Fly Tying

We are fortunate that there is actually no closed season in Tennessee. There are regulations for catch-and-release but nothing closed like other states. I recall when living in Queens,  NY that everyone would take off the opening day of trout season and stand shoulder to shoulder around pools.

Not just yet. About 3 more weeks before my fishing season starts. It's jig pouring season for me this week end so that's a sure sign that fishing season is knocking on the door. 

Overall, I'm pretty happy with Maine's regulations... there are a few stocked rivers in each county that are open year round, the rest are seasonal. Gives the native fish a break, I suppose. That being said, just a handful of weeks until everything opens and I can't wait! My free time is spent plotting and scheming very often right now, ha ha. 

I was unaware that fishing actually has an open and closed season in some areas. Fishing is always open in my neck of the woods. It may shut down briefly for certain species at certain times but there's always fishing, especially in the winter time when nothing is spawning. I just "close my season" when it's cold. The fishing sucks and my back don't like the cold so I simply stop fishing. I always assumed that's how it is for the rest of the country. 

As a kid, I remember looking forward to open day in Massachusetts as a big deal, until they went to year round fishing sometime in the mid '70s.  But I''m like Poopdeck, my season is effectively closed from Nov/Dec - March, but I will occasionally go out if the temps rise above 40 and the snow ain't too deep.   

looks like ct gov ned lamont has change our opening day to march 3 instead of april 10

thanks ned!

19 minutes ago, flytire said:

looks like ct gov ned lamont has change our opening day to march 3 instead of april 10

thanks ned!

Nice!!!! I'm hoping our governor does the same again this year. 

3 hours ago, niveker said:

As a kid, I remember looking forward to open day in Massachusetts as a big deal, until they went to year round fishing sometime in the mid '70s.  But I''m like Poopdeck, my season is effectively closed from Nov/Dec - March, but I will occasionally go out if the temps rise above 40 and the snow ain't too deep.   

As a lifetime resident of the Commonwealth I too remember trout opening day and I'm with you about the Nov/Dec - March.  I consider that fly tying season.  For me it's just to cold to make it enjoyable. 😱

2 hours ago, flytire said:

ct gov ned lamont has change our opening day to march 3 instead of april 10

I was surprised neighbor said they cut a hole in the ice to stock west hill pond at the boat ramp. hard for the crowd that follows the trucks 😁