Fly Tying
troutmaster08

What should I fish

Today I found a pond and was hoping for it to have some bass but I found that someone was running a whole trout stocking operation here. It is the last place I would expect to find a trout (a pond just north of atlanta) but I found one dead fish on the shore that was probably 2 pounds and there were multiple automated feeders. I'm gonna head back on wednesday and was wondering what all i should use. A picture of the pond and fish are attached.

Screenshot 2020-12-06 at 7.17.19 PM.png

20201206_114732.jpg

Since they are stocking them at that size, and by looking at the worn down tail fin it's for sure been in a concrete raceway it's whole life being feed pellets. So if buggers or other natural looking flies do not work, tie a tan/brown "pellet fly" out of deer hair and it would most likely work.

Trout pellets will work well, there should also be larger midges and scuds in the pond.

Larvae and pupa.JPG

Purina Trout Chow.JPG

Trout angler in PA formed a ball of plastic wood on a hook and colored it with a brown Sharpie. Caught tons of stockers until they learned to eat other things in the streams.

I would be looking for the owner for permission to fish that pond. Otherwise I would just fish how I normally fish with my normal flies. 

5 hours ago, utyer said:

Trout pellets will work well, there should also be larger midges and scuds in the pond.

Larvae and pupa.JPG

Purina Trout Chow.JPG

Is that last fly called Joseph?!

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:

I would be looking for the owner for permission to fish that pond. Otherwise I would just fish how I normally fish with my normal flies. 

that's what I was thinking. no posted signs? have fun while you can I guess.  

I'm also on the side of finding out who owns that pond. It costs a lot  of money to be stocking trout in that size range and people who do that don't just leave the pond available for anyone to walk in. I'd err on the side of caution since I'm one that was told about a pond and damn near cost me a trespassing ticket.

Being from Massachusetts, I thought it odd that it's not posted.

I'm not sure of the location of any privately stocked ponds in Massachusetts, but where-ever they may be, I wouldn't doubt that they are either behind a 6' chain link fence topped with razor wire, under video surveillance, or patrolled by a junk yard dog, if not all three - LOL.

17 hours ago, niveker said:

Being from Massachusetts, I thought it odd that it's not posted.

I'm not sure of the location of any privately stocked ponds in Massachusetts, but where-ever they may be, I wouldn't doubt that they are either behind a 6' chain link fence topped with razor wire, under video surveillance, or patrolled by a junk yard dog, if not all three - LOL.

As a resident of the Central part of the “Commonwealth” myself, the privately stocked ponds I know of belong to sportsman’s clubs. membership is required to fish -