Fly Tying
Poopdeck

The time has come

I’ve put it off as long as I could. I have been tying with a hat magnifier for about a year now but it was not really convenient or practical for me. At times it even gave me a headache. So when I saw a table lamp magnifier light out at the curb I grabbed it. Now I’m not ordinarily a trash picker but It still had the plastic around the extensions and it was pristine. It took a few flies to get use to it but my early impression is it’s way better then the hat magnifiers.

IMG_8156.jpeg

Yep ... they say vision is the second thing to go as you get older. 

I don't remember what they said went first.   Hmmmmm.

Interesting, I was the other way around.  I tried the lamp magnifier years ago and found it got in my way and had trouble adjusting to focal length.  I switched to regular reading glasses (magnified 3x), and that seems to work for me . . . 

Regards,

I had to get readers too. I really splurged, I got a 3 pack at Lowe's for 8 bucks. 1 pair for the fly tying desk, one for the fly pack and a spare!

I tried a magnified lamp and couldn't get used to it, ended up with the Magnavision visor with my glasses. The only positive part of the lamp is I never misplaced it I keep blaming the dogs for moving things around on me.

1 hour ago, Steeldrifter said:

Don't feel bad Greg, I myself had to start using reading glasses from the dollar store for both tying and rod wrapping this year 😐

16 minutes ago, flymanaj said:

I had to get readers too. I really splurged, I got a 3 pack at Lowe's for 8 bucks. 1 pair for the fly tying desk, one for the fly pack and a spare!

I already wear bifocals so the readers wouldn’t work which is why I was using the hat magnifiers. I think the combo of my bifocals and looking through the magnifiers was giving me a headache.

25 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Yep ... they say vision is the second thing to go as you get older. 

I don't remember what they said went first.   Hmmmmm.

is it your youth? I can’t remember either.

25 minutes ago, flyflinger said:

Interesting, I was the other way around.  I tried the lamp magnifier years ago and found it got in my way and had trouble adjusting to focal length.  I switched to regular reading glasses (magnified 3x), and that seems to work for me . . . 

Regards,

I tried the magnified lamp once before as well. I didn’t like then it because  I had a depth of field problem but I think I’m already getting a handle on this. There is definitely a learning curve. So far it hasn’t been in my way but I can see where it could get in the way. 

12 minutes ago, cphubert said:

I tried a magnified lamp and couldn't get used to it, ended up with the Magnavision visor with my glasses. The only positive part of the lamp is I never misplaced it I keep blaming the dogs for moving things around on me.

I thought about the magnavision visor but just figured it would be the same as the hat magnifiers. If the magnified lamp takes a turn for the worse perhaps I’ll try the Magnavision next. 

I have glasses with bifocals, however I do all my tying without glasses on. Somehow I see closeup better without bifocals. 

10 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

a hat magnifier

I have one, I found it to be very awkward and couldn't get used to using them, I much prefer a pair of super strength readers I use solely for tying.    

Knock on wood... so far I haven't needed special glasses or magnifiers for my fly tying (maybe it's just that saltwater bugs are much bigger than freshwater stuff over all..).  But as far as rod wrapping, reel repairs,  wiring or repairing stuff on boats (always upside down and backwards.. "aren't boats fun?")  and other fine work goes - I am wearing a small bright head lamp for careful work.. and I do have a selection of jeweler's loupes for extra fine work...  I can remember my Dad saying over and over again while working on one project or other that you really had to have good lighting to be able to do a proper job.  He did a 28 year career with the Corps of Engineers and could do it all from automotive work to plumbing, to crafting furniture with joinery techniques only... My small skills by comparison are only a weak echo  of his.  Wish he were still around... 

i tried a lighted magnifier like poopdeck and all it did was get in the way. its long gone

$1.99 3.0 reading glasses help me tie flies

I use $5 reading glasses for larger flies and this head set for #14 and smaller. It's a "Vision Aid" from a company called Neat and Handy.  About $30 and includes 5 interchangeable lenses ranging from 1X to 3.5X.  I paid a little more for the USB rechargeable light because I didn't want the additional weight of batteries. The light is to weak for me so I still use a desk lamp.  Other than that they are good quality, very light weight and comfortable.  One thing I like is that I still have peripheral and normal vision without having to take them off.

Capture3.JPG.986180da134bc7c40148c237f3014fb6.JPG

Capture4.JPG.36a982258f10ec491fbfee439a6a14ca.JPG

I use 1.25 readers and have a pair of 3.0, but they don't make it easier to tie with them. I have progressive eyeglasses but don't tie with them on.  I've got a pair of magnifiers that fix on your head but I don't use them, either.  I toyed with a magnifying glass but it doesn't work for me. It was hard to focus with my hands in one visual plane and the fly on another.

18 hours ago, MuskyFlyGuy said:

I have glasses with bifocals, however I do all my tying without glasses on. Somehow I see closeup better without bifocals. 

I’m so accustomed to my bifocals that I feel blind in all directions without them. I’m good size 12 and bigger but the 14’s started giving me trouble and 16’s became next to impossible without some sort of help

11 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Knock on wood... so far I haven't needed special glasses or magnifiers for my fly tying (maybe it's just that saltwater bugs are much bigger than freshwater stuff over all..).  But as far as rod wrapping, reel repairs,  wiring or repairing stuff on boats (always upside down and backwards.. "aren't boats fun?")  and other fine work goes - I am wearing a small bright head lamp for careful work.. and I do have a selection of jeweler's loupes for extra fine work...  I can remember my Dad saying over and over again while working on one project or other that you really had to have good lighting to be able to do a proper job.  He did a 28 year career with the Corps of Engineers and could do it all from automotive work to plumbing, to crafting furniture with joinery techniques only... My small skills by comparison are only a weak echo  of his.  Wish he were still around... 

i can still tie saltwater size stuff and things like wooly buggers and other freshwater streamers without any assistance. Men like your father are a dying breed. Gone our the days of doing things yourself, almost. My kids are amazed that I had welding class in high school.

11 hours ago, DFoster said:

I use $5 reading glasses for larger flies and this head set for #14 and smaller. It's a "Vision Aid" from a company called Neat and Handy.  About $30 and includes 5 interchangeable lenses ranging from 1X to 3.5X.  I paid a little more for the USB rechargeable light because I didn't want the additional weight of batteries. The light is to weak for me so I still use a desk lamp.  Other than that they are good quality, very light weight and comfortable.  One thing I like is that I still have peripheral and normal vision without having to take them off.

looks like the magnavision. Kind of a fancy version of a hat magnifier but it might be worth a try if the lamp magnifier doesn’t work out.

11 hours ago, niveker said:

I have one, I found it to be very awkward and couldn't get used to using them, I much prefer a pair of super strength readers I use solely for tying.    

11 hours ago, flytire said:

i tried a lighted magnifier like poopdeck and all it did was get in the way. its long gone

$1.99 3.0 reading glasses help me tie flies

Don’t you find you’re constantly taking them on and off your head? 

1 hour ago, Gene L said:

It was hard to focus with my hands in one visual plane and the fly on another.

Yes, this is what I referred to as a depth of field problem, perhaps not the right terminology. This is what I experienced at first, my hand was overshooting the hook. After a couple flies I adjusted and believe it will become second nature in a few more flies.