Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Landon P

Homemade tools for cheap

I made a hackle gauge pretty cheap. I used a small piece of wood and printed the gauge out. Glued it to the wood, covered that in box tape, and put a finishing nail to wrap around.  Works really well when i actually use it. 

Edit.. I actually found the image I used. I just cut the hackle part out since its all i needed.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/2012/12/dubois-hackle-gauge.html

i made several furling tools  basically a thin dowel rod with an alligator clip on the end.  it easy to furl material as it can roll easily in your fingers    rich mc

57 minutes ago, Landon P said:

Does anyone have any tools they made for cheap? Im getting bored and need something to do 😆

Try searching DIY tools on this forum,  many moons back there were threads running with an amazing assortment of gear

diy, cheap, bored, right up my alley. I've made vises from vise grips and forceps, whip finishers, hair packers, vise bases, a furling machine, a brush maker, bodkins, fishing lanyards, plugs, jigs, hand rod wrapper, wire clamp tools, axles, various brackets, anchors, anchor cradles, motor stands and I'm sure a few other things I can't think of. And yes everything works great, and dare I say, as well as anything you can buy. 

51 minutes ago, Landon P said:

Thank you i found others very similar to mine. Sorry for the clutter.

You don't have to apologize, were here for you buddy.

Black and red plunger-type electrical tester leads from Radio Shack.  I use them for hackling sometimes but more often than not to hold small flies while I tie them onto tippet.

I made 138793208_tyingtools003.jpg.8d51ffd638b5c97d28aa303242090c69.jpgthis tool holder out of scrap mahogany a few years ago.  It's mounted on a lazy susan turret so you can easily rotate it. 

1 hour ago, dave said:

I made this tool holder out of scrap mahogany a few years ago.  It's mounted on a lazy susan turret so you can easily rotate it. 

Haa - I've had one of those lazy susan bases hanging above my workbench for at least 15 years.  Now I know what I've been saving it for!

With the Cub Scouts I tied up some whip finish tools.  All it took was some 2 lb. monofilament, toothpicks, some tying thread (or just simple sewing thread and some nail polish (you could use head cement).  I wrapped the mon around the top long edge of the toothpick box and then cut on each side.  Place in pliers or needle nose and touch each end with a flame, blow out when a small bead forms.  Fold mono in half and tie onto end of toothpick (the beads help keep the mono from slipping).  Finish with nail polish.  To use lay on top of the head of the finished fly and wrap 3-4 times over the mono loop, stick line through loop (I stick the end of the bobbin through, holding tension, cut the tying thread and pull the toothpick and the tying line will be pulled under the 3-4 ties and you have a whip finish.  I could tie up a hundred for only a couple bucks and a couple hours work.