Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BobHRAH

Casting with tippet rings/swivels

Not the question, Vicente. Up until a couple of years ago, I used straight 10# mono from fly line to fly. Usually 10# test, since I'm going after bass and sunfish, once in a while, 6#.

I'd get wind knots up and down the length of the mono. Change the whole line when I'd get two, or a bad one. To keep the wind knots to a minimum, I tried using a leader/tippet set up. 14# leader and 10# tippet.

I tried a tapered leader for a few trips, but I wasn't "impressed". For the fishing I do, the tapered leader just didn't seem to give me any advantages.

So, I am using the 14/10 set up. I was wondering if using tippet rings would give any noticeable improvement. I doubt it, but I thought I'd ask ... see if anyone knows.

Probably not especially since you only use a 2 part leader. I thunk it's more benefit to people who are worried about preserving the main section of leader so they don't have to tie or buy another tapered leader.

@mc my only concern would be if the mono is too heavy for the tippet ring set up. On a lighter line I like the tippet ring better than perfection loop connections.

Are the rings any kind of improvement for this set up?

No.

for years, decades, I used loop-to-loop connection for my tippet to the leader. I still do sometimes. I have caught fish from Maine to Florida to Alaska to Nevada to Japan to Ireland using loop-to-loop connections. If you tighten them correctly without making a girth-hitch there should be no problems at all, within reason. Tippet rings are neat. They work. As with EVERYTHING in fly fishing, there are many ways to effectively do the same job.

I just use a length of 14 # test for the leader, and 10# or 6# for the tippet. Connect the two with perfection loops.

Are the rings any kind of improvement for this set up?

I think so, if you're using two flies. The tippet ring makes changing the top one a breeze.

On dries you will notice the difference dropping too many sizes at once, but only in the delicacy of initial presentation. I typically go 4x on leader drop to 5x on tippet and it's fine. Jumping to 6x or 7x you lose a lot of delicacy in the way the line initially lays out, but other than that no difference other than saving having to retie from your leader when the fly & some line breaks off at the tippet knot.

OK, I'll just pass them rings on when I see a guy that needs them then. Thank you. Its not hard to tie a knot that can handle a 2x jump.

As with EVERYTHING in fly fishing, there are many ways to effectively do the same job.

Ain't that the truth !!!

I think so, if you're using two flies. The tippet ring makes changing the top one a breeze.

Ah, using two flies. I've not tried that ... probably won't. Once upon a time, I was running two soft plastics ... mimicking some bait running in the mouth of an oxbow.

Caught two bass at once, both of them 5 pounds or so. Snapped the line between me and them. About 10 minutes later, the two of them surfaced, wearing each other out. We tried to get to them, but they went deep and never came up again. I figure they died down there, wrapped around something, starving to death.

Of course, I don't use braid on my fly fishing, but that situation has stayed with me. I catch enough on one fly ... no need to take a chance on doing that again.

I have just gotten some rings and plan to try them for a two fly setup. I have been using furled leaders with just a length of 4-6x tippet. Works fine but want to try running a standard mono tapered leader down to 4x. Add a tippet ring and trim close. Add a 5 or 6x leader to the ring and leave a long (12") tag end on that tippet leader. Tie either unweighted or light weighted nymph or soft hackle to that end, then a weighted nymph or jig to long tippet end. Might also work with two buggers or streamers or different combinations.

How do you tie a dry dropper rig onto an tippet ring?

I just tie the dry to the tippet from the ring and then tie the dropper to the hook bend or eye of the dry. I think I prefer tying to the hook bend but I haven't been doing this stuff long so I'm not sure what's actually best.

see the post just above yours, he describes tying the tippet on with a long tag end, this leaves the tippet end and the tag end as places to tie fly. The same can be done with about any knot, by leaving a 8-12" tag when making the knot. Just don't snip the tag.

see the post just above yours, he describes tying the tippet on with a long tag end, this leaves the tippet end and the tag end as places to tie fly. The same can be done with about any knot, by leaving a 8-12" tag when making the knot. Just don't snip the tag.
That post was referring to two sub surface flies. I was just curious if there was a specific way to do a dry dropper.

To me a dropper is a dropper, the dry or wet part is determined by the fly construction and application of floatant.I don't use them often though (State laws etc.) and some others may be able tell a different story. I like to keep the "top" fly on a very short dropper though , it seems to help prevent tangles. And I would leave the long tag on the stiffer material for the same reason.

That post was referring to two sub surface flies. I was just curious if there was a specific way to do a dry dropper.

I do exactly the same as I do for two wets. The top dry is on a short piece of tippet, and the point fly, which can be either a dry or a wet, is on a longer piece of tippet.

My personal belief (unsubstantiated, of course) is that I get better hook ups on the top fly if I'm not obstructing the point with a piece of tippet tied to it.

Alternatively, if I'm using a dry/wet combo, the dry can be on point.