Fly Tying
Fish For Life

what you use to carry your gear

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

my back pocket :) i have a small fly box on one side is my clousers and my other bass/ pickeral flies on the other side is my wooley boogers and other smaller flies for blue gill and crappie :) keep it simple

I use an 18 wheeler to get everything out there. Then I just like plain cargo shorts and a lanyard. Pistol goes in a belly band for bears or red necks.

Chest pack or just the pocket in my waders when I wade or kayak fish. Fish mostly from a jet boat and have found the

best thing in the world for organization is clear plastic shoe boxes with tops that latch on. 2 bucks a piece, they fit underdeck

and float well if you leave the top latched.

I use a vest most of the time when I know where I'm fishing and I'm fishing seriously. When I'm going to being hiking a bit and not spending alot of time on specific water I use a back pack. When I'm lazy and I just want to put a few casts down the back pockets works fine.

Surely a gentleman keeps his fly box and spare gut in the pockets of his tweed jacket while fishing. ;)

Joking apart if you have things like a back pack and waste pack for "other uses" try them before spending your hard earned on dedicated tackle. They may not be ideal but will give you an idea of the kind of system you want.

Also look at what you carry. Divide it into sections, Most used, less used, least used If your least used section has most in it then favour a backpack type set up. The things you use most often, in my case floatant and sinkant, need to be easily accessable. Least used, hopefully my emergency kit, goes in the bottom of my backpack, along with food drink and waterproofs. (And in some cases an outboard motor).

A Backpack is my best option as it is often a long, rough hike in to the lochs here. Its a very personal choise, you are trying to find something that works for you in the situations that you fish in. My set up will almost certainly not suit you. It often doesn't suit me! Thats why I have 4 or 5 varying items I can mix and match for where I'm going, and what I'm doing.

Cheers,

C.

Sling bag for me. Just started fly fishing but I'm not a gear hoarder any way. I use an old army demo bag. Travel light freeze at night.

I have a bag and a vest. But this season my boxes have had a change around and I hope to just take one fly box depending on species being chased and then just leader, tippet, forceps and floatent sit in the pockets.

I spent the last hour looking at different sling packs and came across this thread. Lately I've been using my Disse Gear Captus Bag. I'm able to fit 2-3 fly boxes, camera, a water bottle in one of the side pockets, leader material and other small things. I noticed I've been putting it down often so I picked up a Mountain River Guide Lanyard which I'm waiting to get in and try out. I think I'll like it for my quick last minute trips but I've also been looking at the different sling packs. I think I'm between the Orvis Safe Passage, Patagonia Atom Bag or the Vedavoo Tightlines Sling Pack.

in my kayak, my fishing PFD has some big front pockets which carry my pliers, nippers and whistle on a reel, small camera, and small miscellaneous stuff. All my other stuff is in bags/boxes in my crate in the tankwell or in the hatch amidships. Least used stuff is in the bow hatch (survival gear, powered-off phone, extra clothes in a dry bag).

When wading, I wear a vest from Cabela's but I find I'm using it less and less. Often I just use an old beat up one-compartment waiste pack. It's not ideal, no organization, but I can fit everything I want in it. I don't understand the lanyard thing.... the only tools I generally use are small pliers and nippers. I have a thermometer which is nice to have but not required. I don't like a big gaggle of junk hanging around my neck.

I use the new Camelback to take my gear if am wading. Used to have a slingpack but they were just not good at all for left handers

I have at least one of everything but continually just throw everything in the backpack.