Fly Tying
vicrider

Happy to run Christmas Box Swap again

On 12/25/2022 at 9:50 AM, gillage said:

First thing this am, I opened a package of flies from @Squeezy

Nice ties each and every one of them. Can't wait to get'em wet.

Thanks St. Nick for hosting and the band of merry elves.

Glad ya like them, sure hope they catch a fish for you!

On 12/25/2022 at 9:41 AM, Chris_in_Louisiana said:

Just opened an outstanding mix of saltwater offerings from @Chasing_Tails

Can't wait to try a few out in the marsh tomorrow morning!!  I'm thinking that 1/0 Bunny Crab will start the day tied to my 9wt in hopes of encountering some Bull Reds.  While the #2 Foxy Lady will find its way to my 8wt should I stumble across any sheepshead.

Big thanks to Chasing Tails for the box, and, of course, to Nick for once again putting this together.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Chris

So...did you get out??

That bunny crab is one of my favorite winter time flies and usually gets jumped on pretty quick.

The raggedy crab is a new design using some Fly Tyers Dungeon materials that I have found provide great movement in the water without adding bulk.

Good luck and tight lines.

Chasing_Tails

I got a great box all the way from downunder. Thank you Lil Dave for a selection that I can use in both freshwater for bass and various saltwater species. Some of the bunny flies scream spring tarpon.

Happy Holidays everyone!

thumbnail_IMG_7543.jpg.eb5b9b4098bfb4c93f92176acd7ec932.jpg

17 hours ago, Chasing_Tails said:

So...did you get out??

That bunny crab is one of my favorite winter time flies and usually gets jumped on pretty quick.

The raggedy crab is a new design using some Fly Tyers Dungeon materials that I have found provide great movement in the water without adding bulk.

Good luck and tight lines.

Chasing_Tails

I made it out, but sadly the weatherman lied.  It was suppose to be a low of 50/high of 55 on the coast with negligible winds.  It was 38 F when I arrived.  Never got about 45 F, and the winds were gusting at 20 knots.  I saw one redfish all day, but was not prepared to take a shot before it spooked.  Apparently the fish still haven't come back out after 3-4 days of feezing temps.

The raggedy crab is really nice as well.  I've had a few newer tyers asking for suggestions on patterns they can tie with FTD materials that they recently purchased.  Thanks to your Christmas box, I have a few new suggestions for them.

Thank you again.  I'll be sure to post some reds caught on these flies once the weather cooperates.

Chris

16 minutes ago, Chris_in_Louisiana said:

I made it out, but sadly the weatherman lied.  It was suppose to be a low of 50/high of 55 on the coast with negligible winds.  It was 38 F when I arrived.  Never got about 45 F, and the winds were gusting at 20 knots.  I saw one redfish all day, but was not prepared to take a shot before it spooked.  Apparently the fish still haven't come back out after 3-4 days of feezing temps.

The raggedy crab is really nice as well.  I've had a few newer tyers asking for suggestions on patterns they can tie with FTD materials that they recently purchased.  Thanks to your Christmas box, I have a few new suggestions for them.

Thank you again.  I'll be sure to post some reds caught on these flies once the weather cooperates.

Chris

I went a bit nuts with FTD last year and ended up getting pretty much everything from their inventory. And quite a few of the flies in that assortment use FTD materials in some form. If you ever need the recipe to any of them let me know.

Those leggy dubbings have been great for saltwater shrimp and crabs. I use a lot of the Pearl Web, Crystal Web, and longer dubbings (BGD-Clyde and Arctic Wind) for baitfish imitations. And  the Congo Hair is a low cost substitute for EP Fiber with some unique colors. The best part is that their prices for all of their materials are great. A new tyer can get a good assortment of different things for a small investment.

cencal, if you could get a pic of box I can ID it. Yours must have been in the last minute flurry since I don't have it listed. Recordkeeping is not my strong point but thought I did better this year but a couple of things show I still need work. If you go look through the pics of boxes and can ID yours I can say who tied it BUT the last couple of late arrivals might not be in the pics.

Nick

That was my gift box, @cencalfly.  All those patterns do really well here for me back in the East.  I sure hope those California fish find them as appealing.  

Merry Christmas from Down under!

Thank you so much Rudy C. The trout flies will travel to Tasmania with me at end of Jan.

And Chris from LA, the salty box has some amazing flies. Thank you too!

I hope there are some happy people who received my offerings this year!

I'm sorry I don't participate much any more ....

And Vicrider. Thank you for your work year in and year out.  

Thank you again!

I also just received an awfully nice package and neat box of flies from a Hank Belcher. Please come forward so I can say Thank You Sir. Greatly appreciated!

17 hours ago, fishingbobnelson said:

nice photo on the card too

Merry Christmas Bob I Hope you fish them in good health this year. I saved a few of your past cards to repurpose for my Christmas fly gifting.  

5 hours ago, cphubert said:

Merry Christmas Bob I Hope you fish them in good health this year. I saved a few of your past cards to repurpose for my Christmas fly gifting.  

Glad you liked the photo enough to use it.

On the 10th day of Christmas Nick and "Foran"(?) sent

a box of flies and goodies from the tree.