Fly Tying
stabgnid

Time to retire ...

Well I think its time to retire my first bobbin .. I have figured this out after several thread breaks today . Thinking about getting one with the ruby tips in it .. dose anyone use one ???

like to hear about them ..

Steve-stabgnid

Dont retire it, use it for lead or wire.

That's what I did with my vise that kept breaking thread,I use it for gsp as well so I don't gunk up my nice one.

Griffin ceramic. But first make sure your spool isn't set too tight. My first bobbin with a stainless tube I too one thought needed replacing and I later learned it wasn't the bobbin at all but how tight I ran it, I now use that very same bobbin again along with 3 others, mostly ceramic.

Terra ceramic tip. 6 bucks each. Last forever, don't break thread. Only bad thing is people think of them as cheap bobbins made in India. If that bothers you.

I'm still using my oldest decent bobbin - it's been going 40 years or more now - an old Matarelli.... For anyone working heavier threads like we do in saltwaters I can't recommend standard Griffin bobbins enough - I have a half dozen in regular use (and one or two still new). The Griffins have been going strong at least 30 years now...

Renzetti bobbins with ruby tip is very good, but for the price the Tiemco bobbins are quite good. I have both and use the Teimcos more often, just my personal preference.

My favourite is a matarelli which doesn't help you much but I second the Griffith's ones for being heavy duty and cost effective. Had a ceramic one for a present and the ceramic tube broke first time it fell, onto carpet too! so not really cost effective for my use.

Well I spent some money today I bought a Dr Slick Titanium Bobbin .. I wish I would have done this a long time ago . All I can say its smooth !!! I see a second one in the near future !!

Steve-stabgnid