Fly Tying
flytyingperson

favorite category of flies

what is your favorite category of flies?  

317 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since I am not trout fishing, I tie terrestrials ... nothing beats a bass or bream topwater hit on a grasshopper or dahlberg.

i really like to tie some simple tent wing caddis, because i love waatching fish take them and i do so well with them

for tying, I love everything.

For fishing, it really depends on species.

For most trout, I mainly find myself using nymphs.

For brookies, it's mostly attractor-style dries.

I voted midge but a close second for me is a nymph. Why is a nymph a close second? Every spieces of fish will eat something that is brown and about 5/8 of an inch long. For you metric guys 5/8 of an inch is 15.875mm

I had to click on attractor as a category but really for tying its classic attractor wet flies and then maybe streamers to follow. I know I've had a profoundly enjoyable time tying wets and soft hackles like The Professor and Peacock and Partridge or Hen. But the Ghost series and even my own versions of Muddlers and Woolly Buggers are fun too. So wets.

Fishing: That's all according to where I am , but probably my very best favorite catch category is a good sized salmon on a Royal Wullf or Royal Coachman dry fly or Stimulator right smack in the middle of a stubborn caddis hatch when it shouldn't work LOL.

At home it's midge fishing if in ponds. Sand eels if in a salt estuary.