Fly Tying
flytire

Best concerts you've attended

Went to a Kiss concert and a Rush concert because I was invited.  Did not enjoy either one.  I like studio records, with all the editing and sound enhancements that make good music.  

Concerts have two failures that made those two concerts the only ones I've ever been to. 

1.  The music isn't nearly as good as the recorded music is.  

2.  WAY too many people.  I don't like people, in general, and that much crowding together just brings hatred to the surface.

Adam Ant in Portland Me 1982 I think.  Drove in a raging blizzard for 2 hours to see them.  They played for maybe 150 people and they played like it was Wembley  Stadium. Epic!

Second was taking my Daughters to their first concert,  Zac Brown on the waterfront.

Michael

10 hours ago, mikechell said:

Went to a Kiss concert and a Rush concert because I was invited.  Did not enjoy either one.  I like studio records, with all the editing and sound enhancements that make good music.  

Concerts have two failures that made those two concerts the only ones I've ever been to. 

2.  WAY too many people.  I don't like people, in general, and that much crowding together just brings hatred to the surface.

Spoken like the old guy that chases kids off of his lawn...Although correct on your points,partially 😋

Most bands have a hard time replicating their studio recordings (Rush and Genesis being the only two I've seen that I would consider "Note Perfect)

As far as too many people...Meh, Its a concert,its to be expected. Didnt expect a private show,didja? 😋😋😋

2 hours ago, The Mad Duck said:

As far as too many people...Meh, Its a concert,its to be expected. Didnt expect a private show,didja? 😋😋😋

I almost obtained that one time.  Went to see Pure Prairie League at a small outdoor venue and like everyone, was told that it had been rained out at the last minute.  Well, I guess someone forgot to tell the band that because they came out and began setting up.  Being curious, I wandered over and sat down a few feet away along with just a handful of other people.  The guys asked me what I wanted to hear as they were going to practice anyway and so I told them "Amie" and a few other tunes and they were kind enough to oblige.  It wasn't until after several numbers, the word got around and people started piling in but still not a large crowd because most had gone home.  The guys told me that they were under contract to play or they weren't getting paid in full so they made sure they played.     

5 hours ago, The Mad Duck said:

Well, on my first concert, I didn't know what to expect.  But I didn't like the crowd roaring in applause at each riff and solo so that I couldn't hear the music being played for the next minute or so.  I also didn't expect the people around me, with no musical talent at all, to be singing along in hoarse voices.  More importantly, I suppose, is the jostling and lack of personal space.  I elbowed and toe stomped several people to get them to give up some space ... and we were even that close to the stage.

At the second concert, we were seated ... so the close-quarter defense mode wasn't as big an issue.  But the screaming, shouting/singing along, and lack of studio effects in the music I could hear was enough to make a third concert a "Never again" decision for me.

19 hours ago, mikechell said:

I don't like people in general? What the hell is wrong with you? You're arrogant, which is quite evident after all these years. You should be ashamed to make a statement like that. Get off of this site because we're people. Go back to your home planet.

15 minutes ago, feathers5 said:

I don't like people in general? What the hell is wrong with you? You're arrogant, which is quite evident after all these years. You should be ashamed to make a statement like that. Get off of this site because we're people. Go back to your home planet.

I don't like being around people either, I never have been a people person, I don't care for most people because of the way they are & act so I usually avoid crowded situations as well..want to tell me to leave the site as well?  People are free to feel how ever they want to feel. No one needs your permission to say how they feel. You don't get to tell people how to feel or if they should be on the site or not. You need to calm down.

I'm guessing feathers5 was just teasing. 

My whole career meant dealing with people all day long, but one on one, and I really like that.  I'm not crazy about being in and around crowds, especially when fishing.  I see those opening day photos from some trout stream where guys are shoulder to shoulder and know that's not for me.  I'd rather be by myself on a stream and get skunked vs dealing with the crowds.  As I've grown older, I'm definitely more crowd adverse than when  in my youth.

16 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

I don't like being around people either, I never have been a people person, I don't care for most people because of the way they are & act so I usually avoid crowded situations as well..want to tell me to leave the site as well?  People are free to feel how ever they want to feel. No one needs your permission to say how they feel. You don't get to tell people how to feel or if they should be on the site or not. You need to calm down.

20 hours ago, mikechell said:

17 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

I find it laughable that two  administrators of a public forum don't like people. People have a right to say what they want, but I don't need to be part of such negativity. So long!

Just as Mike and anyone else is free to feel how they want to feel, you are free to stay or leave a website. If you want to leave then you know where the door is at. Take care.

2 hours ago, feathers5 said:

Pretty harsh there fella. Just because someone thinks or feels differently than you, they should leave?  You sound like an entitled millennial. Lighten up Francis

I don't like or dislike people, although I've been avoiding large crowds since the pandemic started.

I'm curious though as why any one go to a concert to hear the exact same thing they can hear on a record?  I go to hear something new.  If the band can't improvise, I don't think very highly of them (except classical musicians, of course.) I've seen a few acts that played everything exactly the same as the record, and made a mental note to never go see them again.  I still might enjoy their records, but see no point in going to see them recreate those.

Crowds of people are one thing, people one-on-one are another.  I prefer the the latter.  

I never got into the big name, big arena type concerts, biggest I ever went to were Jimmy Buffet a few times and James Taylor once in Tampa, only because someone had given me free tickets, so pretty mellow.  

I was more into the local music scenes in the places I lived, in small venues where a big crowd might have been 200 people.  The end of the 70's into the 80's, I saw a few 'up and comers' before they became well known.  Boston, Washington DC, Austin, Tampa, I travelled around a bit in those days.  Talking Heads, REM, 10,000 Maniacs, The Pixies, some I've completely forgotten.  I could be pretty crazy back in those days.