Fly Tying
ChromeAddict

Head cement deterring fish?

I'm so convinced the answer is no that I would never read an article that had a title suggesting otherwise.

And that, boys and girls, is what's wrong with the American political system.
How, or why, do you twist this into a political comment? I compare decades of real life personal fishing experience to a topic and you exstrapelate it into politics. I added what I would do not what you would do or what I prefer you to do or think. Your free to read what you want and think what you want. your even free to be unaccepting of the opposite position but to spin it into an unreasonable position on world order is mystifying. You must be a democrat.

"I'm so convinced that my way is right that I refuse to even acknowledge any information that may disagree with my opinion."

It was meant to be a joke, but I guess I touched a nerve. That being said, since you have no idea whether or not you may have caught more fish had you not used head cement, your methodology, and by extension any conclusion you may draw from it, are all fundamentally flawed. To base your opinion on personal experience is one thing, to refuse to accept anything that disagrees with your personal experience is the definition of narrow-mindedness.

...for the record: I'm registered independent. ^_^

So my life experiences are meaningless and contribute to my narrow-mindedness. That's a hoot. You are a funny guy.

Comparing carp to salmom or bass is like comparing a cow to a dog. Different species with different prey finding methods. I am not sure what crosses over, but for instance, catfish often hunt by smell and bass react to sight and movement. But that doesn't explain why I keep catching catfish on Bream flies. I think glue will put off some species some times. Who knows? If we knew, we wouldn't be debating this. Fishing sucess depends on light, water turbidity, smell, thermocline, barometric pressure, lure color, sonolunar tables, water temp, movement, noise, prey availability and my lucky fishing cap.

Years ago I went to double whipping my flies and forgoing head cement almost entirely, primarily because it was faster and every bit as strong. Just by doing that it took the smell question out of the picture. The other place where head cement is often used is tying down hard hair fibers such as calf tail or squirrel tail. Gary LaFontaine showed me a neat little trick to eleminate the need for glue of any sort. Tie down the tail hair with 3 or 4 turns then take one turn of thread around just the tail hair and then 3 or 4 more turns around the hair and shank. It will not pull out. You can pull on the hair and usually straighten the hook out if you like.

I don't use head cement unless I want a shiny coating on the head like a streamer. I use a 5 turn whip finish to lock the thread.

Ditto

If trout aren't taking your fly, it isn't the head cement. Is your casting more like you are whipping the third horse trying to over take the second horse at the Belmont Stakes than Skues delicately casting to the evening hatch on the chalk? Does your fly hit the water like a bait fisherman in the throes of an epileptic seizure? Do you mend you line? Is your fly out of the trees long enough for the trout to catch a fleeting glimpse when you try to mend your line?

Trust me it isn't the head cement.

Years ago I went to double whipping my flies and forgoing head cement almost entirely, primarily because it was faster and every bit as strong. Just by doing that it took the smell question out of the picture. The other place where head cement is often used is tying down hard hair fibers such as calf tail or squirrel tail. Gary LaFontaine showed me a neat little trick to eleminate the need for glue of any sort. Tie down the tail hair with 3 or 4 turns then take one turn of thread around just the tail hair and then 3 or 4 more turns around the hair and shank. It will not pull out. You can pull on the hair and usually straighten the hook out if you like.

Try that with a heavily dressed bucktail on a rather large hook. Your method works fine for small flies, but not so well for big flies with a lot of material- which end up with a comparatively large head diameter compared to small flies. The way I make bomb-proof bucktails (I tie a LOT of them) with 6/0 thread to keep the heads as small as I can, is to put a little head cement on the butt ends of the hair before tying it in. Wrapping from the rear forward in touching wraps squeezes all excess cement out and makes for solid construction.

Carp. We're talking about carp. Aren't we?

yes, unfortunately.

Bucktails is one place I tend to use head cement on. It's practical plus I like the look. Also inside my Muddlers, at each tie in of material I tend to use a small drop of head cement or even super glue. I use natural red squirrel or dyed yellow calfs tail in my Muddlers and of course deer hair and turkey etc. A lot of material build up in a Muddler and some are slippery and can be tied over another slippery material ( bare hook shank or tinsel sometimes or turkey quill against a slippery hair material etc...). Course there are ways of locking materials in the tie too, especially the quills. Glue is just another way. Still no matter what you do, Muddlers eventually end up destroyed from toothy fish like salmon, usually starting with a quill breaking off one side of a tail or even side of the body.

un sented materials really only refer to what humans can smell in my opinion. animals have way better sence of smell so its possible to a small degree the scent would put them off.

I add one drop and one drop only of anchovy can oil to my bottle of head cement. Sort of like using gun oil for aftershave. It's just part of the ritual.

I don't think the smell matters to a large enough degree with trout to practically matter. Lots of guys take anecdotal evidence and superstition very seriously, which is a bit silly nowadays.

It's sort of like the deer hunting crowd that wouldn't consider sitting in a deer stand without scent-be-gone spray being used. In a tiny portion of circumstances scent is the deciding factor, but in a huge portion of circumstances it's movement, noise, using the wind properly, etc. Same with fishing - proper presentation, lack of unnatural noise, etc are the important things, and the slight lingering odor of head cement would be so far down the list as to not even warrant real consideration unless one was a total expert in all the other areas, which none of us are.

Insofar as politics... I find it 20% amusing/80% sad that anyone still takes that scripted crap for anything other than sociopaths jockeying for control of all the rest of us tax livestock... Just say no.

In the 70's (perhaps in the 50s even) steelheaders on the West Coast would never pump gasoline on their way to the river if they want to catch anything. I think there is more to it than just an old wive's tale.

My bass fishing buddy and I use to fight over who was going to gas the boat and truck up all the time, I usually lost cause it was his boat and truck. Had lots of bad days fishing the same baits,same line ect. I would wash my hands in soap and water,fish attractant and bank mud and it didn't seem to matter. Days I didn't gas up I would usually out fish him.

ever think about wearing rubber gloves to do the gassing?