Fly Tying
vicrider

Covid be damned...We're doing Christmas Swap

Boxes got here Tuesday. Really looking forward to opening them on Christmas morning. Thanks to all for joining and making this a great swap. A special thanks to Nick for hosting every year. 

Got mine a few days ago and it’s under the tree. It may be the main thing I have to unwrap this year. My wife helped me pay for an amateur radio antenna about September because I had some guys coming to help me put it up, so Santa came early. But 1 of the guys ended up in the hospital and rehab and the antenna is still in a box out in the workshop. So, there won’t be much under he tree this year but Secret Swap Santa. But I am blessed. There are so many things to be grateful for. Hope you guys have a great Christmas.

BB

BB, I was going to send this as a message but your mailbox must be full since I got "can't receive messages" when I tried to send.

Randall, are you into Ham radio? I was for years but cell phones and leaving my antennas behind I've not been active for years now. N-Zero-GYM was my General license and for awhile I was even into Morse Code. Kind of wondering when you mentioned you were putting up an antenna. What you putting up? I got by with a simple di-pole and a converted CB antenna and a good tuner. I helped my Dad put up a 40' tower up on the hill where he lived in northern WI and he was a big part of why I kept my license active. After he passed I kind of faded out of the group chats and moved a couple of times and never got back into it.

Nick

N0GYM de N4LCV. Extra Class here back in the days when CW was required. I hope to one day put up an End Fed Half Wave for 80M and down. I’ve lived here 2 1/2 years and, so far, all I’ve got up is a 2 meter vertical on a 10 foot ground-mounted pole. I’ve trying to get on DMR which is a new digital mode, but my progress there is at a snail’s pace. COVID has everything shut down so I haven’t joined a club yet. There is at least 1 Ham in the Church we attend but he comes to the early service and we go to the late service. I’ve met him once, but it’s mostly emails. I hope to eventually put up my Hi-Gain 620 Vertical. Wish you were still on the air. We could try for a QSO at some point.

N4LCV - (BB)

Oh yes, Meant to mention that a friend downstate killed a Wood Duck this past Saturday, so I’m watching the mail for a bag full of feathers. I’m going to learn to tie wings even if it kills me.

BB

3 hours ago, breambuster said:

N0GYM de N4LCV. Extra Class here back in the days when CW was required. I hope to one day put up an End Fed Half Wave for 80M and down. I’ve lived here 2 1/2 years and, so far, all I’ve got up is a 2 meter vertical on a 10 foot ground-mounted pole. I’ve trying to get on DMR which is a new digital mode, but my progress there is at a snail’s pace. COVID has everything shut down so I haven’t joined a club yet. There is at least 1 Ham in the Church we attend but he comes to the early service and we go to the late service. I’ve met him once, but it’s mostly emails. I hope to eventually put up my Hi-Gain 620 Vertical. Wish you were still on the air. We could try for a QSO at some point.

N4LCV - (BB)

Oh yes, Meant to mention that a friend downstate killed a Wood Duck this past Saturday, so I’m watching the mail for a bag full of feathers. I’m going to learn to tie wings even if it kills me.

BB

If that fails you can always try flying on one wing my friend!  Happy Holidays and a Merry Christmas to you and yours!  And may we ALL have a safe and sane 2021!

Kim

We are opening presents today as we both have to work tomorrow. I got Sumner's set. Nice flies! Makes me want to start doing more with deer hair stacking for heads.

20201224_074024.jpg

2 hours ago, dogfacedoc said:

We are opening presents today as we both have to work tomorrow. I got Sumner's set. Nice flies! Makes me want to start doing more with deer hair stacking for heads.

20201224_074024.jpg

I got yours Doc! Now you've got me wanting to order a bunch of bucktails and try out big deceiver flies... great swap buddy!

1 minute ago, smclain said:

I got yours Doc! Now you've got me wanting to order a bunch of bucktails and try out big deceiver flies... great swap buddy!

I see you said "Southern Arkansas" in your note. Ever make your way up to the White or over to Lower Mountain Fork?

Opened mine tonight. Cool set of assorted flies from one of the best on the board Flytire. Great mixture for any stream. I also had a small package to unwrap that for some reason caused my wife and company a great laugh. There are some of you out there who had a little bonus box maybe 3"x3" with your main gift. This was some little packaging sent by WWKimba. I put a half dozen or so flies from him, Stabgnid, and others who sent extra. I had 5 of those wrapped up and randomly tossed into packages. After all were sent out I still had one of those small ones wrapped so I put it under the tree with Flytire's gift. When I opened it I said, "Hey, cool little set of streamers". My wife asked if I hadn't wrapped it. I said yeah,. Then how come you're surprised what you got? Are you getting Alzheimer's  so you can give your own gifts and be surprised? I had to explain that something different went in each of the little boxes and I had no idea which one I had left. For some goofy reason they thought that was really funny.

I hope all our members and families have a nice Christmas Day and look forward to a much better and safer 2021. I'm standing in line for my vaccine now (not really but soon).

Opened mine with coffee just a minute ago. I have a wonderful set of streamers tied by flytire. His elves' do very fine work and they tied a few patterns I've never used or seen before. Also have a few snowflakes that didn't melt in the mail and some material to try out. I hope everyone has a great Christmas Day can't get out of the house today we're getting 2020'ed by the weather, warm temp's with howling wind and heavy rain on top of the 18" of snow we had, already have water running out of the basement and down the street (dirt cellar probably been happing since 1840 when they built the house) usually doesn't happen until spring. They say we stand a good chance of loosing power, might be cooking Christmas dinner in a dutch oven on the grill in the rain. 

SECSANTA2020.jpg

Opened mine last night with family Christmas. 
OMG 😱 what an amazing set of flies and the greatest fly box ever. 

Thanks Again

Santa 

3925ABA9-D265-4D7D-AA43-A9F656EAF3C2.jpeg

006043C9-7344-46D7-812F-D878202BF88D.jpeg