Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Gene L

Getting acquainted with Arthur

Arthur Ritus, that is. Arthritis is in both hands and robbing my ability (what little I have) and robbing me of desire.  So far, while I can't close my left hand completely, my fingers are workable.  Doctor's appointment in MARCH!!! for Chrissake. Don't want this to be a poor, poor, pitiful me thread.  I can still tie some.

The drug Celebrex helped my wife with her arthritis a lot. The only side effect is if she had other kinds of pain she couldn't take ibuprofen for that. And believe it or not diet change took her from sleeping at night sitting up with a neck brace on at age 35 to a pretty ordinary active life till her death at 71. The two things combined, that drug and diet change, changed her life and She gained all those years of fairly normal activity. The diet is different for each person, you got to find your triggers kind of like how gout is. So she went to a full fish, rice and chicken only diet and felt the improvement in the first month. Then added in other foods, anything she added that made the arthritis flare she took off her grocery list. Huge triggers for her: Black pepper, all citrice products, raw apples but cooked were fine, certain dairy products, a steady diet of eggs but she could have some now and then. So in the end she wasn't cutting all that much out. We ground our own pepper corns made from white, green and the little red corns pepper corns and really it tasted as good if not better than black did.. Just sayin.

By the way, the diet change wasn't her idea, she had a book written by an oriental doctor who had been wheel chair bound with arthritis and over came that through ancient way, simple fish and rice diet. He got out of that wheel chair so the story goes..

Taking Meloxicam. Got to the point I couldn't close my thumb and index finger on my right hand without manually closing them with my left hand. Diet only affects my waistline.

Periodically one hand or the other will get a hard pain jolt - but I'm lucky those are my only symptoms so far.  As a guy who poles a boat as well as ties flies, builds rods, etc.  it's on my radar.  At 72 I consider myself lucky that most of my parts still work okay (if a bit slower).  I'll be watching this thread and hoping not to go down the same road - at least for another few years... 

No symptoms for me at this time.  My wife does say I have it between the ears when I tie some size 22 and 24 flies.  Especially if I weave something. 

Rick 

Mine is a combo of carpal tunnel and arthritis.   I don’t have a lot of dexterity, i dropped a box of size 22 hooks on the floor.  I could not pick them up,  had to go get a magnet.  It feels like i have nothing but thumbs.  Hoping to get surgery done after this covid mess is over.      

2 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Periodically one hand or the other will get a hard pain jolt - but I'm lucky those are my only symptoms so far.  As a guy who poles a boat as well as ties flies, builds rods, etc.  it's on my radar.  At 72 I consider myself lucky that most of my parts still work okay (if a bit slower).  I'll be watching this thread and hoping not to go down the same road - at least for another few years... 

Yep, we're at the age where certain parts hurt and what doesn't hurt, doesn't work. AMHIK.

I've heard this guy can replace those hands with better versions ... as long as you don't care where the "new" ones came from!

636113004207396743-Young-Frankenstein-1.

A satisfied customer.

the-strange-life-of-dr-frankenstein-pane

It’s not so much limited abilities as it’s pain management.  Tough when you can’t sleep in a bed and barely in a recliner.  Got a plate in right wrist and DupuytinContaracture creeping in and left shoulder has whithered to the point the doc said I need an aluminum shoulder in about a year.  But got an injection last year in the shoulder after murderous therapy guy “broke” the locked up thing.  I cried.  So far I’m pain free.   Amazing; I’m 71. I found the narcotics only last a few hours. Bless the Celebrex.  Don’t have to take anything for awhile lately.  Limited what I do with the left shoulder.   Crank the heck outa spin rig  reeling in specks and reds with left hand though.   Can’t use my 12wts more than a few minutes casting but can fight fish.   Mostly use 5wt bassin. Had to stop trapping; couldn’t compress the springs to set even a lil #1 long spring with right hand. Still hunt;shoot.  The right hand grip on a shotgun/ rifle is little tricky but works OK. Funny I used to be tough; when I worked the Gulf...

Mikey, you’ll get old one of these days😜

Carpal Tunnel, rotator cuff, sciatica, TMJ, sleep apnea, triple bypass.  As a friend says, "if I wake up and something doesn't hurt, I think I've had a stroke.  It takes a lot more getting ready to do something.

Damn.  I thought I was in bad shape until some of you chimed in.  I'm actually glad to be alive, sometimes I forget it.  I'm going on 76, survived a war and have had THREE heart surgeries, 5-4-5 arteries replaced, beat the odds on that one.  Still got good vision, no pain unless I foolishly try to do things my arthritis prevents me from doing easily. 

Yep, I too wish I took out an extended warranty on this body when it was offered back when I turned fifty!  Needed a new fly rod at the time and you know...priorities!

Kim