Fly Tying
deerhairdan

YouTube Tutorials

I know what you mean deerhair. People are putting up insufferable super simple videos just because they want hits on their site. No other reason. I don't really mind though because it only takes me a few seconds to close it if I get that I'm not gonna like it feeling. Here's some things I really hate about tying videos:

1). Music with the material flashed briefly in front of the camera

2). I don't care about uncle Ted or grand pop. Tie the fly and talk about the fly.

3). No material list

4). Children tying flies. The one case where children should not be seen or heard.

5). Pitching a $500.00 vise and a $50.00 bobbin. Does anybody really care about the tools being used?

6). So basic that I believe the maker believes me to be an idiot.

As I read this it seems I went on a bit of a rant as well.

Just a thought here.....possibly a rant....

There are at least 3 dozen wooly bugger and clouser minnow tutorials online as I type this

yep, and probably 35 of them wrong.

You can't tie a Woolybugger wrong.

??

I know what you mean deerhair. People are putting up insufferable super simple videos just because they want hits on their site. No other reason. I don't really mind though because it only takes me a few seconds to close it if I get that I'm not gonna like it feeling. Here's some things I really hate about tying videos:

1). Music with the material flashed briefly in front of the camera

2). I don't care about uncle Ted or grand pop. Tie the fly and talk about the fly.

3). No material list

4). Children tying flies. The one case where children should not be seen or heard.

5). Pitching a $500.00 vise and a $50.00 bobbin. Does anybody really care about the tools being used?

6). So basic that I believe the maker believes me to be an idiot.

As I read this it seems I went on a bit of a rant as well.

Yep, music during the instructional videos is distracting alright,. So is a coffee mug that never gets a sip taken out of it while some guy rambles on for 15 minutes caressing the foolish thing ( it's probably empty anyway), even if the tying is good when he gets around to it.. And maybe someone else likes it that way.

Yep, music during the instructional videos is distracting alright,. So is a coffee mug that never gets a sip taken out of it while some guy rambles on for 15 minutes caressing the foolish thing ( it's probably empty anyway), even if the tying is good when he gets around to it..

like_zpsj1muco6s.jpg

You Tube in my opinion is like cable television if you don't like the channel then switch it.

So you guys don't like music at all? Like none what so ever? yet you say you also don't like someone talking while tying. So do you want long, boring silent pauses after the person describes what they are going to do? Or do you mean you just don't like it when it's only music and no talking?

I find that the videos that have no music whatsoever seem to do terrible and never get views... However the ones that are only music and no talking also do bad. I seem to think that well made vids that have some (very soft) background music, that isn't intrusive, seem to do the best on likes, shares, and views. I could be wrong though.

Yep, music during the instructional videos is distracting alright,. So is a coffee mug that never gets a sip taken out of it while some guy rambles on for 15 minutes caressing the foolish thing ( it's probably empty anyway), even if the tying is good when he gets around to it.. And maybe someone else likes it that way.

Actually, I was lucky enough to get one of those computers on it that has a way to control the sound so I can turn it up, down or off as I feel.

As for what we all like or don't like it kind of reminds me of the Olympics coverage. My wife and I will watch some parts of it and I enjoy the depth of competition and what it took for them to get there. Then they'll go to a 10 minute cut of this top athlete walking around the mountain home he grew up and giving big background shots of him/her growing up. I hate this and think it is a great waste of time. My wife thinks this is the best part of the Olympic coverage. DOH So maybe there are some who can actually sit through 15 minutes of coffee cup love just to see how he ties a fly. If I really want to watch him tie the fly I fortunately got on of those computers that has a way for me jump ahead so I'm okay with that.

Just a thought here.....possibly a rant....

How many tutorials does the world need of basic fly patterns? It seems as if every time I log-in to see what is new on youtube...and see what youtube "recommends" I watch....its the same thing over and over again. There are at least 3 dozen wooly bugger and clouser minnow tutorials online as I type this. Is it just me, or does this seem kind of ridiculous and redundant? Its quite obvious some folks are doing it to get attention.....at least get creative and tie your own pattern...or something that isnt EVERYWHERE on the internet already.

Rant over. Hate me.

I think you should do a video ... telling everyone else on YouTube how useless their videos are.

Tell them all that they should look on YouTube first, to make sure there aren't ANY videos about the subject they want to make a video of.

Then tell them that they need to do a survey of their target audience, asking what they want or don't want on their final version.

