Fly Tying
jjs89yj

Material Waste Basket DIY and bought

Hey guys, I've searched through the forums, but I haven't seen much, or maybe my web-fu isn't up to snuff. Anyway, my wife is about to kill me for having tying waste strewn about. I do my best to keep it neat and tidy, but it seems like each time the ac kicks on when I'm tying, scraps get sent everywhere.

What do you guys do to keep the scraps in place? I saw one scrap basket by C&F Design, but at almost $50 bucks it seemed a little over priced.

Why not a small plastic container that you can get at the dollar stores? Obviously a lot cheaper than Amazon.

This little machine is priced right and worth its weight in lemon wood duck feathers. It comes with an accessory to clean your keyboard and has lots of other uses but lives next to my tying bench. The gazillion reviews will support my high praise.

post-54877-0-58672400-1465501856_thumb.jpg

A Tupperware-style sandwich size box makes a great waste basket. About a dollar each, or less. They're also good for storage.

Mike has the best idea. If I was using a desk my wife didn't care so much about I would be chopping a hole like that in it.

J

i can't believe i didn't think about a plastic container. I guess i could even glue magnets in the bottom of it to keep it stationary on my pedestal base. I REALLY like mike's idea, but fear the repercussions if i present cutting a hole in the desk as the option of the lesser of two evils to my wife haha. Thanks fellas

I use a coffee mug. About a quarter at Goodwill.

I have a Mug Boss on the same mug that I keep my tying tools in. All nice and compact.

One of the domes from a multi pack of blank CDs / DVDs makes an ideal container. It is easy enough to fashion a holder for it.

Cheers,

C.

I use a magnetic waste basket. I really like it. Just pull on it and the magnet releases and dump it. I think it is similar to the C & F version but much cheaper.

post-58148-0-28621500-1465517232_thumb.jpg

post-58148-0-87765100-1465517239_thumb.jpg

I also have a downspout cut in half attached with Velcro to a piece of shelf lining. I don't put a lot of trash in it but it keeps loose scraps and most of the tools from falling on the floor. The wood end pieces are attached with two screws so it is easy to tip one up and brush out the contents. I read about this on FAOL a long time ago. This is my second version. The first was made out of black PVC cut in half. This half of a vinyl downspout is smaller and works really well for me.

post-58148-0-58230100-1465517213_thumb.jpg

post-58148-0-25890300-1465517222_thumb.jpg

I use an empty butter/margarine tub or Chinese takeaway container on my tying table

margarine.jpg

PCRD.PCRDL-28-Round-Plastic-Container-wi

Waste Trol by DH Thompson. I'd don't know if these are still available?

Thanks guys. Having my own den with my own desk has it's advantages. I also have a cover for it, to keep the cats out when I am away.