Fly Tying

Coronavirus?

Whats ereybody doing? Extra face protection and lotta hand washing? Crying over your 401Ks getting hammered?

Had a guy on the duck page buy all the hand sanitizers $1 at all the DollarTrees for 40 miles around and is selling them on EBay $12ea. Crazy. I sold all my equities waiting for a bottom to catch the sales getting back in. I like good stocks that pay 8-10% dividends.... Easiest money youll ever make in the stock market and best place to loose some if you aint careful. Sportsfans.

I prolly going take flack over this attitude but lot more deaths around comparatively with no concern at all...

Nothing wrong with being cautious, but personally I think the media as well as others blows all this out of proportion. We saw the same thing with swine flu, bird flu, H1N1, SARS, Ebola and a host of other illnesses where they made it sound like it was the end of the world as we know it, yet nothing much came of them. I'm certainly not gonna go around licking doorknobs, but I also don't see any need to change anything in my life with the way things currently are here in the states.

Haha, licking doorknobs. That's an image to conjure.

As Steve says, the flu is currently killing 6 times the people covid19 is but no one panics.

If everyone starts to wash their hands a bit more and stop spitting on the floor general health would improve anyway.

I work for a global IT company that is owned by a larger, foreign IT company and they sent every location a lot of pump gallons of hand sanitizer about 2 weeks ago. There have been travel bans in effect for multiple countries. We get devices from all over the US and Canada and its all overnight shipping both ways so I've been wiping stuff down with alcohol since this could live on a surface for a few days. More a precaution and piece of mind for me, basically. Other than that just washing my hands more.

I gave up licking door knobs for lent not because of coronavirus. I'm doing nothing because of coronavirus and could not care any less about it. I don't even care how much my 401K took a hit. It's taken many hits and worse hits over the last 35 years and I have no plans of spending it anytime soon. It's always sunny in Poopdeckville.

I'm pretty much with those who don't have a lot of concern but a big part of that is I live in the county seat of a county that has a whole lot more cows than people. With our 800 person city of Cheyenne in a county without a single stop light I just don't see any Chinese or Italian airliners landing in our cow pasture airport. NOW, if I lived in a concrete jungle where people are bouncing off each other walking down sidewalks filled side to side with millions of the great unwashed society. Living elbow to elbow and stacked up hundreds of stories in high rises with air re-circulation systems and inner city ghettoes and illegals coming and going from them from all the 3rd world countries, damn right I'd be worried. I could not live like the masses of people actually do and moved from a small suburban town to a smaller country town and only wish I could afford a couple of hundred acres and build a cabin right in the middle next to the stream running into my pond..

By the way, I don't hate people like my cyber buddy Mike Chell does but I just don't like them in contact with me unless it's visitors at my house or friends at the local bar/pool hall. Oh yeah, I guess I don't hate any individuals in a crowd, just hate the entire concept of a crowd.

Thanks for the reference. wink.png

I'm staying out of this conversation on this site. It's going on in another site I frequent, and my views are ... less than human friendly. I'll just say I think it's much ado about nothing ... since coronavirus, in one form or another, affects most people during their lifetimes. This one just sprang up, but it'll be quelled long before it can cleanse cause major population reductions.

mikechell...LOL...

I really don't think civilized countries with running water, soap, reasonable garbage handling, and rivers not polluted in comparison to what many 3rd world countries have to drink and bathe in. What I would be concerned is the hundreds of thousands of refugees concentrated into tent villages with virtually no clean water or sanitation available. Thanks to continuous civil wars going on in many of those countries forcing people to collect in those camps to avoid the continuous shelling and rockets they are an incubator made for a fast traveling human contact Captain Trip to decimate. With the health of so many of those people already having one foot in the grave it won't take much to push them the rest of the way. We have some serious tent city homeless in this country and in the same way that is where the contagions can flourish.

I think it will be a pandemic. It will likely "only" kill 1% or so of "healthy" people. It is more lethal than flu by around 20x. It is in community spread mode. Mostly, it kills old people with other health problems. Men more than women. We may be trouble, guys. Hahaha

Conspiracy time: no way the Chinese didn't know about this virus before it spread. Things moved too quickly. I personally think it is a lab escape.

Fortunately it is not nearly as virulent as the 1917 flu. We are going to see more of this type of thing in the future. Too much crowding, pollution and international travel. However, the human race will survive.

Not very reassuring that all we can do is wash our hands. At least we have mostly clean water and soap.

I'm also not getting too concerned about it and don't pay much attention to the media anyway. They've proven that they can't be trusted.

We all have an expiration date. The question isn't as much when, as how. If a virus is going to be my ending, then I guess there's not much that I can do about it.

I have no plans to travel to China. I'm not making any special effort to prevent getting it, other than what I already do.

From what I have read, those who have perished from it here already have been older folks with serious health issues.

That's the folks that die from the "normal" flu viruses. It's going to take a tragic toll, but to what extent remains to be determined. All we can do is wait & see.

The way I look at it is like this. As a recovering alcoholic whom survived years of downing bottle after bottle of vodka, and even everclear moonshine which didn't kill me....I'm not about to be taken out by a virus named after a shitty Mexican beer biggrin.png laugh.png