Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fishinguy

Little black stonefly patterns.

Anybody have a favorite small simple stonefly  nymph pattern? I've read they're good on the Erie tribs for steelhead.  I'm going to have to order a few materials to tie the patterns I've seen. Wanted to ask around here to see what works for you guys before I order materials.

Like flytier said, the easiest one would be to get pheasant tail dyed black and tiea PT Nymph.  This one I tied up years ago that would probably work.

Hook:  size 16 to 18 straight eye dry fly hook(I'm cheap)

Thread: black, 6/0 or 8/0

Tail:  Peacock Herl Tips

Body:  Black dubbing of your choice

Thorax: Peacock herl

Soft Hackle:  Starling

Weight: optional.  I would use a small black bead head if I was tying it today.

1736314166_BlackPeacock_2.jpg.cd3b6376dbf4365c9b7574b77e5523f6.jpg

A dry fly version

Hook:  size 16 to 18 straight eye dry fly hook(I'm cheap)

Thread: black, 6/0 or 8/0

Egg Sack:  Red brown CDC feather wrapped

Body:  Black CDC feather wrapped

Wing:  Your choice, I've forgotten what I used

Hackle: Black

991119333_LittleBlackStonefly_2.jpg.c10ae474d1b243f01afc58d66df997c9.jpg

If you are talking about exact imitations of the really small spring stoneflies, they may get strikes but would not hold any steellhead I know of.  Stonefly nymphs of middling larger size but far short of the standard stonefly in size do work.

Years ago, I came across a youngster -- late teens -- on the Pere Marquette who was having a field day on steelies with a simple black wet stonefly nymph. He gave me one and I've used the pattern with considerable success since. 

The components are readily available and the tie is simple. 

A 1X strong, sharp, wet fly hook standard length will do in size 8 --- not as a platform for a bulky  fly but for the hook gape and strength. 

For the tail use two slightly spread, thin, black/gray biots a bit over half the hook shank length. 

The body is a thinly dubbed, shiny,  black synthetic dubbing slightly roughed up with velcro and just  a few wraps of small round silver tinsel.

Tie in a shortish black hen or dyed dyed black pheasant soft hackle at the head with a small bit of spacing between two wraps.  

Overall, the finished nymph should be trim, short -- @ 1 and 1/4", and have some movement in the water.  They fish best on 8lb Maxima camo leader at the most.     

This golden stone is probably tied on a #6 but I've tied them as small as a #12.  I tie in golden, black, and orange, no weight but you could use weighted beads in the appropriate color.

Materials:  biots, beads, arizona diamond dub, synthetic raffia, gunea fowl

DSC_0586.thumb.JPG.91e328f13c8c78850ed492c227c02efc.JPG

1 hour ago, Meeshka said:

This golden stone is probably tied on a #6 but I've tied them as small as a #12.  I tie in golden, black, and orange, no weight but you could use weighted beads in the appropriate color.

Materials:  biots, beads, arizona diamond dub, synthetic raffia, gunea fowl

@Meeshka (pic cut for brevity)  Very cool. I like it

1 hour ago, Meeshka said:

This golden stone

That is very nice looking.  What is the tie in procedure?  I imagine you're tying thread off and then back on again?

Golden stone tying proceedure:

1)  Put on 4 beads.  Bead size can even be graduated smaller as you go to tail

2) Tye on near bend of hook, and dub a ball that will split the biot tail and prevent the beads from sliding off. Tye off

3)  Push beads back and tye on near eye of hook.  Tye in 2 biot antenna and bring thread back to first bead

4)Tye in back rafffia wing cover, and using bodkin tye it back over itself at start point.  Now you can cut it but I prefer to tie to top of hook shank

5) using a dubbing loop tie in last segment of thorax

6) tie in second wingcase folded over

7) for the first wingcase cover just tie raffia back but do not tie over itself yet until you dub your first thorax segment

😎 dub your first thorax segment

9) tie and wrap gunea hackle

10) now fold over first wingcase and tie off.  Coat whip finish with Sally's.  And thats about it, and it is actually pretty repitive and not that difficult.  The biggest job is trying to get the proportions aesthetically pleasing.

Hope this helps

Doug

PS:  This fly has worked well for me as a dropper or by itself on the Bow River, AB