Fly Tying

I'm a rookie, but I'm going to say a wooly bugger in a copper brown color. Tied a few up last year and seemed to have good luck on them. But yeah, the idea of only one fly makes me cringe. Lol

I'm a rookie, but I'm going to say a wooly bugger in a copper brown color. Tied a few up last year and seemed to have good luck on them. But yeah, the idea of only one fly makes me cringe. Lol

I carry three colors of woolly buggers in my box and that's one of the colors. The pattern I use is called the Chili Pepper. I didn't tie this one. The hardest part is finding the right color marabou for the tail.

post-309-0-65688700-1548951331_thumb.jpg

The other colors are all white and white with a yellow hackle and a yellow marabou tail

Now since the question is not "What do you prefer to fish" but one fly we'd pick for most of our personal fishing if we had to...I'd begrudgingly pick the wooly bugger. Never the first thing I tie but at times it's the last.

Yep, I agree with both the choice and the "begrudgingly". I've noticed that as a fly tier, I want to tie fun, interesting, sexy flies. I've never found the wooly bugger to be any of those, but it sure catches fish and probably works more often than any other single fly. But then I'm not as good at fishing as tying, so maybe that's my lack of skill talking.

My choice would be a fly I came up with of spun deer hair, red wool tail (other colors never seemed to work) and a dry hackle. I sure I'm not the first to tie it but have never seen it. Hair trimmed flat underneath and the rest cigar shape (sort of). My original idea was a dry however I found that by going beyond the intended drift and let the fly swing at the end I would get a lot of strikes at the beginning of the swing and at the end.

Year is a long time, but all of us should for the next three months just fish with that "one fly" and set a date to report back here with the results. Like a contest to see who made the best choice for their beat. At least one picture of the fly and a nice catch.

I've already got several years using my fly. Not exclusively ... but 80 to 90% of my time on the water.

For the next 6-8 weeks, the only fly I will use is a snow shovel.

I've given up on the snow shovel, you only get flaky fish that way.

This brim bug, known by other names as well, tied on a size 12 2xl will allow me to fish for any panfish and most spring creek trout, but boy would I hate to have to chase smallies with the thing, which is my passion. Can we have two flies, please, pretty please ?

47143113341_49c98e191a_z.jpgss by robow 77