Fly Tying
petelangevin

Who made the ergo bobbin?

Not sure if it was umpqua or metz?  Always wanted one but can’t recall who made it.   Does anyone have one or recall them?

Loon makes one called the ergo bobbin yellow plastic hand grip? somehow I don't think that's the one your referring to.

I have a tiemco that was available for a very short time and didn't like it so gave it away to a friend I think he may still have it

Loon sells a bobbin called the ergo bobbin. It's 20.00 bucks. They have a series of tools with the ergo name. I'm sure other companies do as well. 

My old (and trusted) "bullet head" bobbin, has a "bullet" that goes all the way around, and is sturdy.  Most of the similar ones I see online don't look quite as sturdy except perhaps those that have something the shape and size of a dime or penny where the bullet would be.  Gosh, here it is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-and-Brass-Body-Ceramic-Tip-Bobbin-Holder-Fly-Tying-tool-Best-Durable/293518485687?hash=item445710a8b7:g:aPUAAOSwLdtesAS8

At one point, I got interested in those with adjustable tension, but then I learned it seems to be the case that it's much more time consuming to swap out the thread.

Comments/suggestions welcome!

Bill

It's loon. I use mine for stacked / spun deer hair, sometimes other stuff but not small stuff. Buttery smooth tube, great leverage, very comfortable in the hand. But it does squeek. Nonstop. It's also enormous. Huge. And yellow. And yes, it has that eco-bro vibe to it. I caught that vibe and now I can't stop hammocking. Be careful.

😉

I purchased the old version of the loon ergo bobbin. I did not like it. It had big black plastic parts that hold the thread. They did not hold the spool well at all. Years later I was looking at the loon outdoors website and I noticed that they redesigned it with brass parts. I emailed them and told them that I do not like the old version that I have and about the issues I have had with it. They sent me the new version for free.  I like the new one so far. Seems like they have great customer service. 

Nothing wrong with a good hammock!

i'm not sure who made but i recall this style to be the ergo bobbin holder from years ago. now loon took the name

tur-FTT03.jpg

19 hours ago, cphubert said:

You would have to find ergo grease.

You get that grease from clubbed Seal Pups, right?