come up for a visit. I like Norm a lot too. Don't think you could have made a better choice. 

On 10/2/2023 at 12:42 PM, Steeldrifter said:

Just honestly trying to step away from spending so much time on the computer is a big part of it. I don't use cell phones like most people, I'm old fashion that way, so I have to sit down at the PC to get online and I am just trying to make it where I don't have to do that as much so I can spend more time away from the screen.

Steve, It's been nice to meet you here and to read your posts.  Along with a few of the others here I think you and I even exchanged some messages when you were helping me out.  Thanks!

I have a question about your posts.  If you don't use a cell phone do you use a landline?  (Personally, I hate cell phones especially smart phones.  I wish I could go back to a landline with a couple of high tech accessories; an answering machine and a caller ID device.  👍 )  Reducing the use of cell phones would probably do a lot of us some good.