Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DWSmith

A real watch.

I was walking through Costco yesterday and got a food sample.  The young lady in charge of distributing the samples asked me if anything was on the end of the chain on my overalls bib.  I said I had a watch on it.  She had to have a look at it so I showed it to her and a guy friend of hers that was chatting with her when I walked up.  They acted blown away by it!

I carry an ~80 year old Hamilton railroad pocket watch made to be a salesman's display watch.  It's in pristine condition.

Anyone else carry a wind-up pocket watch or wrist watch?

Never have, my internal clock has always kept good time, but my Dad always kept a pocketwatch, as did my grandfather.

Surprisingly my 24 year old son has worn a wristwatch all his life.  When he graduated from college he replaced it with a wrist computer, or whatever those things are.    

I bought a Rolex Seamaster when I was returning from Germany in 1966. It lasted for many, many years and then died. I now wear an inexpensive Timex.

I have a Benrus automatic and a Marathon automatic just had the Marathon serviced the Benrus keeps great time never been serviced neither are used daily anymore.  

I have an iPhone that I keep in my pocket. That counts as a pocket watch right? I do have a watch I was given for retirement, I’ve never worn it but it’s around here somewhere. 

Years ago I wore a watch and occasionally a bit of jewelry… Over time I learned not to wear any watch, ring, or anything that could get snagged by a leader, line, or rope…. In my situation, occasionally handling fish a good bit larger than me at point blank range -it’s just not safe.

the biggest fish to date?  A roughly fourteen foot long sawfish, carefully released without removing it from the water.  No we weren’t flyfishing, and my skiff is only 17’ long…

The electronics on board my skiff provide very accurate time with just a glance.  Many years ago (early seventies) I got my first jobs working as a mate on charterboats and learned, at times the hard way, about handling big fish at the boat, with little instruction at all.  When I think about the risks I took back then my only excuse is that I was learning, and not so smart…. These days I’m a lot more careful.

I used to have an old pocket watch that was probably from around the 1920's or there about. It was real nice looking with the flip open front cover and chain and all on it and was my grandpa's. I gave it to my Nephew about 15yrs ago so that he had something that was his great grandpa's after I am gone. I still have a couple wind up wrist watches that were my Dad's and my Grandpa's but they usually stay in a box and not used. I usually just wear my cheapie battery wrist watch daily because I don't use cell phones so need a way to tell time when out & about.

I wear one of those self-winding watches but I have to give it to one of my kids every now and then to wind it up since I don't move enough to keep it wound. Actually, I did wear a watch for years but after being retired for awhile and now with the phones I've put them all away.

There's a channel on Youtube where a watchmaker rebuilds watches and televises it.  It's very interesting.  The narrator isn't a watchmaker for a living, he's a talented hobbyist..  I watch him taking down various watches, clean, and rebuilding them.  I think the channel is "Wristwatch Repair."  Although he doesn't limit his work to wristwatches; he works on all kinds of watches. He can regulate a watch so it doesn't lose or gain time.  He did a Japanese rail-road watch (Citizen's Jewelers) that was so accurate it's unreal...something like a second every 48 hours.

As part of the navigation gear on my skiff… I’ve long used a GPS… I was interested to learn that the time function in any GPS comes from satellites that are using atomic clocks so they’re nearly the most accurate around… Of course I still manage to come home later than predicted…

. In a day or two we’ll be adding my first chart plotter ( a big upgrade from the inexpensive handheld GPS units I’m used to) …as part of re-powering and re-fitting on my skiff.  I’m pretty sure the new gear will be much more capable than this operator.

I have a turnip watch my Mom gave me several decades ago.  I don't know where she got it from, but it hangs over my desk at home.  If I remember to wind it, it keeps pretty good time.

I don't wear it.  As with most replies above, since I have a phone, I don't need any other time pieces.

I wear a wristwatch all the time except while sleeping. Automatic for me.  A windup is gonna be next on the list.

I have my dad's gold Longines Automatic from 1958.  I have worn it virtually every day since he passed in 1967.  But, no, I don't wear it when fishing or on vacation.

Thanks, Bob H

I took my watch to a watch repair shop for an adjustment.  They put it on the little device and got it running more accurately.  It's been a week now and it's correct to less than a minute.

When used by railroad employees those watches used to be checked regularly by a guy with the railroad and reset if they were off.  If they weren't accurate to within +/- 30 seconds after two weeks they were sent to the shop for inspection/adjustments.  That was back nearly 80 to100 years ago if I remember my history correctly.  I'd say that's darned accurate for a mechanical pocket watch.