Then they should get professional equipment and make only theater quality videos.

Oh wait ... it's YOUTUBE !!! It's always been about people putting whatever they feel is important on ... or funny ... or just something they make.

Personally, I like the vast number of selections I find for anything I am looking for.

If I wanted just one viewpoint ... I'd subscribe to some repetitive single person website where every video is basically the same, just a different fly at the end.

I actually enjoy the sped up videos with music, and materials flashed in front of the camera. I find them quick and to the point. To each his own I guess.

Thanks for mentioning Hackles&Wings flytire! Nice informative videos & flies! Also good to see another Europea 12 video cos' there are only a few!

Talk is good but talk about the fly. The history, who made it, how to fish it, variations of the fly and the materials used. I like quick as well. If I see a video about tying a bugger and it's 12 minutes in length I'm not watching for even a second. YouTube is great for starting out but Anymore I watch less and less tying videos. There simply isn't anything ground breaking, revolutionary, or game changing in tying flies. Now that I have some flies under my belt all I need is a picture and material list. It's nice a quick.

So you guys don't like music at all? Like none what so ever? yet you say you also don't like someone talking while tying. So do you want long, boring silent pauses after the person describes what they are going to do? Or do you mean you just don't like it when it's only music and no talking?

I find that the videos that have no music whatsoever seem to do terrible and never get views... However the ones that are only music and no talking also do bad. I seem to think that well made vids that have some (very soft) background music, that isn't intrusive, seem to do the best on likes, shares, and views. I could be wrong though.

Faded banjo in and out will not help a zebra midge reach the million view mark...

Faded banjo in and out will not help a zebra midge reach the million view mark...

I don't think there are any fly tying videos with a million views. But the ones with no music, or no talking (music videos) generally get under 5k views for entire years or longer. But again, just my observation and I could be wrong.

I get a decent amount of views especially since my channel has only been up for 7 or so months. But I'll be the first to admit it's probably not because I tie he best flies in the world. Personally I think it's cause I put effort into the videos. I edit them, put some music, make them quick and to the point. Dont get me wrong, I tie decent flies, but I'm no where near as good as Davey M. Or any of the other guys that have been doing this for multiple decades. Heck I'm only 33 years old, I cannot clams to be as good as these other guys that have been doing it longer than I've been alive. I'm quite sure I would stop getting as many views if I stopped putting as much effort into making the vodeos. No it's not just banjo fading in and out, or the fact that my videos are short, or the fact that I keep the fly in focus, or the fact that I am close up on the fly with a plain background, maybe it's just the fact that the videos are decent quality in a whole. It's all those put together and more?

McFly, the light music during an intro is decent. I tend to like how Davie McPhail presents his, FWIW. But as others have said, to each their own. I'm sure there are people who like the music or even the coffee mug I mentioned etc etc. If asked what I don't care for, I mentioned it above but I never said I won't watch them, lower music , shut off sound, fast forward a bunch of useless gab etc. I didn't say any of that, what I said is I don't care for those things. A guy making a video ( and yours have certainly improved, I've even linked people to some of yours) can not please everyone, it's impossible.

I'd say that my favorites are Davie Mc Phail, I also like how the guy from Orvis presents their videos. He narrates what is happening as someone known ties, or else over dubs. What ever, the video quality is good , even high and the voice informative. If I want music I can put on my own piano music that I like or what ever. I'm not into banjo, nor ukulele . I'm not sure why either instrument was invented quite honestly.

McFly, the light music during an intro is decent. I tend to like how Davie McPhail presents his, FWIW. But as others have said, to each their own. I'm sure there are people who like the music or even the coffee mug I mentioned etc etc. If asked what I don't care for, I mentioned it above but I never said I won't watch them, lower music , shut off sound, fast forward a bunch of useless gab etc. I didn't say any of that, what I said is I don't care for those things. A guy making a video ( and yours have certainly improved, I've even linked people to some of yours) can not please everyone, it's impossible.

Yes I know you weren't commenting against mine, I wasn't replying to your comments. I agree to each his own. I personally love Davey's vids myself. I watch them constantly. He is an excellent tier and makes some awesome flies. I personally though won't get any views if I make them like him. My voice isn't interesting enough, and I am not as soft spoken or calm as him. I need to make my vids more interesting with music and jump cuts. That's all I meant. I wasn't offended by anything you said, don't worry.