Fly Tying
Li'lDave

Tail wrapping

Guys and girls.

Intrerested in the techniques you use to stop tail wrapping on your streamer flies.

Thanks in advance.

One technique that I've used with zonker (rabbit) strip tails is to apply a very small bead of CA glue to the skin side of the strip, just a tiny drop immediately behind the hook bend. This makes that part of the strip stiffen just enough that the rest of the tail won't foul around the hook.

Other techniques that I've heard of but have not used include tying in either a small bunch of stiff bucktail (or similar) hair or a small loop of stiff monofilament off the bend of the hook -- this supposedly "props up" the tail and keeps it from fouling.

I do 1 or 2 wraps around the tail between the hook and material. This holds it up ever so slightly off the hook and is easier to set back in place after catching a fish.

hook-mono-loop-mangrove-coast-fly-fishin

Ditto on this method. It works well for me, too, and it's simple to apply to the hook.

X2

IMO the right hook makes a difference.

Hooks like the aberdeens are harder to foul because the bend drops down sharply from the tail's tie in point.

Other hooks have a gentle shallow slope that extends back and puts the bend far beyond the tie in point.

This is just my observation. I would like to know if others have similar experiences.

post-52874-0-77735500-1486689834_thumb.png

I've used all of the above and they all work. It depends on the material that is fouling though. For rabbit I have always preferred the buck tail method as it adds underbody to the profile of the tail. Just personal preference. The mono loop shown above also works well for this but not for other materials like sili legs as these would just flip around the bend under the loop. Honestly I haven't found a method of keeping sili leg and similar type tails from fouling that I like yet, especially for longer tails that can be really effective when not fouled.

I don't know why it's called but wrapping thread around the tail about a 1/8 tp1/4 inch or what flytire showed.

Guys and girls.

Intrerested in the techniques you use to stop tail wrapping on your streamer flies.

Thanks in advance.

with what materials are you having issues?

Like a few noted above, I like a sparse amount of bucktail under soft tailing materials it will support rabbit strip, maribou -just fine - and almost completely prevent those soft materials from wrapping around the hook when wet... My usual routine is to tie in the bucktail just very slightly forward of the bend then allow it to flair out a bit - then a bit of flash on top (usually Flashabou in pearl, with staggered ends), then the rabbit strip or maribou on top of that... I don't like to use mono loops at all and will avoid them if possible... the bucktail just plain works better and actually blends in with the softer materials on top.... The first set of photos attached are the Swamp Rabbit (one of the patterns that I had a contract for with Umpqua until a year or two ago), the next pics are of a bendback pattern for reds and other fish in very shallow waters using a heavy maribou wing over that same sparse bucktail...

post-30940-0-85163500-1486742476_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-28623300-1486742505_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-17867300-1486742533_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-02109100-1486742556_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-87200300-1486742571_thumb.jpg

Guys and girls.

Thanks in advance.

with what materials are you having issues?

Hey mate.

Ive been tying with slinky fibre and sparkle flash. Flashy baitfish patterns based on the gold bomber.

They come out of the vice well, however there is a concern that they may wrap on the cast.

Looking at some of the advise i have been thinking about a high tie, but i think that might change the shape.