Fly Tying
deerhairdan

February Flies From the Bench

Mouse have been multiplying from my bench. Natural/bleached white and a Harley Davidson on #1/0s.

Very cool!

IMG_20160209_005340_zpsofeinleb.jpg

One of my first attempts at a semi realistic scud.The body is a strip of vinyl from a regular vinyl glove, legs are gray ostrich and the antennae are brahma hen fibers.

Looks good, Bulb, other than I can't see the ribbing. Not that that will matter to the fish, but it's a key part of scud bodies, in my opinion.

With some great help & a few ideas from another FTF member (Bryon Anderson)

I took a crack at the Weedless Bomber Frog.

Mine turned out so ugly that I'm calling it "The Hideous", L0L.

The rear foam 'cowl' came out a tad shy of the hook points but it's doable.

The bottom is keel-weighted with strips of 0.030" lead wire, and it never failed to right itself in my recent dunk test.

I took two Gamma worm hooks, cut the eye off of one hook, lashed the hook shanks together with SS wire & Zap-A-Gap ~

the various bends on the hook shanks help keep the shanks from torquing out of plane. Once the glue was cured, I just

forced the hook gapes apart to the necessary width, et voilá! Instant custom-made strip hook.

It just crawled outta the tub.....thanks for looking!

29c12s0.jpg

With some great help & a few ideas from another FTF member (Bryon Anderson)

I took a crack at the Weedless Bomber Frog.

Mine turned out so ugly that I'm calling it "The Hideous", L0L.

The rear foam 'cowl' came out a tad shy of the hook points but it's doable.

The bottom is keel-weighted with strips of 0.030" lead wire, and it never failed to right itself in my recent dunk test.

I took two Gamma worm hooks, cut the eye off of one hook, lashed the hook shanks together with SS wire & Zap-A-Gap ~

the various bends on the hook shanks help keep the shanks from torquing out of plane. Once the glue was cured, I just

forced the hook gapes apart to the necessary width, et voilá! Instant custom-made strip hook.

It just crawled outta the tub.....thanks for looking!

29c12s0.jpg

not bad but why not just buy the double hooks to start with

Also not sure how weedless this would be if it rolls at all, if you remember the plastic frog the hook point is tight against the body, but the body was hollow so it would collapse when bit. If you pull this under a lifted Lilly pad its going to snag.

The rear "hump" of foam, Joseph, is supposed to be against the hook points ... just like the hollow plastic frogs. But Jack said this was his first attempt and that he didn't get that part right.

The original ...

Looks good, Bulb, other than I can't see the ribbing. Not that that will matter to the fish, but it's a key part of scud bodies, in my opinion.

Looks like there is mono for the ribbing Mike.

but you are correct it doesn't stand out like dogs nuts. Or a red Beard lololol ( perhaps I should not have said that )

Also not sure how weedless this would be if it rolls at all, if you remember the plastic frog the hook point is tight against the body, but the body was hollow so it would collapse when bit. If you pull this under a lifted Lilly pad its going to snag.

Very good point, joseph!

Will keep that in mind for my next attempts.

not bad but why not just buy the double hooks to start with

From what I could tell from the catalogue photos of the doubles I did find,

those hook shanks tended to be on the short side. Just a matter of preference.