Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

The Memory Lane Swap - FLIES SHIPPED

...the last three...were the finest fish I ever caught. They weren't the biggest or most spectacular fish I ever caught, but they were three fish I caught because my brother waded across the river to give me the fly that would catch them and because they were the last fish I ever caught fishing with him." --Norman Maclean, "A River Runs Through It" 

This one will be a little different...not too different, I hope; just enough to give it a little bit of added interest. :) Here's the deal: you tie up a pattern that is especially meaningful to you for whatever reason - it could be the first fly you ever tied, the fly you caught your first/biggest/prettiest/most exotic, etc. fish on, a fly given to you or that you were taught to tie by someone special to you, the last fly you ever fished with someone special...you get the idea. A fly with a story that is personal to you. Then--here comes the different part--you type up the story and send it along with your flies to me, the SM. Once I've sent everyone their fly sets back, I will post pics of each fly along with its story on the Swaps page for everyone to read and enjoy. 

Standard swap rules - toe tags with the name of the pattern and screen name of the tyer (attached to the flies, not just loose in the package, please and thank you), flies enclosed in a crush-proof container with enough room for the flies coming back to you (remember that some of the flies coming back may be larger than yours; a little extra space wouldn't go amiss), a self-addressed envelope for return shipping, and return postage either included in the package, or remitted directly to me (preferably via Paypal or Venmo; I have both, PM for details). 

I'd like a minimum of 6 tyers; max. of 12 (not including SM). Tentative due date November 4.

So what do we think -- anyone game?  I'll open the bidding...

Bryon Anderson (SM) - Mickey Finn

1. psychoprince - TBD - RECEIVED

2. Woodenlegs - San Juan Worm, Colorado Brown - RECEIVED

3. cphubert - TBD - Sal's Favorite Fly - RECEIVED

4. trouttramp - 3 wire PT nymph - RECEIVED

5. stabgnid - TBD - RECEIVED

6. fishingbobnelson - Gray Hackle Yellow dry fly - RECEIVED 

7. RickZeiger - Tony Spezio pattern - RECEIVED

8. jvmills - RECEIVED

9. vicrider - classic bluegill pattern - RECEIVED

10. DarrellP - Carey Special - RECEIVED

I’m in San Juan Worm Colorado Brown

on the Conejos River

IMG_4374.jpeg

Edited by Woodenlegs
Show the Fish

I’ll have a go. 

A 3 wire  Pt nymph on a jig style hook  by John Schepp

I had the best day of of my life fishing on the Henry's fork, followed by two amazing days on the Firehole and Madison using mostly this fly as a dropper. 

John sent me some of these flys as a gift for being a swap host. I put them in my nymph box, and didn’t give them much thought other than I admired how well they were tied. 

At the start of the float on the Henery’s fork my guide looked through my fly boxes and picked out one of John’s 3 wire pt nymphs.  That fly was the magic bullet that day, all day. It hooked dozens of fish including some large browns and a couple of fatty rainbows. A lot of boats were on the river that day, we were the only boat constantly hooking fish. At the end of the day, my arms were tired from fighting fish. It was one of those special days, a VERY special day.

The following two days I fished the Firehole and Madison in the YNP on my own and had very productive days.

I give all the credit to John’s fly, the 3 wire Pt nymph. 

All right guys, we have the minimum 6 (+SM) tyers - this swap is officially a go! I will leave registration open for a few more days in hopes of filling the remaining 6 slots.