Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pete Engel

Fly tying vises for a beginner

Just stumbled upon this thread, and I coincidentally just wrote a review for my Regal Medallion Series on my blog.  I personally think its the best mid-price range vise because its incredibly sturdy and user friendly.  Not trying to spam, but here is the link: https://thecurrentangler.com/2021/01/04/regal-medallion-series-vise-review/

On 12/31/2020 at 3:30 PM, SilverCreek said:

I suggest a true rotary vise rather than a rotating vise. The Peak is a little more expensive but since fly tying vises last a lifetime, I would choose the Peak 

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/peak-rotary-vise-with-pedestal-base

1d710f_ff1b0420f41c46d1ae0b49bef5239646~

Outstanding! 

OK, I'll get chopped for this but if you are just starting out try the J Stockard Junior Vise.  It's not a rotary.  It doesn't have a bobbin cradle.  It doesn't have a material clip.  It doesn't have much of anything.  But, it only costs $5.95.  Yes the decimal point is in the right place.  Try it. J. Stockard Junior Vise | J. Stockard Fly Fishing (jsflyfishing.com)

And then take your time picking out your life time vise.

I owned a Regal Vise and got rid of it. It spit small hooks and customers complained that the jaws chipped. I have read that the stainless steel jaws cured the chipping problem but I think it still can "spit" small hooks.

Personally I would not recommend a Regal.

https://www.google.com/search?q=regal+vise+and+spitting+hooks&source=lmns&bih=1249&biw=1567&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjn-YSQnOfuAhXcA50JHUitC6sQ_AUoAHoECAEQAA

11 minutes ago, BHouk said:

This is a good approach, IMO.  

1 hour ago, SilverCreek said:

I owned a Regal Vise and got rid of it. It spit small hooks and customers complained that the jaws chipped. I have read that the stainless steel jaws cured the chipping problem but I think it still can "spit" small hooks.

Personally I would not recommend a Regal.

https://www.google.com/search?q=regal+vise+and+spitting+hooks&source=lmns&bih=1249&biw=1567&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjn-YSQnOfuAhXcA50JHUitC6sQ_AUoAHoECAEQAA

This gets brought up every time someone recommends a Regal. I have Been tying on a Regal for over 20 years. I have tied thousands of flies on it , from size 2/0 to 24, and It has ejected one hook. If you place the hook correctly, you will likely never see this issue.

Yeah, I know. I suppose it has never happened to you.

But for me it's just not worth the trouble. Mount a small hook wrong and ping! Out comes the flashlight and magnet to find that small hook. I suppose somebody has to be buying Regals, but it won't ever me, ever again.

Life is just too short to put up with that. I'll use my Renzetti instead.

I shot a 3/0 eagle claw 570 jig hook out of my Griffin vise. Shooting is not really the correct word it just pinched out and fell a few inches from the vise. Not a small hook though. I have never shot a hook from my regal vise and I use it for much smaller hooks. My point being a hook can be shot out of any and every vise made and probably has. I'm pretty sure when one pays a ridicules amount of money for a law vise or other wizbang vise they would never admit to a hook shot. Kind of like how few if any people ever have a bad thing to say about a Lamborghini. I mean there has to be something they don't like about their lambo. 

Now im not overly educated and I'm sure there are lots of charts, graphs and power curves that could be made to say otherwise but common sense suggests if your trying to clamp a round object with a flat object, if you set the round object incorrectly it will shoot out. Sooooooooo.........it's a hook and user problem not a vise problem. Now I have absolutely no brand loyalties to anything but I gotta say, I really really like my regal and my Griffin. For those that buy into the regal only hook shot poop, thankfully  we have choices, but you are tossing out a vise that has few  peers in hook holding power and that over all else is the most important function of a vise. 

Silver,

I think Jaydub’s point is that there really is no trouble. I am in the exact same boat. In 15 years I have had one hook fly, which was my fault. I have accidentally snapped the jaws a few times... No chipping.

in my experience, old Regals are great. But I am not discounting Renzettis as great vises, even though that O-ring needs replacement every once in a while.

2 hours ago, BHouk said:

OK, I'll get chopped for this but if you are just starting out try the J Stockard Junior Vise.

Sacrilege! Uncivilized!... 😉

Ive tied on a Thompson model a, regal inex and renzetti traveler and have yet to have the vises spit out any hooks. Lucky for me I guess

i drop more hooks than vises spitting them out 🤪🤪

3 hours ago, BHouk said:

OK, I'll get chopped for this but if you are just starting out try the J Stockard Junior Vise.  It's not a rotary.  It doesn't have a bobbin cradle.  It doesn't have a material clip.  It doesn't have much of anything.  But, it only costs $5.95.  Yes the decimal point is in the right place.  Try it. J. Stockard Junior Vise | J. Stockard Fly Fishing (jsflyfishing.com)

ANY good fly tyer KNOWS that you must spend AT MINIMUM 3 months worth of your salary to buy a vise .... oh wait.... that's an engagement ring ----- NEVERMIND!

Kim

I too have owned my Regal for over 20 years and exactly one time did it "spit" a hook on me, and of course it was my fault for not seating the hook properly.  I'm not saying it's the best vise out there but I do think this gets way over played.  Now, I will admit that I spend most of my time tying on larger hooks and rarely smaller than 14's so maybe that's why I have been so lucky.  

As for me, a vise that I will never buy again, was an older HMH, it wouldn't hold larger hooks worth a poop though I was working within their stated acceptable range.  It was great for smaller hooks and I know others that never had a problem with their larger hooks slipping but I was not that fortunate.

As far as true rotary, you need not spend more than a Peak IMO.