Fly Tying
DarrellP

Fly tying Christmas gifts you received

17 hours ago, TSMcDougald said:

Already posted pictures of my chistmas present in another thread. I did get another thing that I consider a christmas present. Our Golden Retriever managed to swallow four of the granddaughters pacifiers (we have no idea how he got them) and had emergency surgery on the 23rd to have them removed - three were in his stomach and one had made it to his small intestine. The christmas present part was we managed to come up with the money for the surgery on such short notice. He has been drugged up on pain meds since and as result is a lot less hyper.

As an ER vet for the last 10 years, you have no idea how common that is.  Especially in retrievers.  I am convinced that a dog will eat anything.  Underwear, socks, candles, money, jewelry, corn cobs, etc.  A couple of weeks ago I had to remove a foot long fondue fork.  How he swallowed that I don't know, but it was stretched from the cranial (front) end of his chest to his stomach.  Dog did fine.  Hope your Golden does well.  They are great family pets.

He is doing good. Staples come out on the 7th. He does go after socks, shoestrings, papertowels, etc. With him it is much worse when he doesn't get enough exercise.

I finally got a Loon UV light from my wife so I now don't have to struggle with head cement on my quill bodies and scud backs -as a classics devote it feels like I'm cheating somehow.  She also got me a few long sleeve shirts that I like and use for fishing. These will replace the my current group of fishing shirts which according to her were making me look homeless.  My daughters got me some ferrule wax and one of the magnetic "U" clamps that holds the rod in a standing position to the side of your vehicle while your rigging. 

On 12/30/2020 at 10:14 AM, TSMcDougald said:

He is doing good. Staples come out on the 7th. He does go after socks, shoestrings, papertowels, etc. With him it is much worse when he doesn't get enough exercise.

I’m glad it looks like he’ll be alright.  Life with a dog is wonderful, it’s not always easy but wonderful! 

Didn't get anything for tying as I have plenty. Just need time to tie and fish. I did get a couple of things for photography from the wife.

On 12/30/2020 at 9:30 AM, DarrellP said:

As an ER vet for the last 10 years, you have no idea how common that is.  Especially in retrievers.  I am convinced that a dog will eat anything.  Underwear, socks, candles, money, jewelry, corn cobs, etc.  A couple of weeks ago I had to remove a foot long fondue fork.  How he swallowed that I don't know, but it was stretched from the cranial (front) end of his chest to his stomach.  Dog did fine.  Hope your Golden does well.  They are great family pets.

Never had that problem with any dog we have had. Must be from clean living. As for eating anything, that also applies to relatives.

@TSMcDougald.   Glad your best friend is on the mend. Always been a concern ofmours

with our beloved Lab but fortunately he’s pretty good with not eating anything he shouldn’t.

Except STICKS . He loves them and it’s impossible for us to get him to stop.  Every man andevery

dog has his poison I guess.

Family had a boxer, when I was a child, that loved eating bees.  We had two apple trees in the front yard, and the bees would go after the rotten ones on the ground.  Candy would chase and snap up a bee.  She'd get stung, you could watch her reaction to that.  Then she'd go after another one.  

We figured the bee stings were like hot peppers to her.  Like some people who like the burn of hot peppers, she like the burn of bee stings.

Got two nice fly boxs which I really needed.  I have a birthday coming up and the Mrs said go for nice size fly shop order for some odds and ends- thread, hooks, dubbing, and some hackle- so can't wait.